Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Another Nice Member

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think little is known about James Finlayson's early appearances, i believe he first appeared in films around 1914, also he was a Keystone Cop.

Comment

Indeed he was. Rather than going over it all again, perhaps I can be permitted to offer this:
      http://www.judgefoozlesforum.com/showthread.php?tid=25

Comment

Judge, i tried to view that forum but i had to register which i was unable to do because i didn't enter a 'Location', there didn't seem to be an option to do this though.

Comment

Originally posted by philly View Post
          Judge, i tried to view that forum but i had to register which i was unable to do because i didn't enter a 'Location', there didn't seem to be an option to do this though.
          Thanks for letting me know. I was wondering why we hadn't had any new members for a while. I've deleted a few fields from the process and it might be OK now, but in any case the registration is set to "instant acceptance". Unfortunately our computer whizz is no longer available and it's all a mystery to me. Please try again and see what happens. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks have registered now but still can't view until 'activated' by the administrator.

Comment

Yes, thanks for registering. You are activated now. It's normally "instant" but I was busy with a script on Skype. Five "spammers" also in the queue, which is why there's activation. (and 2 other new members). It's a long story but we had a manic who joined and hacked all our controls, so we are more careful these days.

Comment

I have ordered DVD of Way Out West which also features Big Business, can't wait. If you hear uproarious laughter next time you log-in, that'll be me.

I don't know how old Judge Foozle is, but when I was growing up in the 70s the BBC often used to show comedy shorts, even silent ones, and Laurel & Hardy would often fill a spare ten minute slot. Their theme tune alone would have us laughing in anticipation even before the film started.
                Last edited by agutterfan; 15th August 2017, 09:02 PM. Reason: mispelt his name - shame on me!

Comment

Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
                  I have ordered DVD of Way Out West which also features Big Business, can't wait. If you hear uproarious laughter next time you log-in, that'll be me.

I don't know how old Judge Woozle is, but when I was growing up in the 70s the BBC often used to show comedy shorts, even silent ones, and Laurel & Hardy would often fill a spare ten minute slot. Their theme tune alone would have us laughing in anticipation even before the film started.
                  If ever there was a case of "best of".....The best feature and the best silent (in my book anyway). Never heard of Judge Woozle, but the co-star of Big Business (James Finlayson) played Judge Foozle in Do Detectives Think?, and therein lies a longer tale involving Bob Monkhouse, but we won't go into that. Of course Jimmy is central to Way Out West too, he gets everywhere.
                  Actually, today's Judge Foozle can remember when Laurel and Hardy were on the bill of Saturday morning "flicks", which had a short, a cartoon or two and a "cowboy" film with the predictable ending of the cavalry or sheriff's posse saving the hero from the injuns, or a lone horseman racing with a steam train to cut a maiden from the track just in time - all for 6d.
                  Don't know that particular DVD, but there are endless combinations of selected films to re-sell them, and in my book any source of L & H is fine. The Universal 21-disc set is still great value, with all the silent shorts, the sound shorts in colour and black and white, but with some of the feature films missing. Should be available for about £50 these days and well worth it.
                  I'll listen out for the laughter, which is guaranteed. Way Out West is my favourite L & H movie. A bit of everything - music, dancing, hysterical laughter and even the hint of a credible story. I know you'll enjoy both, but as you watch Big Business, please be assured that the house is the correct one and that the real owner was watching the filming day by day, with increasing levels of anxiety (William Terhune).

Comment

Originally posted by agutterfan View Post

I don't know how old Judge Foozle is, but when I was growing up in the 70s the BBC often used to show comedy shorts, even silent ones, and Laurel & Hardy would often fill a spare ten minute slot. Their theme tune alone would have us laughing in anticipation even before the film started.
                    That or the cartoon series!

Comment

Working...
                    X