Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These New Puritans (see http://www.thesenewpuritans.com/) are a modern experimental music group that hail from Southend-on-Sea and are completely new to me. Here's the weirdly wonderful Organ Eternal, from their third LP Field of Reeds (Infectious 2013). Give it a chance and let its strange beauty wash over you.

Comment

• We finish with a couple of tracks from international chanteuse (born in Tokyo, recorded and lived in Belgium, London and New York to name a few) Anna Domino. In 2010 she curated a new collection of artists from label Les Disques du Crépuscule who re-recorded some of their original songs for the sampler CD After Twilight (Les Disques du Crépuscule 2010). Highlight of the set was two original songs from the lady herself, Wonderkeys & The Light. Hope you enjoy them. Until next week ...

Last edited by agutterfan; 22nd July 2017, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• An easy to overlook Scottish band - Del Amitri 'Not Where it's at' Live on Jools

Comment

• Another easy to forget about (and very talented) singer is Lloyd Cole - here is an acoustic version of 'Like Lovers Do' 1995 on 'Big Breakfast

Comment

• Originally posted by zabadak View Post
            Relatively unknown Madonna album - American Life (includes her theme song for Die Another Day)
            As far as you know!!!

Comment

• Darkside are a duo from the U.S. who only joined together in 2011. This is Paper Trails from their debut (and sole) LP Psychic (Matador 2013).

Comment

• Our musical history tour through the career of The Fall brings us up to a song written & sang by the missus, Eleni Poulou. Happi Song, from their LP Ersatz GB (Cherry Red 2011). It's a lovely song, and Eleni has a very good voice. She should be given the chance to sing more often, if Mark E will let her. Even non-fans should like this. Hope you do. They have a new LP out on the 28th July called New Facts Emerge.

Comment

• Magic Sam (Samuel Gene Maghett 1937 – 1969) was a Chicago blues guitarist known for his distinctive tremolo guitar playing. This is his brilliant debut single (and his own composition) All Your Love (Cobra 7" 1957). It wouldn't have sounded out of place ten years later. By the way, the song ends at 02:55.

Comment

• The Ruts were an English reggae-influenced punk rock band, derailed by the premature death of singer Michael Owen. This is their excellent debut single In A Rut (People Unite 7" 1979).

Comment

• We finish today with a brace of Simons. First, Carly Simon, and the beautiful ballad Embrace Me, You Child (watch out for the jump in her vocal range on the chorus - astounding), from her third LP No Secrets (Elektra 1972). Then we finish with the poignant last track Simon & Garfunkel recorded, which closed their final LP Bridge Over Troubled Water (CBS 1970), Song For The Asking. The duo would only ever record one more song together, 1975's My Little Town. Until next week ...

Comment

• Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
                        The Ruts were an English reggae-influenced punk rock band, derailed by the premature death of singer Michael Owen. This is their excellent debut single In A Rut (People Unite 7" 1979).

Some great singles from them - one of my faves was SUS

Comment

• Am going to see Brian Wilson at the Apollo tonight!

Comment

• A quartet of 60s garage rock to kick start August with. There were several 60s acts with the same name of The Nomads, but this lot are from Wilmington, Delaware. Here's Please Don't Hurt Me, the B-side to She's My Woman (Derby Records 7" 1966).

Painted Faces hail from Fort Myers, Florida and this is I Lost You in My Mind, the B-side to their third and penultimate single I Think I'm Going Mad (Manhattan 7" 1967).

Outer Limits were from Las Cruces in New Mexico, not to be confused with the contemporary Leeds U.K. group of the same name. See http://www.garagehangover.com/outer-...ldust-records/. This is Alone and Crying (Goldust Records 7" 1966).

The Chantays were an American surf rock band from Orange County, California, and this is their famous U.S. only hit Pipeline (regional original Downey 7" 1962, U.S. national re-release Dot Records 7" 1963).

Last edited by agutterfan; 13th May 2018, 01:37 PM. Reason: outer limits video deleted

Comment

• We finish today with a complete change of genre, two wonderful instrumentals from modern classical composer Wim Mertens (see his website: http://www.wimmertens.be/). The utterly beautiful Close Cover comes from his fourth LP Struggle For Pleasure (Les Disques Du Crépuscule ‎1983 cat no. TWI 189), then Birds for the Mind, both of which were featured in the Peter Greenaway film The Belly of an Architect, and appear on the excellent OST LP (Europe: Les Disques Du Crépuscule 1986 cat no. TWI 813 UK: Factory 1987 cat no. FACT 195) which I highly recommend (it also includes some pieces by contemporary classical composer Glenn Branca). Until next week ...

Comment

• Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                                Am going to see Brian Wilson at the Apollo tonight!
                                I really enjoyed it but I was tired and emotional - the reviews weren't great.

Now I'm listening to Leave Home by Ramones. WunDooFreeFaw!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X