Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

President Donald Trump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Donald Trump

It is beyond me as to how the US public could put this man in the White House. The war of words between North Korea leader and Trump. This reminds me of a couple of bratty 10 year olds arguing over, who has the bigest arsenal. This is not the way that the President of the US should act.

Mark O will be along shortly to put you right on this.

Comment

I don't understand what problem you have with Trump over this? The fruitcake in N.Korea started it and is making all the threats why would you not expect a response from a (ie any) a leader of a nation in the firing line?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Quark View Post
        I don't understand what problem you have with Trump over this? The fruitcake in N.Korea started it and is making all the threats why would you not expect a response from a (ie any) a leader of a nation in the firing line?
        Apart from all the threats from the fruitcake in the USA who is suggesting all sorts of death and destruction on the fruitcake in N. Korea ;0

It doesn't matter who started it, it takes two to make an argument

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Eric7885 View Post
          It is beyond me as to how the US public could put this man in the White House. The war of words between North Korea leader and Trump. This reminds me of a couple of bratty 10 year olds arguing over, who has the bigest arsenal. This is not the way that the President of the US should act.
          Trump is brilliant. I wish he was our PM. And calling those who advocate common sense before left wing PC insanity "fruitcakes" is an old and outdated, ploy of the old and outdated left.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Quark View Post
            My understanding is that they proposed firing missles towards Guam, not actually at it, and it's the sort of statement that the N Korean leadership have been making for years. No-one else felt the need to escalate, or it they did then it was through appropriate diplomatic channels, not twitter. Essentially, the people of Guam are caught in the middle of a spate between two leaders, neither of whom they had any say in electing.

Giving his low rating in the polls, Mr Trump may will be looking for the sort of boost that generally comes with a bit of armed conflict with a much less powerful and politically isolated country.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O

I don't blame them for voting Trump, at least he's put back the bust of Winston Churchill in it's rightful place, unlike the previous bloke who shut it away in a broom cupboard, and said Britain will be punished for leaving the EU, with his derogatory "go to the back of the queue" speech...
              I vaguely remember we dealt with this in the old forum, I may be misremembering. Anyway, there were two busts of Churchill in the White House, one on loan to George Bush and returned at the end of his presidency (actually I believe the loan was extended into the Obama era), and one that belongs to the White House and was there, is there' and probably will stay there for the foreseeable future. Whatever Obama keeps in the cupboard, it isn't Winston's bust.

Comment

Originally posted by John Hamilton View Post

I vaguely remember we dealt with this in the old forum, I may be misremembring.
                You're not. Mark was put right on this a while back, but he still trots out the old 'bust in the cupboard' nonsense.

Comment

Storm in a teacup, all thanks to sloppy reporting, as explained in the last paragraph.

This from Peter Hartcher, political editor and international editor The Sydney Morning Herald.

Is Kim Jong-un mad? You could be forgiven for thinking so thanks to media reports about his general setting out publicly a detailed plan for the bombing of a US island, Guam, home to a huge American military base.

But many news outlets have been a bit sloppy in their reporting of the North Korean threat. Two key facts were omitted in most of the news reporting. First, the North Koreans are at no point threatened to bomb the island of Guam, which has a civilian population of some 150,000 as well as 12,000 military personnel and their families, on the Pentagon's figures.

Specifically, the commander of the North Korean Army's Strategic Force, General Kim Rak-gyom, said the force was "carefully examining the operational plan for making an enveloping fire at the areas around Guam with the medium-to-long-range strategic ballistic rocket Hwasong-12," based on the English-language version supplied by the official Korean Central News Agency.

Even more specifically, four missiles would fly over Japan at 3,356.7 kilometres for 1,065 seconds and land in waters 30 kilometres to 40 kilometres off the coast of Guam, Kim's statement said. Its purpose would be to "contain" the US strategic forces on Guam. Kim said he would present the plan to the supreme command by mid-August.This is a different proposition to a threat to bomb the island. Of course, it presupposes a degree of accuracy that may be more hope than reality.

Second, North Korea is always careful to avoid threatening a first strike on the US or any country. As the director of the Korean Studies Institute at the University of Southern California, David Kang, told The Washington Post: "The big thing we keep missing about North Korea is that their threats are always the second half of a sentence, and we ignore the first half. North Korea consistently says, 'If the US attacks us first, we will fight back'. The only thing that gets reported in the US media is the second clause, not the first. So their comments are clearly deterrent in nature, and the Guam 'threat' was exactly along those lines. So we always overhype the North Korean threat." What's true of the US media is equally true of the Australian.
                  We may know more about Kim's thinking than we do about Trump's. Kim has been leader for over a year and represents the third generation of consistent Kim dynasty ...
                  Last edited by Shirley Brahms; 15th August 2017, 05:31 PM. Reason: (Just to close the large gap between text and link.)

Comment

I vaguely remember we dealt with this in the old forum, I may be misremembering. Anyway, there were two busts of Churchill in the White House, one on loan to George Bush and returned at the end of his presidency (actually I believe the loan was extended into the Obama era), and one that belongs to the White House and was there, is there' and probably will stay there for the foreseeable future. Whatever Obama keeps in the cupboard, it isn't Winston's bust.
                    We did indeed, and this is the link that will.15 directed Mark O to in March last year, whereupon Mark O acknowledged that he was mistaken.
                    The article is dated July 27 2012, and is written by Dan Pfeiffer, former Senior Advisor to U.S. President Barack Obama for Strategy and Communications.

So Mark, may we please consider this settled once and for all?
                    The bust of Winston Churchill has a prominent place in the White House -- in the Residence, outside the Treaty Room.

Comment

To get serious for a moment. Who has the worst haircut, Trump or Kim Jung-in?

Comment

Ah. the lunatic fringe.

Comment

To get serious for a moment. Who has the worst haircut, Trump or Kim Jung-in?
                          That's a tough one, John!

Wouldn't it be funny if BoJo was Britain's PM and Geert Wilders was Holland's? The Ferocious 4!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O

Kim, definitely, looks like a burnt sausage roll on his head lol.

Uncle Donnie is lucky that he has not suffered baldness, I have no doubt many lades fancy him, for his golden aura, in every way.
                            Suffer baldness? Good grief! Bald is beautiful. Besides, Trump's hair colour is fake. (Symbolic?)

Ah, that's better. He almost looks human!

Comment

Love this!

Comment

Working...
                              X