Hello from Yorkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackie R View Post

Hi, Yes, I do still have my West Yorkshire accent - wouldn't want to lose it! I think the Yorkshire accent is the same all over Yorkshire, but not sure. My children all have Aussie accents, but understand me On my first trip back in '87 after 20yrs, my younger sisters said they were expecting me to have an Aussie accent! Are you Yorkshire born then, if so, which part?
    The Yorkshire accent is not the same all over Yorkshire. When "All Creatures Great and Small" was being shown on TV in the 1970s and 80s, my parents' big bone of contention was that the farmers had a variety of generic northern accents (some even from That Other County That Must Not Be Named [Lancashire]), but not one of them had a genuine Yorkshire Dales (specifically Wensleydale where it was mostly filmed) accent. My parents have a holiday cottage in a tiny village in Wensleydale (they bought it when we lived in Wakefield and could drive up to near Leyburn each weekend to renovate the cottage) so we know the particular lilt of the local accent very well. See if you can find any videos on Youtube of Hannah Hauxwell - although she lived a bit further north, her accent and her intonation were very similar to the woman who ran the farm in our village (with the aid of her 8 children, but no husband after he was killed in a tractor accident).

Compare that accent with Alan Bennett (refined Leeds accent), Ian MacMillan and Michael Parkinson (Barnsley) or Maureen Lipman (Hull). The Wensleydale accent has a little hint of Geordie (Newcastle) accent and other places in that area (Sunderland etc).

My grandpa came from Dewsbury and although he was a headmaster and therefore in a "professional" job, he retained his West Riding accent. Thankfully we have a long tape recording of him talking about some of his memories of earlier times in the Dewsbury area, to remember him and his accent. He tells the story that some time in the 1950s he was asked to give a talk about railways (his hobby) on Children's Hour, a magazine programme for children on the radio, but they didn't like his regional accent. Grandpa bitterly resented being told to speak differently, when his own accent would be easily understood by children throughout the country, So he rebelled. He studied the "refined" accent of BBC announcers and hammed it up dreadfully - they gave him a "transcription disc" shellac-on-aluminium 78 rpm record of his talk, so we could hear his put-on accent which was recognisably him but in an accent unknown to humankind! At one point he uttered the phrased "And so by now the smoke is coming from the chimney like a bullet from a gun", but it came out as "End sew bai naow the smaoke is camming from the chimney laike a ballett fram a gan". I wonder if the BBC realised he was mercilessly taking the piss!

I used to have a noticeable Leeds (and later Wakefield) accent, though I remember being teased a bit at school because it was less strong ("posher") than most other people's. Since as a family we moved down south in the late 70s, I've lived most of my life down there, and my Yorkshire accent has gradually got less strong - not because I *tried* to lose it (unlike my sister who made a conscious effort to fit in) but just because I didn't hear other people's voices to reinforce my own. Having been back in Yorkshire (near Malton, and then near Bridlington) for a few years, it's starting to return...

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for that but as it happens I've got two Fred Trueman books one of which I think is written by the great John Arlott and also the Michael Parkinson book in which apart from cricket he also tells of his love of western films of which I am also a great fan.

The ''Ball Of Fire' one is written by Fred himself right from his being born through to the present day at the time. I had a look and it was written in first '76 then published again in '77. Got photos too, great picture in colour on the front of Fred bowling. I've nearly finished reading the 'Parky' one for the second time. I thought I hadn't read it, but realised I had awhile ago, but kept on reading it anyway. Fred is a very good writer, and he had to be to keep my interest through the cricket parts.

Comment

Working...
      X