Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Chuck Berry Dies aged 90

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Berry Dies aged 90

Chuck Berry..... Pioneer of Rock 'n' Roll.... Father of Rock.... Grandfather of Rock....
    Whatever tag you want to give him, definitely a rock 'n' roll legend.

https://au.be.yahoo.com/entertainmen...hoo7-be/#page1

Sorry to read this but inevitable of course. Chuck was ‘quite a lad’ in his younger days but his reputation surprisingly survived. I saw him perform in 1964 in Manchester when he was still in his prime; also on that bill were Carl Perkins and The Animals. One of my friends from that era had an LP of Chuck’s called ‘One Dozen Berries’ and we played in incessantly – IMHO one of the best albums of the Rock ‘n Roll era.

Comment

Very sad news, but 90 (he would have been 91 later this year) is a good innings. Oddly, I only ever bought one of his singles and that was when I began collecting records in the early months of 1964 and that was No Particular Place To Go, which I still have in my collection 53 years later. Rest In Peace.

Comment

Rest In Peace ... a legend. Rock 'n' Roll wouldn't have been the same without him. He made the guitar the instrument of choice.

Comment

Surely the greatest Rock'n'Roll writer of all time. I saw him at the Odeon Hammersmith around 30 or more years ago when he came on stage unannounced and strolled around for about ten minutes strumming guitar riffs before launching into Roll Over Beethoven which of course brought the house down.He did all his .great numbers that night and was fantastic.The Beatles early stage acts used to include loads of his songs with John Lennon doing the vocals on Johnny B Goode, Rock'n Roll Music, Memphis Tennessee, Sweet Little Sixteen, Too Much Monkey Business and more. The Stones used his material as well to good effect.
          His lyrics and guitar playing have made him a legend.

Rest in Peace Chuck, knowing that nobody will ever rest as long as your music is being played.

Comment

Blimey, cassidy, I think I may have been there. Did a guy in a white sports coat get onstage and dance until he was thrown off stage and marched down the aisle and into the street? And a little 8 year old ted did some Elvis shapes onstage? Great gig, dull audience. The first time I heard Elmore James' "It Hurts Me Too" - to me always Chuck Berry's "It Hurts Me Too".
            Even at 90, this is one who went too soon, motorvatin' up to Heaven in a coffee-coloured Cadillac. He will gun his motor twice, then drive inside.

Comment

........or it might be his little Jaguar or Thunderbird Four !!

Comment

A live gig from 1972 (I think) has been shown a few times here on BBC4...

Comment

One of "the big five" founding fathers of R&R whose influence was virtually incalculable. Several years older than the rest of those early rockers and therefore deserving his father of Rock & Roll tag. Impressive as his canon of seminal standards is, I can't be the only one perennially annoyed by a tripe novelty song being his only number one hit single. Keeping the mighty Slade's "Gudbuy T'Jane" at number two adds insult to injury. But back to the positive: 90 is a good run even by clean living standards. To leave such a legacy as his is the stuff of legend. One of the great joy bringers.

Comment

Just found a load of Chuck Berry stuff on You Tube. Chuck with John Lennon singing Johnny B Goode and Memphis Tennessee , Then an amazing jam session with Keith Richard and Eric Clapton, then Nadine backed by Keith Richard Jeff Beck and others. Lots more as well. Enjoy !!

Comment

Working...
                    X