Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

What's happening to our libraries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's happening to our libraries

The local Tory controlled council is virtually shutting down our library service.3 of 4 of our local libraries have been shut till August for refurbishment.They will reopen as community,ie volunteer run,for just 15 hours a week.The one open library,opened by my father in 1964,is due to close permanently in June.It is very depressing.Links like I am going to have to buy more books,especially on Kindle to read a number of books.Anyone have a similar problem?

I am fortunate enough to live in an area that still appreciates libraries (as do I).

Many local councils (regardless of party) look at their books (their accounting books) and think that libraries are an easy thing to cut back on. A very short term attitude. Libraries are an investment in the future. I always used them heavily before I could afford to buy enough books to build my own library.

Cutting back on real, trained, librarians and replacing them with volunteers is another short-term saving not looking forwards to the future. Real librarians should be cherished and even hugged often.

Steve

Comment

The law says that councils have to provide a reasonable service, but actually defining that 'reasonable' service makes it easy for councils to argue they are still doing so, while closing buildings. There is a campaign that tries to fight for library provision.

My local council was at the cutting edge in terms of trying to palm the libraries off onto the charity sector and away from the library. Their provision of new books is actually pretty good, although their PC system is out of the ark, but they are using more and more volunteers, reduced the opening times (I dont think they are open on Sunday at all), and have introduced a system so that you can 'self service' when the library isn't fully open to stretch the limited opening hours.

A library is a joy and a necessity. Not everyone has a Kindle, and even if they do, certainly cannot afford to buy books on them in the same way you can borrow them at the library.

Comment

Several years ago a new, much bigger library was built here. Now we find that it's going to be moved - and will be smaller. There's been some talk about using volunteers, but nothing definite, and they've just installed machines so that you can return and check out books. (I'm in Berkshire).

I can't imagine a life without libraries.

Comment

I still use the Library regularly in my town, I don't do (or want) kindle, I like a big, broadsheet map, they've installed 'do it yourself' machines, but it's still fully staffed and thriving, with toddler groups, and other community meetings.

I think it's clever how the check-out machine can 'read' through a pile of books, etc; you've placed in the slot, instead doing it one by one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post
            I still use the Library regularly in my town, I don't do (or want) kindle, I like a big, broadsheet map, they've installed 'do it yourself' machines, but it's still fully staffed and thriving, with toddler groups, and other community meetings.

I think it's clever how the check-out machine can 'read' through a pile of books, etc; you've placed in the slot, instead doing it one by one.
            Is it fully staffed with real librarians or just with volunteers?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Is it fully staffed with real librarians or just with volunteers?

Steve
              Real ones, they've all been there for several years, a few have retired in recent years, they had been there a significant number of years also.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post

Real ones
                Good, real librarians should be cherished.
                Many local authorities are replacing them all with "Volunteers" (i.e. untrained amateurs)

Ask your librarian:
                You know Melville's "Moby Dick", what does "Moby" mean?
                All the dictionary references to it seem to refer to Moby Dick

(I know the answer, well a range of answers, but it's a good question for librarians )

Steve

Comment

Isn't Moby the name of a rave party DJ somewhere? Am I getting warm?

Comment

Originally posted by Rick C View Post
                    Isn't Moby the name of a rave party DJ somewhere? Am I getting warm?

"Moby Dick" is a bit older than any Rave DJ

And no, "Moby Dick" isn't an ailment, or a blessing

Steve

Comment

It's so important to support libraries no matter what age you are. To me, closing libraries is like taking education away from people, the majority of the books I get out are non-fiction so I am grateful for books on different subjects by knowledgable people.

I would easily lose concentration reading off a Kindle.

Comment

I have always found my local library frustrating and it is still run by fully trained librarians, never mind asking about "Moby" I once asked for any books on periodicals and they asked what's a periodical? I kid you not. I dream of the day when I can visit the BFI or the British library or if I am fooling myself please let me know so that I can save my ticket from Belfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

"Moby Dick" is a bit older than any Rave DJ
                          The DJ, however, is Richard Melville Hall - Herman Melville was his great-great-great-great uncle. Moby was/is his parents' nickname for him on account of the connection.
                          Last edited by Nick Cooper; 21st April 2017, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tv horror View Post
                            I have always found my local library frustrating and it is still run by fully trained librarians, never mind asking about "Moby" I once asked for any books on periodicals and they asked what's a periodical? I kid you not. I dream of the day when I can visit the BFI or the British library or if I am fooling myself please let me know so that I can save my ticket from Belfast.

You're OK - they'll let any riff-raff into the BFI Library these days - even me!

Comment

So Richard O'Brien is also a member? Good company then lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X