No announcement yet.

Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sorrows formed in Coventry in 1963, and although unknown now, they were successful enough in the mid-60s to release eight singles (plus a German language version of one) and two LPs. This is the excellent single Pink Purple Yellow & Red (Piccadilly 7" 1967), their penultimate.

Comment

• We finish today with modern band Bully (see: http://www.bullythemusic.com/), formed in Nashville Tennessee in 2013, who are touring the U.K. currently. Here's two tracks from their new second LP Losing (Sub Pop 2017), the official videos for Feel The Same, and Running. Until next week ...

Last edited by agutterfan; 19 May 2018, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• Final Straw by Snow Patrol. Impressed!

Comment

• We start today with a 50th birthday celebration. Hard to believe that it was half a century ago (last Thursday) that The Rolling Stones released their epochal classic standalone single Jumpin' Jack Flash (Decca 7" 1968). It is no exaggeration to say that this one song influenced a whole new generation of musicians, and is pretty much the template for heavy rock (as opposed to rock 'n' roll and r 'n' b). The excellent B-side Child Of The Moon also had a promo film directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg, featuring actresses Eileen Atkins & Sylvia Coleridge. Not seen for many years the band paid for its restoration and included it in their 2016 exhibition at the Saatchi gallery.

Last edited by agutterfan; 10 June 2020, 02:52 AM.

Comment

• In our journey through the career of Joni Mitchell we finally come to her last LP Shine (Hear Music 2007) and the song If I Had A Heart. Enjoy. Check out her website http://jonimitchell.com/, one of the best curated sites I've seen.

Comment

• Next up, my beloved Wye Oak with the lyric video for the brilliant Lifer, from their excellent new (sixth) LP The Louder I Call, The Faster It Runs (Merge 2018), which has not been off my 'turntable' since I bought it. Jenn's lyrics on this album have reached a new peak of maturity & creativity.

Comment

• "Someone told me being in the know was the main thing. We all need the security that belonging brings."

And to finish an excellent selection of music (even if I do say so myself), a couple of Mancunian delights. Joy Division's Novelty was the B-side of their standalone single Transmission (Factory 7" 1979 cat no. FAC13). Lyrically brilliant, it's a hallmark of the quality of this band that they could relegate this song to a B-side. Most bands in 1979 would have killed for a song of that quality. Then New Order's standalone single, the perfect pop of Thieves Like Us (Factory 12" 1984 cat no. FAC103), with a guitar line 'stolen' from Hot Chocolate's Emma (well, mediocrity borrows, genius steals, as Stravinsky says). Enjoy. Until next week ...

"It's called love. And it cuts your life like a broken knife."

Comment

• Frank Black - Black Session (actually a live CD from 1994)

Comment

• This is particularly beautiful....
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT_sfZ2nruA

Comment

• agutterfan
                      agutterfan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Welcome back Sarge, I'd wondered if you were going to join the new site. I even posted a couple of Ms Hardy songs to tempt you: see p21.
                      Last edited by agutterfan; 31 May 2018, 03:29 PM.

• Sgt Sunshine
                      Sgt Sunshine commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Cheers Agutterfan.......I have peeped in on rare occasions....great to hear Francoise is still being played etc....plenty of catching up to do old friend :-)

• Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                    Frank Black - Black Session (actually a live CD from 1994)
                    Finished that, started a compendium of Rossini works, kicking off with Guillaume Tell

Comment

• agutterfan
                      agutterfan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      was it released on (rim shot) Apple?

• Should have been this label:

http://www.45cat.com/label/crossbow

Comment

• For Agutterfan & Jim...if he's still around https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYwzKjnR9dc

Comment

•  

Comment

• Bet its been a while since any First Aid Kit on here.....I could be wrong....Here's there great cover of Waterloo Sunset

Comment

• "GOOD MORNING!"

We start today with long awaited new music from the Deal sisters, The Breeders. This is the official video for their single Wait In The Car (4AD ltd ed 7"/digital 2017), from their new fifth LP All Nerve (4AD 2018).

Last edited by agutterfan; 4 June 2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X