Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bugs (see: https://www.garagehangover.com/bugs/) hailed from Marlboro, Massachusetts and released two singles. This is their second, Pretty Girl (Astor 7" 1966) rereleased by Polaris Records in August of that year. Love the accompanying video.

Comment

• Next up, Manchester band James with the official video for their single Runaground (Mercury CD, 3 versions, 1998), which was one of the singles used to promote their compilation LP The Best of James (Mercury 1998).

Comment

• Opal was formed by David Roback, formerly of Rain Parade, who later formed Mazzy Star, and Kendra Smith (from Dream Syndicate) and formed part of the Paisley Underground scene in mid-80s Los Angeles. They only released one LP, Happy Nightmare Baby (US: SST UK: Rough Trade 1987) and this is the title track. During the promotional tour Kendra left, to be replaced by Hope Sandoval, and the band became Mazzy Star.

Comment

• Wolf Parade are a Canadian band that I've posted before. This is Dinner Bells, from their debut LP Apologies To The Queen Mary (Sub Pop 2005).

Comment

• We finish today with a band I only discovered this year, but have fallen in love with (oh, Ruth Radelet ... *sigh*). Here are two two tracks from their most recent release, the 8 track mini-LP Cherry (Italians Do It Better vinyl 2016), the deluxe edition of which you can download from their own label website http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com/ for a mere dollar. First, the song Cherry, and then the 8-track version of At Your Door, which was originally released on their fourth LP Kill For Love. I much prefer this version, from the deliberate audio scratches to the Stevie Nicks / Fleetwood Mac vibe (very different from the original). Dig the synth arpeggio at 0:51 and the stumbling instrumental break from 1:48 which mirrors the song's lyrics. This mini-LP also features their superb breathy cover version of Joy Division's Ceremony, which I've posted before. Until next week ...

Last edited by agutterfan; 9th December 2017, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• We start today with one of my favourite ever live performances of one of my all-time favourite songs. This is the beautiful vocal harmonies of Sweden's Söderberg sisters, known as First Aid Kit, performing Paul Simon's America live at the 2012 Polar Music prize where Simon was the recipient. He's clearly emotionally affected by the performance, which is nice to see.

Comment

• Next up, The Kinks with So Mystifying, from their debut LP The Kinks (Pye 1964). A Ray Davies original, it sounds uncannily like The Rolling Stones cover of the Womack Brothers song It's All Over Now. And speaking of that song, here's the original release by U.S. group The Valentinos (SAR 7" 1963).

Last edited by agutterfan; 18th December 2017, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• Modest Mouse is an American indie rock band formed in 1992 in Seattle, Washington (the home town of much great music). This is the rather delightful The World At Large, from their magnificently titled fourth LP Good News For People Who Love Bad News (Epic 2004)

Last edited by agutterfan; 18th December 2017, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• We finish today with an excellent group from my adopted home city of Leeds. Hood were formed by the Adams brothers in 1991 and released six LPs until they dissolved in 2005. First, the elegiac The Leaves Grow Old And Fall And Die (I just love the distorted guitar) from their fourth LP Rustic Houses, Forlorn Valley (Domino 1998), then we finish with the haunting Houses Tilting Towards The Sea, from their fifth LP The Cycle Of Days And Seasons (Domino 1999). Until next week ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Duncan View Post

Great stuff! Init!
                      It is indeed Duncan - sorry late reply,I have not logged in for a while !

Comment

• Beautiful song from the Lord of Rock Steady!

Comment

• Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Warm Winter Solstice, Happy Holidays to all members of BritMovie.

and lastly, for some refreshing honesty ...

Last edited by agutterfan; 23rd December 2017, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
                            Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Warm Winter Solstice, Happy Holidays to all members of BritMovie.

and lastly, for some refreshing honesty ...

Some marvellous sounds there agutterfan, Thanks for sharing & all the very best to you!

Comment

• Some English greatness!

Comment

• We finish the year with some goodies. One of my new discoveries for the year were Hampshire born, London-based The Clientele (http://www.theclientele.co.uk/). This is their gorgeous (I Want You) More Than Ever (Elefanta Records 7" Spain only 2000).

Comment

Working...
                                X