Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Experiment - saving threads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiment - saving threads

Just wondered if it would be possible to copy threads over here by simply copying and pasting. Would it take up too much bandwidth?

Here's one of my favourite threads. I've gone to print view and copied. Let's see if this works.

Old British Comedy crime film

Printable View
    • 18-02-11, 10:07 AM
      pablo234
      Old British Comedy crime film
      Hi.
      I wonder if anyone can help me. I remember seeing a British comedy crime film in the 1950s or 1960s, that at one point involved the gang, dressed in cassocks and surplices, going through (I think) the sewers, singing (after a fashion) "He who would valiant be... to be a pilgrim". I cannot remember the name of the film, or who was in it; I have looked at several candidates, including "Two Way Stretch", "The Lavender Hill Mob", etc., but cannot find it. I remember I found it very funny at the time, and would love to be able to see it again.
      Any ideas?
    • 18-02-11, 10:09 AM
      Euryale
      Re: Old British Comedy crime film
      Crooks in Cloisters?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057974/

They dress as monks in that, but it may not be the one.

E.
    • 18-02-11, 10:11 AM
      pablo234
      Quote:

Originally Posted by Euryale View Post
      Crooks in Cloisters?

E.

Thanks, Euryale. I'll try to find it.

Update: Having looked at the description of this film on IMDB, I don't think it is the one I am seeking - which was not set in a monastery in Cornwall as far as I recall...
    • 18-02-11, 11:15 AM
      DB7
      Quote:

Originally Posted by pablo234 View Post
      . to be a pilgrim".

I've got Peter Sellers in my head but I thinks that Heavens Above! Can't think of any sewer/heist comedies.
    • 18-02-11, 12:01 PM
      pablo234
      Thanks, DB7. I may be wrong about the sewers, but I'm pretty sure it was a crime comedy, and that there was an underground sequence with singing in cassocks and surplices. Peter Sellers rings a bell with me, too.
    • 01-10-12, 08:48 AM
      onedegreeunder
      Hi,

Sorry for bumping an old post, but I came across this when doing a Google search to try and find this film.
      I also remember seeing this sequence on TV sometime in either the late sixties or early seventies.
      Been trying for years to remember/find out what it is.
      As I now know it's not just me "misremembering", can some knowledgeable person here help to
      find out which film this was in? - it's driving me mad. If Peter Sellers really was in it, I can't imagine
      why it's so obscure given that his work is so well known.
    • 01-10-12, 01:57 PM
      Windyridge
      Could it be Two Way Stretch? - only Wilfred Hyde White plays a vicar, but it does have Peter Sellers in the cast.
      Go to Blazes? Or was that firemen?:lol:
      Crooks Anonymous?
    • 01-10-12, 10:38 PM
      gumby1987
      Crooks Anonymous is a very good shout! (and a very good film!)
    • 02-10-12, 12:41 PM
      onedegreeunder
      Thanks for the replies guys. I also initially thought it was two way stretch, but I've seen that recently and it isn't (though they do use the
      drains to escape from/re-enter prison).
      I'll have to try and get a copy of Crooks Anonymous - I don't remembmer that one, but none of the plot synopses online mention monks
      or a scene in the sewers.
      I seem to vaguely remember that the reason they were singing in the first place was so that their accomplices??,who were at street level,
      would know whereabouts they were - I might have misremembered that bit though!

Any other suggestions? I'd be eternally grateful if someone could give a definite answer.

Cheers!
    • 02-10-12, 11:15 PM
      gumby1987
      Is it The Big Job? A B & W "pseudo-Carry On" film starring Sid James, Dick Emery and Lance Percival.... They play a gang of crooks who dig a tunnel to break into a police yard... underneath the policeman's choir (conducted by Deryck Guyler)
    • 02-10-12, 11:17 PM
      gumby1987
      Nothing about monks habits though....
    • 03-10-12, 11:07 AM
      CaptainWaggett
      There's no monks in Crooks Anonymous though it's still a great film.
    • 03-10-12, 04:19 PM
      Friese-Greene
      With all the experts on here not being able to help you, methinks after 60 odd years you may be getting two/three films mixed together - it happens, as it has to me...........frequently!

And bits drop off, or no longer work..........
    • 04-10-12, 08:51 AM
      onedegreeunder
      Quote:

Originally Posted by Friese-Greene View Post
      With all the experts on here not being able to help you, methinks after 60 odd years you may be getting two/three films mixed together - it happens, as it has to me...........frequently!

And bits drop off, or no longer work..........

I could well have believed this myself, until I realised from the OP here (pablo 234, if you still post here, do you remember any further details?)
      that someone else remembered exactly the same combination of (somewhat unusual) elements. I just seems so unlikely that 2 people could independently mix up the same elements from different films.
      I could imagine that this might have been in a TV show rather than a film, though that's not how I remember it, but I'm sure this scene
      was broadcast in some form as described (it would be about 40 yeas ago, not 60 and I'm almost sure I saw it more than once in the early 70s).

Thanks for all your ideas though guys, much appreciated - if anyone else has an idea and want to chime in, please do -
      this thing is really getting to me now - I've just got to know! :wallbash:

• 04-10-12, 09:07 AM
      CaptainWaggett
      Isn't there some cassock-wearing and singing in the Dad's Army film?
    • 04-10-12, 09:32 AM
      onedegreeunder
      Thanks for the suggestion CaptainWagget, but I've got that and it's not the one I'm afraid.
    • 04-10-12, 09:54 AM
      CaptainWaggett
      It does sound the sort of thing that might have happened in an ITC series but folks here tend to be fairly well up on The Avengers and stuff like that
    • 04-10-12, 03:27 PM
      Friese-Greene

"I could imagine that this might have been in a TV show rather than a film,"

Ahh, now there's Dave Allen of course - many a sketch involving clergy. Yes/No?
    • 04-10-12, 05:34 PM
      onedegreeunder
      Quote:

Originally Posted by Friese-Greene View Post

"I could imagine that this might have been in a TV show rather than a film,"

Ahh, now there's Dave Allen of course - many a sketch involving clergy. Yes/No?

Always possible of course, though the "remembered" plot line seems like it might
      be a bit long to be just one sketch in a show. I'd be happy whatever it turns out
      to be as long as someone can point me at the specific film/sketch/episode.

CaptainWagget:- good suggestion - there was a classic episode
      of the "New Avengers" called "Gnaws" where giant mutated rats ran havoc
      through the sewers. Great story, but not my quarry unfortunately.
      It wasn't 'till I started trying to find the name of this online that I realised
      just how many films feature the sewers in some way -weird!

Keep the suggestions coming - if 2 people remember it, it must exist/have existed in some form - surely
      someone must know! :thumbsup:
    • 21-12-12, 10:57 PM
      SilverTyne
      *bump

Thought I'd bump this for anyone who's got a bit of spare time to research over the holidays.
    • 24-12-12, 12:54 PM
      onedegreeunder
      Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverTyne View Post
      *bump

Thought I'd bump this for anyone who's got a bit of spare time to research over the holidays.

Thanks, still desperate to find out what this film, or whatever it was is.

Films I know it's not because I've seen them fairly recently:

Two way stretch
      Too many Crooks
      Down among the Z men
      After the Fox
      The Wrong Box
      The Naked Truth
      How to Steal a Million

Trying to eliminate as many not-so-well know P.S.
      films as possible as several people vaguely associate him
      with it.

Thanks for all suggetions unsure:
    • 26-12-12, 09:25 PM
      andrew61
      I recall that in "Crooks Anonymous" (1962) the various crooks (Leslie Phillips, Stanley Baxter, ) are dressed as Father Christmas (rather appropriateky for the moment).

I think it was Julie Christie's second film?
    • 26-12-12, 09:33 PM
      Gerald Lovell
      I watched Crooks Anonymous again recently, but there are no scenes which tie in with the original post in this thread.

So I had to split it into two and remove some emojis. There is a character limit of 10,000 words and a limit to various codes.

Here's the rest. Please let me know if all this needs removing.
    • onedegreeunder
      Just been browsing some of the older posts in the forum and came across these:

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/ca...film-title.htm

This sounds as though it has similar elements, though the OP doesn't metion monks or singing. Didn't get a definitive answer at the time,
      I wonder if it's the same film?

More recently the film Seven times Seven was discussed here:

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/ca...-hospital.html

The plot of this sounds remarkably similar to the Peter Sellers film "Two Way Stretch" , in that they
      break out of prison to commit the robbery then break back in afterwards. So much so that
      I could well believe I'd mixed the two up - for years before I saw it again I thought
      the monks film was Two way stretch.

Can't find this on youtube or anywhere else, does anyone here know this film well enough to
      say if it could be the one I'm after?
    • 07-06-13, 08:39 PM
      will.15
      I found it. It is on youtube, but only in Italian under its Italian title. I didn't check out the entire movie, but I would say it is a good chance that is it. It is, by the way, set in a British prison and there is a DVD of it English dubbed. I didn't go through it to find the singing scene. I don't think they are actually supposed to be disguised as monks, but to go through the sewers they change to clothing that looks similiar to monk attire, black with hoods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrETqpT0DTE
    • 26-06-13, 10:50 AM
      onedegreeunder
      Thanks so much for tracking down the link will.15, much appreciated. I've now managed to skim through all the
      Italian version and - frustratingly, it's not the one! :wallbash: My recollection of the scene in question is pretty much as described
      in the original post in this thread:

"at one point involved the gang, dressed in cassocks and surplices, going through (I think) the sewers, singing (after a fashion) "He who would valiant be... to be a pilgrim". I also seem to remember that another group were either following or directing their progress by going around the streets
      from manhole cover to manhole cover.

I had really high hopes for this one as well, but at least it's another film featuring the sewers eliminated.

I'm beginning to think there must be something odd about this one - 2 people at least remembering it suggest it must
      have existed at sometime, but to find so little trace if it in the internet age is odd. I can only assume
      it's never been available to purchase, hasn't been broadcast for decades or is lost.
      Hopefully someone visiting here someday may also remember it but know what it was?

Thanks so much to everyone for suggestions, one day I WILL solve this!
    • 10-08-13, 07:31 PM
      SilverTyne
      Another hoof up the page for this one.

A bit of straw clutching here, but what about 'Rotten to the Core'? There a lobby card showing the crooks dressed in surplices in a choir, but sadly not in a sewer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROTTEN-COR...item1c1effe162
    • 10-08-13, 08:09 PM
      Bernardo
      I wish I had not come across this post! I can remember the scene plus the hymn and I can not think of the title or even a clue to it. So many gags have been based on this, Dad's Army for one. I am off to research....bye
    • 10-08-13, 08:55 PM
      Dean Williams
      Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverTyne View Post
      Another hoof up the page for this one.

A bit of straw clutching here, but what about 'Rotten to the Core'? There a lobby card showing the crooks dressed in surplices in a choir, but sadly not in a sewer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROTTEN-COR...item1c1effe162

I have Rotten to the Core and it's been about 2 years since I last watched it but I don't recall any scenes in the sewers.
    • 20-09-13, 12:08 PM
      onedegreeunder
      Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
      I wish I had not come across this post! I can remember the scene plus the hymn and I can not think of the title or even a clue to it. So many gags have been based on this, Dad's Army for one. I am off to research....bye

Thanks for the additional input everyone.
      Berando, I'm so glad someone else remembers this, at least I know I'm not imagining it.
      Do you recall apporximately how long ago you saw this and where (cinema/tv)?
      Did your research lead anywhere? - I've found no real clues on the web at all
      and I've been trying to find this for ages.
    • 20-09-13, 12:32 PM
      Bernardo
      Long time ago in the mid 70's? Probably on TV. You get these uncorroborated ideas, I felt that it was a lift off from Crooks in the Cloisters but I just know I have seen it.
    • 20-09-13, 02:43 PM
      onedegreeunder
      Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
      Long time ago in the mid 70's? Probably on TV. You get these uncorroborated ideas, I felt that it was a lift off from Crooks in the Cloisters butI just know I have seen it.

Me too. That's about the period I remember as well. One day.......:mellow:
    • 21-06-14, 06:37 PM
      Gerald Lovell
      At long last, this must definitely be it:

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps4176ea58.png

Convicts (a) in the choir; (b) in the sewers and (c) in Nothing Barred, a 1961 Brian Rix comedy. They mostly sing "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" to begin with, but get on to "To Be a Pilgrim" thereafter. Brian directs them around by shouting down manholes, much to the annoyance of P.C. Terry Scott!
    • 21-06-14, 08:49 PM
      SilverTyne
      Oh well done that man! Finally it's solved.

I can't believe I didn't find it myself, since I searched for likely actors, including Irene Handl and Bernard Cribbins.

I do hope the OP is subscribed to his thread.
    • 22-06-14, 03:41 AM
      will.15
      Well, that's an obscurity. No user reviews on the IMDb and no plot description at all.

How did you find it?
    • 22-06-14, 04:58 AM
      Steve Crook
      Nothing in the BFI Screenonline database either

It's offered by Amazon (UK)

Steve
    • 22-06-14, 08:06 AM
      will.15
      It looks like it was released on DVD just last month.

http://networkonair.com/shop/1891-no...626409548.html
    • 24-06-14, 10:35 AM
      onedegreeunder
      I am a very, very happy bunny. Thank you so much Gerald Lovell and everyone else who's contributed suggestions - I really
      was beginning to lose hope that I'd ever solve this. I knew I hadn't imagined it, and I was sure there was a bit with manhole
      covers as well! Really made my day, off to order from Amazon now.:thumbsup:
    • 24-06-14, 12:28 PM
      onedegreeunder
      Just found this over at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_Barred

No wonder I associated this with Peter Sellers and specifically thought it was Two Way Stretch
      for ages. You couldn't make up a more confusing and misleading coincidence - thanks for
      years of frustration film re-namers!
    • 24-06-14, 01:53 PM
      orpheum2
      the more i see of British comedy films of the 50s and 60s the more i realise that this was a golden age of Beitish screen comedy.There are at least a dozen great films that i can think of,but you cannot say that about the 70s and 80s which only had spin offs and sex comedies to bring in the dwindling audience.

Comment

Interesting experiment!
      I -hope- that this strategy will be rendered obsolete by the archive site I'm trying to create.

I hit a problem in that the 12 days of download using wget have turned out to be mostly worthless, so I'll have to run a more clever download program. New index pages will have to be generated as the current ones are dynamic and use vbulletin php code to build results - and I can't recreate that process at all in a static archive site (this is why waybackmachine doesn't do well with the forum also). So all to play for still, I'm hoping to crack the last technical problems this weekend and hopefully have some results you can look at soon. Fingers, toes, intestines crossed.

Comment

Working...
      X