Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And to finish today, as promised on t'other site, here's Big Bill Broonzy with Key to the Highway (US only: Vocalion 10" 78rpm 1940). This is the blues record Sam Riley listens to on the TV show SS-GB. Until next week ...

Last edited by agutterfan; 18th March 2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BVS View Post
      Arthur Lee and Love - Forever Changes album was released in 1967 and was one of the few albums that I have owned on LP,Cassette and CD as time passed.
      The opening track was Alone Again Or -
      Here is Arthur performing the song on the Jools H show in 2003.

One of my favourite albums! I was lucky enough to see Arthurly (as he was later known for a while) and his then-band perform it on the South Bank in its entirety!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post

One of my favourite albums! I was lucky enough to see Arthurly (as he was later known for a while) and his then-band perform it on the South Bank in its entirety!
        Hey now I am jealous

Comment

Oysterband: I love their single Polish Plain!
          Last edited by zabadak; 17th March 2017, 02:58 PM. Reason: Forgot group name!

Comment

Originally posted by BVS View Post

Hey now I am jealous
            There is a DVD of the gig...

Comment

Black Mountain is a Canadian psychedelic rock band from Vancouver, British Columbia who are entirely new to me. This is the official video for their song Mothers of the Sun, which opens their fourth LP IV (Jagjaguwar 2016). It starts like Black Sabbath then morphs into something else completely. I like it. N.B. videos can now be inserted so no need to link.

Last edited by agutterfan; 18th March 2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

For a complete change of pace and genre, here's (Helen) Marnie, former vocalist with electronic band Ladytron, who now records just under her surname (see: http://www.helenmarnie.com/). This is The Hunter, from her LP Crystal World (Self-released through PledgeMusic in vinyl/CD/download formats 2013). She comes from Scotland, though you wouldn't guess it from her vocals (I could swear she was a Scandinavian when I first heard this!). The Hunter was first released as a music video from her youtube account (see: www.youtube.com/channel/UCDYFg02i1unWabvG9lT3Vdw) but Soft Power Records did release a limited edition 7" 45rpm single.

Comment

Colin Newman was a founder member of UK punk art-rock band Wire who went solo during the band's hiatus (1979-1987). His debut solo single B (Beggars Banquet 7" 1980) from his debut solo LP A–Z (Beggars Banquet 1980) was the strangest, most bizarre song accompanied by, posted here, the equally bizarre and weird Dada-ist video. You'll either love them or loathe them. Probably both. And at the same time.

Comment

Now for my beloved Sam Phillips, she of Gilmore girls fame. Proving that short is sweet here's the full 56 seconds of the opening track, Love & Kisses, form her third LP as Sam, Martinis & Bikinis (Virgin America 1994). Here's the official video.

Comment

Lastly, We The People was an American garage rock band from Orlando, Florida, that was formed in late 1965. They managed to record and release seven singles, most only charting locally, and they never got to release an LP. This is the excellent You Burn Me Up And Down, the B-side of their third single He Doesn't Go About It Right (Challenge 7" 1966). The accompanying video clip is of the gorgeous Monika Ringwald, taken from cult 60s British movie The Touchables (1968). Until next week ...

Comment

Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
                        Colin Newman was a founder member of UK punk art-rock band Wire who went solo during the band's hiatus (1979-1987). His debut solo single B (Beggars Banquet 7" 1980) from his debut solo LP A–Z (Beggars Banquet 1980) was the strangest, most bizarre song accompanied by, posted here, the equally bizarre and weird Dada-ist video. You'll either love them or loathe them. Probably both. And at the same time.

Did you ever listen to Dome, the Bruce Gilbert/Graham Lewis spin-off from Wire in the early 80s.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Dando View Post

Did you ever listen to Dome, the Bruce Gilbert/Graham Lewis spin-off from Wire in the early 80s.

Nick
                          I did indeed, I notice all their videos have been removed from youtube.

Comment

Chuck Berry 1926 - 2017

Comment

Was lucky to see Chuck live in London in 1995...

Comment

We start today with the classic A Forest (Fiction 7"/12" 1980) by The Cure, taken from their second LP Seventeen Seconds (Fiction 1980). This is the 12" version taken from the LP, not the 7" edit. Proof that simplicity can be devastatingly haunting.

Comment

Working...
                                X