Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First we start today with Victoria Australia's finest Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and their single As I Sat Sadly By Her Side (Mute 10"/CD 2001), from their eleventh studio album No More Shall We Part (Mute 2001).

Comment

• From almost the opposite side of the World, from Toronto Canada we have one of my favourite bands of all time, Stars. This is their brilliant single Elevator Love Letter (originally from their second LP Heart), here recorded live from their European tour of 2006 and featured on the DVD Are We Here Now, which came free with their fourth LP In Our Bedroom After the War (Arts & Crafts 2007). For me this is the perfect pop song, from Amy Millan's punk-like one chord guitar opening, to the New Order-type pop from the rest of the band, that fantastic chorus, to the alternating with Torquil Campbell on vocals (one of the key strengths of the group is the use of male & female vocals which allows for multi-person narrative lyrics), to the beautiful synth flourish at 2:30, and the final guest violinist. Like many Toronto bands they use guest musicians, often from the Toronto scene. That city's Broken Social Scene (with whom Amy guests regularly) being the ultimate, the core duo augmented by sometimes up to 17 guests on their records. I love this group. Next week I'll post a couple of official videos for the singles taken from their third LP.

Comment

• Our musical history tour through the career of The Fall brings us to the single version of Sir William Wray (Cherry Red 7" 2013) released on 20 April for the 2013 Record Store Day. This is a different version than the one found on their LP Re-Mit (Cherry Red 2013). Check their official website: https://thefall.xyz/ as they have a new album out.

Comment

• Blind Willie McTell (born William Samuel McTier May 5, 1898 – August 19, 1959) was a singer and guitarist in the Piedmont blues and ragtime styles, the former characterised by a fluid, syncopated fingerstyle guitar technique. Bob Dylan famously recorded a song about him. This is the unreleased (until 2013) solo version of She Don't Treat Me Good No More, originally recorded & released as a duet with Curley Weaver around 1949-50.

Last edited by agutterfan; 12th August 2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• We finish today with one of my favourite singles of 1980 from one of my favourite 70s bands. Released as a double A-side this was The Jam's first number 1 single, Going Underground (Polydor 7" 1980) and Dreams of Children. After Ray Davies, Paul Weller was the best chronicler of British working class life in my opinion. Until next week ...

Comment

• Was listening to the Kasabian album Empire in my lunch break

Comment

• Beach House is an American dream pop duo from Baltimore, Maryland (the same town as Wye Oak) though vocalist Victoria Legrand is French. This is their beautiful, haunting single Myth (promo CD US: Sub Pop UK: Bella Union 2012), taken from their fourth LP Bloom (Sub Pop 2012). Their website: http://www.beachhousebaltimore.com/.

Last edited by agutterfan; 19th August 2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Next up, Portland Oregon's finest Chromatics. They started off as a guitar lo-fi indie rock group before the arrival of female vocalist (the gorgeous Ruth Radelet, see photo above) and changed style to ambient/Italian electro/dreampop. This is Healer, from their third album, the thematic Night Drive (Italians Do It Better 2007),with a nice guitar quote of the Joy Division song Shadowplay (obviously fans of the group, check out their awesome cover of the Joy Division song Ceremony, which became New Order's first single). As for Ms Radelet, I think I've fallen in lust again. *sigh* At my age I really should know better. And catch them live on the new Twin Parks series.

Oh, alright, let's have another photo of Ruth, I deserve it, I've been a good boy (I have, honest!) ...

Last edited by agutterfan; 19th August 2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Next, When My Heart Beats Like A Hammer (Kent 7" 1954) by blues legend B.B. King (http://www.bbking.com/), adapted by King and Jules Taub from the 1941 Sonny Boy Williamson song Million Years Blues.

Comment

• Wild Nothing is a musical pseudonym for Jack Tatum, from Blacksburg, Virginia, who had played in various bands until he formed Wild Nothing in late 2009. He normally records solo (especially on his debut), with the odd guest on drums or strings, but live always performs with a band. I heard this track, Bored Games, for the first time a few weeks ago and fell head over heels with its cheap lo-fi drum-machine powered dream-pop. From his debut LP Gemini (Captured Tracks 2010), which is all the more impressive as Jack recorded all the instruments and produced the tracks on his laptop. I've bought the full CD and it's brilliant, great indie-dream-pop, heavily Brit influenced. I highly recommend it. Warning: brief nudity in accompanying clip (from the Bergman film Vargtimmen).

Last edited by agutterfan; 19th August 2017, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• We finish today as promised with a couple of official videos for Stars singles, firstly Your Ex-Lover Is Dead (Arts & Crafts 7"/CD 2004), where the crescendo is simply superb, and the guitar pop of Ageless Beauty (Arts & Crafts 7"/CD 2004), both taken from their excellent third LP Set Yourself on Fire (Arts & Crafts 2004), which I highly recommend. If you're unfamiliar with them it's the best starting place. Until next week ...

Last edited by agutterfan; 19th August 2017, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
                          We finish today with one of my favourite singles of 1980 from one of my favourite 70s bands. Released as a double A-side this was The Jam's first number 1 single, Going Underground (Polydor 7" 1980) and Dreams of Children. After Ray Davies, Paul Weller was the best chronicler of British working class life in my opinion. Until next week ...

Was a fan of the Jam sometime ago, but these days find them very amateurish sounding - like a reasonable pub band - probably because I have heard better in pubs since, but Weller certainly knew his market and could write a good tune to compliment it.
                          Last edited by Bert Quark; 19th August 2017, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X