Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know nothing about Clou except that she's French. Here's her individually lovely song May the Force Be With You (France: Because Editions E.P. formats unknown 2016).

Comment

Next up The Durutti Column, the nom de musique for Manchester guitarist Vini Reilly (see: http://www.thedurutticolumn.com/index.php). This is the haunting Spent Time, memorable for its use of Fender Rhodes pianos. Taken from his third LP Another Setting (Factory 1983 cat no. FACT 74).

Comment

Fire was a late 60s/early 70s band formed by guitarist Dave Lambert (of Strawbs fame). They released two excellent singles and one LP - this is their brilliant debut 45 Father's Name Is Dad (Decca 7" 1968). Undeservedly ignored and overlooked methinks.

Comment

Finally, we end with Syd Barrett fans The Soft Boys with their brilliant single I Wanna Destroy You (Armageddon 7" 1980), the unofficial alternative US national anthem. From their second LP Underwater Moonlight (Armageddon 1980).

Comment

Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
            We start today with the classic A Forest (Fiction 7"/12" 1980) by The Cure, taken from their second LP Seventeen Seconds (Fiction 1980). This is the 12" version taken from the LP, not the 7" edit. Proof that simplicity can be devastatingly haunting.

Is the 12" version the same as the album one?

Comment

yes it is zabadak.

Comment

Next up The Durutti Column, the nom de musique for Manchester guitarist Vini Reilly (see: http://www.thedurutticolumn.com/index.php). This is the haunting Spent Time, memorable for its use of Fender Rhodes pianos. Taken from his third LP Another Setting (Factory 1983 cat no. FACT 74).

I'd not heard this one before. Vini sounds remarkably like Genesis P-Orridge on this track. I saw Durutti Column at Manchester Town Hall in the mid-80s, around the the time of Circuses and Bread - Margi Clark was the support, but I had to leave as I had to get up early for work the next morning.

Nick

Comment

As it's the first Saturday of the month, four classic U.S. garage rock songs. First, The Denims, from Queens, New York active in the mid-1960s. This is their fifth and final single White Ship (Mercury 7" 1966).

Next, from Wilmington, Delaware we have The Enfields with I'm For Things You Do, the amazing B-side to their second single She Already Has Somebody ((Richie 7" 1966). Nice video clip.

Fallen Angels were formed in Washington D.C. in 1966 with Bad Woman (ECEIP 7" 1966).

The Gants hailed from Greenwood, Mississippi and this is their original song My Baby Don't Care, the b-side to their debut single, their cover of the Bo Diddley classic Roadrunner (Statue 7" 1965, re-released by Liberty 7" 1965) which was a regional Southern hit then a Billboard Top 50 hit when Liberty Records re-released it.

Last edited by agutterfan; 13th July 2018, 10:49 PM.

Comment

To finish with a complete change of period and genre, here are conceptualists Deux Filles (in reality deux garçons) with Her New Master, from their third LP Space & Time (Les Disques Du Crépuscule 2016 cat no. TWI 1161). The accompanying video most appropriately features deux belles filles françaises - the Dorléac sisters: French actors Françoise Dorléac & Catherine Deneuve (she took her mother's maiden name). Modesty prevents me from mentioning the name of the genius who made it.

Last edited by agutterfan; 1st April 2017, 10:22 AM.

Comment

yes it is zabadak.
                      Superb version!

Comment

Chromatics is an American electronic music band from Portland, Oregon, formed in 2001 and I only discovered them a few weeks ago due to this excellent Joy Division cover. Originally a low-fi post-punk group, when vocalist Ruth Radelet (vocals, guitar, synthesizer) joined in 2004 they started incorporating synth-pop, electronica and dream-pop into their mix. This is Chromatics (featuring Ida No of label mates Glass Candy on guitar) and their beautiful version of the last Joy Division song which became the first New Order single, Ceremony, taken from their seventh LP Cherry (Italians Do It Better 2016).

Last edited by agutterfan; 12th May 2018, 10:36 PM.

Comment

The Knack were a UK 60s band formed in Ilford Essex in 1964. They deserve to be better known. First, we have Time Time Time, the B-side to their 2nd UK single It's Love Baby (24 Hours a Day) (Decca 7" 1965) and their 5th UK single, (The Man From The) Marriage Guidance And Advice Bureau (Piccadilly 7" 1967)

Comment

Les Panties are a cold wave group from Brussels who use vintage synths and drum machines for that classic 80s music feel (a period they're clearly influenced by). They self-released three releases on their own Fantomes Records. This is the glorious Diving, from their rare Limited Edition cassette E.P. No Run (Fantomes Records 2012) but don't worry you can also find it on their compilation LP Cold Science (Les Disques du Crépuscule 2016 cat no. TWI 1227).

Last edited by agutterfan; 8th April 2017, 10:27 AM.

Comment

We finish with a legend of American 20th Century music, Muddy Waters (born McKinley Morganfield 1913-1983). This is his all-time classic I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man (Chess 7" 45rpm/ 10" 78rpm 1954), written by band mate the great legendary Willie Dixon. A staple of late 50s blues and early 60s U.K. rhythm 'n' blues scenes.

Comment

Today we start with a couple of Throwing Muses solo projects. I don't suppose many people share my undiluted love for this band and these people. However, these two tracks are great, so please enjoy. First, guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Tanya Donelly and the official 'movie' for her second solo single The Bright Light (4AD 7"/CD E.P.s released in two parts with differing extra tracks) taken from her unjustly neglected classic debut solo LP Lovesongs For Underdogs (4AD 1997). Then her step-sister Kristin Hersh (main vocalist/guitarist/songwriter) and the official video for her most recent work, Soma Gone Slapstick, taken from her 2016 project Wyatt at the Coyote Palace (Omnibus Press book & 2 CD package 2016). Fantastic. See: https://www.kristinhersh.com/books/w...coyote-palace/

Last edited by agutterfan; 15th April 2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X