Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

More than a bit threatening.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • More than a bit threatening.

    I recently received through my letterbox a glossy colour pamphlet inviting me to a religious meeting at a nearby community centre and that informed me that unless I accepted Jesus Christ into my life as my Lord and Saviour, I would definitely go to hell when I died and be there for eternity. I thought that was more than a bit threatening. There's no need to die to go to hell, as it exists in many places in this world, especially Syria, and I can't see God or Jesus doing anything about that. In fact, there's already more than enough pain and suffering in this world whether you believe in God or not.


  • #2
    A heaven full of religious fundamentalists, of any persuasion, is not somewhere that I'd look forward to.

    Comment


    • #3
      Like all religions, once you join they just want 10% (minimum) of your income for life.

      If they knock your door, tell them where to go !

      Comment


      • #4
        Does the leaflet give the name of this 'sect' ?

        Sounds like a load of scaremongering again, thing is some people will be taken in by it.

        Comment


        • #5
          On the leaflet, they call themselves The Redeemed Christian Church of God. They've taken over an old building in Stoke and renamed it The Redemption Community Centre. It's a certainty that I'll never go, because, as I explained once before, praying and singing hymns reminds me of morning assembly at school and my school life wasn't a very happy one. However, to be fair to them, I should also add that fifty years ago, at the age of 20, I took the advice of Billy Graham on television and asked Jesus to come into my life and accepted him as my Lord and Saviour, ect, and....well, absolutely nothing happened. My life didn't change for the better in any way. To me, being a logical sort of fellow, this could only mean that either Jesus didn't exist, or, if he did, he just didn't give a toss about me, which those at The Redemption Centre would find hard to explain.

          Comment


          • #6
            We don't get any bible-bashers here where I live now, but many years ago when living in Manchester I'd get some turning up at my door from time to time trying to "convert" me, so to speak. I used to throw the argument back at them by telling them that I would be happy to stand here and convince them into believing there was no such thing as God. The conversation came to a very swift conclusion and they were on their way in no time.

            Comment


            • #7
              When I lived in Manchester an old bloke knocked on our door. He was a Jehova's witness & he was soaked to the skin as it was pouring down.
              He looked so down like he'd been having a hard time door knocking that I invited him in & gave him a cup of tea. He was a nice bloke & wasn't upset because I
              showed no interest in his religion. He was just pleased to get out of the rain for a bit!

              Comment


              • #8
                I once had a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door who started off by saying "Isn't it terrible that there's so much evil in the world"
                I replied "No, I think that it's quite good"
                They beat a hasty retreat thinking that they'd knocked on the door of the Devil incarnate

                Had they hung around I would have developed the argument telling them that without some evil you don't know how good the good things are and that it would be boring if everyone was good all of the time

                Steve

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
                  I recently received through my letterbox a glossy colour pamphlet inviting me to a religious meeting at a nearby community centre and that informed me that unless I accepted Jesus Christ into my life as my Lord and Saviour, I would definitely go to hell when I died and be there for eternity. I thought that was more than a bit threatening.
                  That's nothing new, dbf, it's exactly what Christianity is all about - salvation. It's a religion based on fear - fear of the devil, fear of going to hell when you die. The only way to go to heaven is to accept Jesus into your heart and give your life to him.

                  "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." -John chapter 3, verse 16

                  "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." -John chapter 14, verse 6.

                  Christianity invented the need for salvation. It's a ploy to inspire you to lead a good life, so that's not a bad thing in itself, but yes, it can make you feel threatened. The evangelical churches are big on that. The more conventional denominations play it down.

                  I have Christian friends who pray for my soul because I'm a non-believer........
                  Bless them!





                  The Redeemed Christian Church of God was founded in 1952 in Nigeria. It now has a presence in 196 countries. Headquarters are in Lagos.

                  Must say, I quite like their music.


                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9vc...y7eqOM&index=1








                  Last edited by Shirley Brahms; 19th March 2017, 02:17 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    They could do with re-uploading that video in the correct aspect ratio. It looks dreadfully distorted all stretched out like that. They don't seem to understand that the basic principle of showmanship is good presentation. Or, if a film's worth showing, it's worth showing properly, However, the music's okay if you don't look at the pictures. As for myself, I'm not so much a non-believer as a don't know-er and I am not easily lead, like a lot of these clap-happy born again Christians and they would find it impossible to get me to worship like them. I'm just not a clap-happy type of person. If their movement was founded in Nigeria, that accounts for a lot of photos of black people being on the pamphlet. I would certainly look out of place as the only white face among the congregation, which is another good reason for not going. However, the best thing I could ask them is where is this Jesus they're so mad about? I'm 70 now and I've never seen him. But if, when they see him next, they'll ask him to drop in at my flat and I'm able to see him with my own eyes and have a chat with him, then I'll believe he exists. Now, that's fair, isn't it?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      There does seem to be a rule of thumb that the longer and more convoluted the name of a church, the more hardline they tend to be. I think this is a leaflet that can safely binned. Ever so often, I get a flyer through my door for a someone who can apparently make or cure curses! I recycle sensibly...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
                        On the leaflet, they call themselves The Redeemed Christian Church of God. They've taken over an old building in Stoke and renamed it The Redemption Community Centre. It's a certainty that I'll never go, because, as I explained once before, praying and singing hymns reminds me of morning assembly at school and my school life wasn't a very happy one. However, to be fair to them, I should also add that fifty years ago, at the age of 20, I took the advice of Billy Graham on television and asked Jesus to come into my life and accepted him as my Lord and Saviour, ect, and....well, absolutely nothing happened. My life didn't change for the better in any way. To me, being a logical sort of fellow, this could only mean that either Jesus didn't exist, or, if he did, he just didn't give a toss about me, which those at The Redemption Centre would find hard to explain.
                        My School days were very unhappy ones also.

                        I hated every minute, which in turn led me to have 'I wish I was never born' type rantings towards my relatively elderly parents during the difficult adolescent years.

                        To this day I have a dislike of School Teachers, and all Sport is one big bore to me.

                        As for the Redeemed Church, their invitation reminds me of a 70's episode of Z Cars, where young people in the town were taken in by this 'Preacher', who required gifts to be brought to him, (not sure if it was a Church, or hired Hall), when the item was handed over, he said 'this gift is much acceptable, blah, blah, blah', or 'this gift is not acceptable, etc;' lol, it was all a big con !

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by narabdela View Post
                          A heaven full of religious fundamentalists, of any persuasion, is not somewhere that I'd look forward to.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
                            I recently received through my letterbox a glossy colour pamphlet inviting me to a religious meeting at a nearby community centre and that informed me that unless I accepted Jesus Christ into my life as my Lord and Saviour, I would definitely go to hell when I died and be there for eternity. I thought that was more than a bit threatening. There's no need to die to go to hell, as it exists in many places in this world, especially Syria, and I can't see God or Jesus doing anything about that. In fact, there's already more than enough pain and suffering in this world whether you believe in God or not.
                            A friend of mine has a sign on her front door saying, "We do not buy gas, insurance, or religion at this door." Seems to work.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                              I once had a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door who started off by saying "Isn't it terrible that there's so much evil in the world"
                              I replied "No, I think that it's quite good"
                              They beat a hasty retreat thinking that they'd knocked on the door of the Devil incarnate
                              My mother once got the line about there being more natural disasters and wars. She calmly pointed out that that was not the case, but rather because of modern media comminications we were more aware of disasters and wars that previously would have only occupied a couple of column inches on page 27 of The Times.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X