Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Greetings From A New Member

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings From A New Member

Hello. My name is CanterburyTale, and I am a self-confessed film obsessive (No prizes for guessing my favourite). I love all genres and nationalities of filmmaking, predominantly from the Silents to the 1970's, but enjoy many of the current releases too. I love the work of Basil Dearden, Robert Hamer, Michael Powell. Carol Reed, Ken Hughes and Lance Comfort, while some of my favourite actors are Michael Wilding, Yvonne Mitchell, Nigel Patrick, Richard Attenborough and Peter Cushing. I look forward to a happy time chatting with the many friendly, knowledgable folks here on the britmovie forum. Thank you.

Hello CanterburyTale,
    Do you prefer the films of the original Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales" or Powell & Pressburger's 1944 "A Canterbury Tale"?

Steve

Comment

• CanterburyTale
      CanterburyTale commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Steve,

I am referring to Powell and Pressburger's 1944 film. I love it, but I know that some people regard it as a bit of a 'curate's egg'.

CT

Good, I’m glad to hear that you prefer the “proper” film. I run the Powell and Pressburger Appreciation Society (PaPAS) with the email list behind it where we share new & views about P&P, the people and their films (and other works).

There’s also our annual ACT location walk on the last Sunday in August every year.

Yes, ACT can be a bit of a 'curate's egg' at times to some people. I always say that you have to slow down to the pace of it to really appreciate it

Welcome to BritMovie
    ​​​​​​​
    Steve

Comment

• CanterburyTale
      CanterburyTale commented
      Editing a comment
      I am a huge fan of The Archers, and also Powell's earlier films such as Rynox and The Night Of The Party. Thanks for letting me know about the P&P website. CT

Powell's early films, before he met Pressburger, are usually quite interesting. He often tries out things in them which he later does properly / better when he has got the full team around him.

Some of them he never tries again, like His Lordship (1932), a musical with a couple of comedy Bolsheviks. But even that has quite a lot to recommend it

They're all worth watching, sometimes once is enough though

Steve

Comment

Not so much a curates egg more a stinker,though I appreciate you may be glued to the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
        Not so much a curates egg more a stinker,though I appreciate you may be glued to the screen.
        A stinker? A film that still attracts a collection of devotees every year?
        http://www.powell-Pressburger.org/Tr...919/index.html
        for the screening in the Cathedral and
        http://www.powell-Pressburger.org/Trips/Canterbury
        for the annual gathering

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X