Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zabadak View Post

Not heard it before.

I like everything I've heard by them - indeed, I wrote a review of a 2-CD Greatest Hits collection for Record Collector - so I filled in the gaps by buying a box of the first 5 albums.

agutterfan
    #359.1

agutterfan commented
    Yesterday, 02:11 PM
    Editing a comment

Which covers the 60s from "Take Off" to "Volunteers". It's interesting to note the difference 3 years (and Gold records) makes. RCA objected to the lyrics of some songs (sex and drug references) on the 1st LP, and they were able to force the band to re-record vocals to remove the offending lyrics (though one song was dropped from the LP in its entirety). On the 5th, though they were forced to change the original title (Volunteers of Amerika) this was due to a threatened lawsuit from the charity Volunteers of America rather than record label pressure. Indeed, on the song "We Can Be Together" Grace Slick was able to sing the word "motherfucker". Not only that, but she became the first person to say the word on U.S. TV during a live performance.

I've posted a couple of tracks from them on the original site. Will try to get round to posting some more. Not a fan of the Starship though.

There are extra tracks...!

Comment

• We start today with a serious artist, one of the most influential in pop culture. More inventive than The Beatles, rockier than The Rolling Stones, more lyrically profound than Bob Dylan, more avant-garde than Frank Zappa, more confrontational than The Fall, yes it's ... The Banana Splits. Altogether now ... "sha la la, sha la la la, sha la la, sha la la la". So profound.

Comment

• Next up a song I've fallen madly in love with, Destroyer's Tinseltown Swimming In Blood, from their tenth LP ken (Merge 2017). I posted it right at the beginning of the year as it's easily my favourite song of 2017, but I'm reposting here now it has an official video (a hommage to Chris Marker methinks). Hope you love it as much as I do.

Last edited by agutterfan; 31 March 2018, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• The Tallest Man On Earth is the musical pseudonym for Swedish singer/songwriter Saras Per Kristian Mattson, who hails from the Dalarna province (http://thetallestmanonearth.com/) and started in a band before going solo. Here's the rather wonderful Revelation Blues, from his third solo LP There's No Leaving Now (Gravitations/Dead Oceans 2012).

Last edited by agutterfan; 16 February 2019, 12:45 PM. Reason: video deleted

Comment

• Now for some dark electro with Tropic Of Cancer, the musical pseudonym for solo artist Camella Lobo. This is the early Cabaret Voltaire inspired Be Brave (Downwards 10"/digital download 2011).

Comment

• We finish today with Joy Division's From Safety To Where, which was included on the 3 artist 6 track E.P. Earcom 2: Contradictions (Fast Products 12" 1979). Fantastic lyrics, and notice the really interesting and unorthodox use of the guitar as an effects machine. Then we conclude with New Order's third single, the brilliant standalone Temptation (Factory 7"/12" 1982 cat no. FAC63). This is the superior original 7" version, which I much prefer. Until next week ...

Last edited by agutterfan; 16 February 2019, 12:46 PM. Reason: video deleted

Comment

• “Staggeringly good.” The Obligatory comparisons with John Martin have been over used in my Opinion

Comment

• Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
                  We start today with a serious artist, one of the most influential in pop culture. More inventive than The Beatles, rockier than The Rolling Stones, more lyrically profound than Bob Dylan, more avant-garde than Frank Zappa, more confrontational than The Fall, yes it's ... The Banana Splits. Altogether now ... "sha la la, sha la la la, sha la la, sha la la la". So profound.

I think you'll find it's actually Tra la la...

Comment

• Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow (extra tracks a-go-go!)

Comment

• We start today with Tunisia born French chanteuse Jacqueline Taïeb, part of France's 1960s yé-yé scene, and this is her excellent fifth single, Le Coeur Au Bout Des Doigts (Impact 7"1967).

Last edited by agutterfan; 7 April 2018, 11:41 AM. Reason: original video removed by youtube

Comment

• Iron & Wine (see: http://ironandwine.com/) is the musical pseudonym for American singer-songwriter Sam Beam, born in Chapin, South Carolina, and must famous for his excellent song Passing Afternoon. His debut LP The Creek Drank The Cradle (Sub Pop 2002) was recorded on 4-track initially as a demo, but was released as is by Sub Pop. From it here's Bird Stealing Bread.

Last edited by agutterfan; 16 February 2019, 12:48 PM. Reason: video deleted

Comment

• The Velvet Underground & Nico (Verve 1967) needs no introduction. This is the delightful I'll Be Your Mirror, accompanied by film footage by Andy Warhol featuring the stunningly beautiful Nico herself.

Comment

• Released yesterday, this is the official video for the title track of Wye Oak's new LP The Louder I Call, The Faster It Runs (Merge 2018). Hope you love it as much as I do.

Comment

• We resume our musical history tour through the studio LPs of Joni Mitchell with her twelfth LP Dog Eat Dog (Geffen 1985). For me, this is easily her best post-70s work, consistently inventive and engaging, despite the 80s studio production techniques that makes it sound more dated than her 70s work. From it, two of her strongest songs ever, the angrily political duo of The Three Great Stimulants, and Ethiopia. Until next week ...

Comment

• Electric Six - Fire

Comment

Working...
                                X