Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BVS View Post

They are terrific live - I must have seen them 15ish times - the last time was at Towersey 2010 - they were great with both acoustic and electric music
    I saw them at Towersey once. Can't remember when, possibly 44th (?) festival, about ten years ago, only went to it once but really enjoyed it. They have never disappointed! I haven't seen them for ages now...pretty sure last time we saw them was when Chopper was still with them???

Comment

John Clarke plays some nice 'spanish' guitar - using a 'guitar cam'...so dont watch if you get seasick
      Nice playing

A Walk to the Lake

Comment

This is a video clip about Air Cadets flying gliders at Kenley Airfield in the Surrey Hills.
        The music is 'Flying' by the beatles,watch out for the snowball
        I owned a T53 Glider for a couple of years in the mid 90's (the glider with the enclosed canopy),big heavy 2 seater - but nice to fly.

Comment

I have been a fan of John Fogerty since 1969 - still listen to CCR nowadays in the car - great driving music

Creedence Clearwater Revival Live 1970

Midnight Special (long intro but really gets going at approx 1.15) - I have always been a mug for some jangly guitar - this live version does not have quite so much reverb ? as the original track but great to see the boys when they were young.

Comment

Cara Mia - The Best Of Jay Black (formerly of the American group Jay And The Americans).

Comment

Those of a Certain Age will Remember this Track

French TV Transmission Date:13th February 1971
              One of the first Singles I bought.
              Bolan Died 40 years ago this year' 2 Weeks before his 30th Birthday'... he would have been 70 on September 30th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggPbNulJ_cA

Comment

After a quick test run last week to see how the music videos work (I notice you can't play them full screen from this site, but if you click on the song title next to the video (top line, light blue & underlined) it opens the link on youtube (not sure how it works on other sites e.g. Vevo). As this is the first official broadcast of agutterfan fm I thought I'd start with probably my favourite song of all time, by my favourite band (outside the 60s natch). Here's Anton Corbijn's deliberately grainy B&W official video for Joy Divison's Atmosphere, which the band never officially released in their lifetime. Amazingly, for one of the greatest songs ever written they gave it away free to a French only single release, then as a B-side again to a US only 12". After Ian's death, the marketplace swamped with Joy Division bootlegs, the band finally released it in September 1980. To myself & my friends at the time the haunting refrain "don't walk away in silence" was often cited to each other as a prompt to keep communicating and not to turn your back on friends and loved ones. I've included the haunting cover photo of the 12" single, an already existing photograph by Charlie Meecham caught at Hardcastle Crags.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	36731fd0ffc9f31b493cd2e832a9d497.jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.9 KB ID:	645

Last edited by agutterfan; 18th March 2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

As it's the first Saturday of the month we finish with a quartet of US 60s garage bands. First, The Chob, hailing from Albuquerque, New Mexico with their second single, We're Pretty Quick (Lavette 7" 1966).

Last edited by agutterfan; 18th March 2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Then neighbours from Amarillo, Texas The Cords (not to be confused with the San Francisco Cords)and Too Late To Kiss You Now (release unknown as they recorded on-off records for a whole host of labels, see https://www.discogs.com/artist/1771474-The-Cords-3) but is available here: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Now-...elease/1547101.

Last edited by agutterfan; 18th March 2017, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Next up, from Hollywood, California we have Count Five and the 60s garage psychedelic Yardbirds-style extravagaza entitled Psychotic Reaction (Double Shot 7" 1965) which was re-released in 1966 and became a US Top 10 hit. Also on their eponymous debut LP.

Last edited by agutterfan; 18th March 2017, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Last, but definitely not least, we have from Emmetsburg, Iowa (see https://www.iowarocknroll.com/induct...-dark-knights/)The Dark Knights, and for a change of pace, their single Send Her To Me (IGL 7" 1966). Until next week ...

Last edited by agutterfan; 18th March 2017, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Today we start with divorce 1977 style. Part one - First, Sweden's second biggest export Abba . Now, I'm not one of those revisionists who in hindsight say they adore the group, and that they were one of the best bands (and for the boys best songwriters) of the 70s. Let's be honest, most of their material was mawkish, risibly sentimental, banal & sometimes excruciating. I always watched them on TOTP but that had nothing to do with music. They did manage half a dozen good singles and one all-time classic, Knowing Me, Knowing You (Epic 7" 1977). It's a shame Alan Partridge purloined the "ah ah"s for comedy as it detracts from their one truly brilliant song on the pain and despair of broken love, and ranks up there with Joy Division's equally glacial epic Love Will Tear Us Apart. Here's the official video (visual stylings © Ingmar Bergman & Sven Nykvist 1966).

Last edited by agutterfan; 18th March 2017, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Divorce 1977 style. Part two - 1977 might have been the year of punk, but in the US it was the year of the Fleetwood Mac LP Rumours (Warner Bros. 1977). Here we have Stevie Nicks at her most beautiful, her creativity at an all time high, and her glottal voice now matured and at its peak, before the years of alcohol and cocaine abuse destroyed it. Dreams (Warner Bros 7" 1977) is one of my favourite songs of all time, brilliantly arranged & constructed by Lindsey Buckingham, with superb musicianship by all concerned, from John's bass to Christine's choice of doubling Fender Rhodes & Hammond organ, wonderfully produced by Ken Caillat & Richard Dashut . I might have been into punk in 1977, but I still managed to wear out two vinyl copies of Rumours.

Comment

Meanwhile, our musical history tour through the career of The Fall brings us up to their 26th studio LP Imperial Wax Solvent (Castle 2008) and the inspired, dark & disturbing lunacy of Alton Towers. Beware false endings ...

Comment

Here's Elgar's Cello Concerto in E Minor, 1st Movement, cellist Jacqueline du Pré with Daniel Barenboim conducting the London Philharmonic in 1967. This opening movement was used for the TV serial Paradise Postponed (Euston Films/Thames TV 1986), but I don't know which version they used.

Last edited by agutterfan; 18th March 2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X