Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Hello, New but Old

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, New but Old

Hello to Everyone

I am new but been here before a few years back. Having changed computers a few times and lost my way a bit, I just had to rejoin and sorry about new name, forgot old one..
    I have posted but it is in the visitors posts as I found my way around again. My interest is in TV soaps as I find the writing very poor and the storylines totally confusing and misleading. Eastenders is my main nagging point as the acting cannot really be called that as they just follow the poor script writing and just do as they are told for the sake of money.
    Where has the actors input gone? Please don't say Danny Dyer's rhyming slang, as that's a joke.
    For me a soap is an exaggerated reflection of real life that most who watch can relate to. Now most are just farcical where police and emergency services are totally incompetent.
    How do you view the soaps ?

I used to love and watch Coronation Street all the time when it had characters and good stories. Now it’s just murders and sensational stuff. Where are the characters and the funny bits. It is sheer rubbish now. I never liked Eastenders it is dreary and shouty.

Comment

The last time I watched Coronation Street was when Ena Sharples; Martha Longhurst and Minnie Caldwell were hogging a table together in The Rover’s Return and the landlord and landlady were Jack and Annie Walker and that’s going back a bit. I’ve never liked Eastenders. It’s all full of hatred and rowing and the characters all need to go on an anger management course.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap Talk View Post
        Hello to Everyone

I am new but been here before a few years back. Having changed computers a few times and lost my way a bit, I just had to rejoin and sorry about new name, forgot old one..
        I have posted but it is in the visitors posts as I found my way around again. My interest is in TV soaps as I find the writing very poor and the storylines totally confusing and misleading. Eastenders is my main nagging point as the acting cannot really be called that as they just follow the poor script writing and just do as they are told for the sake of money.
        Where has the actors input gone? Please don't say Danny Dyer's rhyming slang, as that's a joke.
        For me a soap is an exaggerated reflection of real life that most who watch can relate to. Now most are just farcical where police and emergency services are totally incompetent.
        How do you view the soaps ?
        I'm quite new here and I dislike "soaps" intensely. I was persuaded to watch Hollyoaks by a devoted fan, and I may have got a particularly tricky time in the narrative, but it baffled me. Apparently young married gay partners were each having a secret "affair" with the same schoolboy, of which one of the gay couple was the boy's schoolteacher. A new headmistress arrived at the school, who turned out to be the teacher's father (!) originally, but was unrecognised in the new gender. The other gay partner apparently has two children, and becomes engaged to a young lady, whilst having at least one further gay affair. The schoolboy falls in love with this partner, but he also has an affair with at least one other gay man and earns money by it. There are also lesbian couples, buildings on fire, gangsterism and violence, depression and all kinds of emotional and physical conflict. You know, exactly how life is in small villages (or not). At least the acting is worthy of the name, unlike the woodentops in the more "major" British soaps, but even so, above the league of the two big Australian series. Apart from the wannabe actors, these soaps not only copy each other's plot lines, but the actors alternate between the two rival series. Not that there are any particular story lines to follow anyway.
        Give me a good movie any day.
        Last edited by Judge Foozle; 8th January 2018, 05:56 AM.

Comment

• Shirley Brahms
          Shirley Brahms commented
          Editing a comment
          This is insane! We are living in very strange times.

I am so glad it's not just me who can see just how bad storylines are. Is it the writers living out their own fantasies at our expense. Hollyoaks is not on my radar yet but what a super insight by Judge Fuzzle into the 4th best UK rated soap. I am finding that a lot of storylines encourage crime, especially in Emmerdale where getting your hands on grands in cash is so easy through stealing cars or robbery. There was an episode where a women character withdrew £10,000 in cash using a fake id and the bank manager chased her outside because she had forgot the money. The police did nothing and £10,000 was just written off as if nothing. It should be a crime to write stories like this. Where has the research gone or do the writers just think this is how life is.
        People are being stabbed to death over nothing.
        I remember a TV documentry back in 94/95 where an officer from the Metropolitan Police held up a computer chip and said the immortal words "this is worth more than gold".
        That simple statement started the biggest crime wave in British history. That is the power of TV. For me I have no doubt that Emmerdale caused a rise in thefts of vehicles after it aired its car ringing storylines.
        Last edited by Soap Talk; 8th January 2018, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Indeed, the influence of soaps is quite disturbing. I remember reading that when a major character in either Eastenders or Coronation St. was killed off (the actor being alive and well) the studio was inundated with thousands of messages of condolence, bunches and wreaths of flowers and endless phone calls.
          The dreaded Australian soaps return today after the Xmas break and I have to admit to a sneaky peek or two, because I'm fascinated by Australia, and some of the scenery is stunning.

Comment

I was having a clear out today and found 50 episodes of Prisoner Cell Block H which is Australian but not sure about scenery content in it yet..

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
              The last time I watched Coronation Street was when Ena Sharples; Martha Longhurst and Minnie Caldwell were hogging a table together in The Rover’s Return and the landlord and landlady were Jack and Annie Walker and that’s going back a bit. I’ve never liked Eastenders. It’s all full of hatred and rowing and the characters all need to go on an anger management course.
              Maybe not just in character either. Around the year that Corrie started I was a student in Manchester, and I saw the old guy who played Albert Tatlock walking towards me in Peter Street. Naturally I said: "Excuse me....." intending to get an autograph for my mum, and he replied "Bugger hoff".

Comment

Originally posted by Soap Talk View Post
                I was having a clear out today and found 50 episodes of Prisoner Cell Block H which is Australian but not sure about scenery content in it yet..
                I think you'll find most of the "scenery"is the inside of a prison.

Comment

Found another 2 dvds with what looks like "the Boy in the Bush", looking forward to watching as no idea what it is and never heard of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X