• Show
Clear All

• I discovered this euro song that mangles the English language. Examples:

"When you find the light to an upset shade away
    If you never-never let me go with every melody
    And you often were at leaving just my life"

"If you're really not to tug an end bye to my fantasy, me too."

"Just a random access memories of dreams
    As you're hangin' upon me, do you love melody?
    Thief of golden toys to an upset time away" etc.

If ever a song deserved a dunce's cap, this is it:

Comment

• Another bad euro song. Lyrics: https://genius.com/P-lion-happy-children-lyrics

Comment

• I know very little about The Blues Company except they hailed from Bay City Michigan and apparently only released three singles, see https://cosmicmindatplay.wordpress.c...hes-gone-1968/. This is their debut Experiment In Color (Great Lakes Records 7" 1968). The tracks were flipped when the single was rereleased by Detroit based AMG Records.

Comment

• Next up, the wonderful Jefferson Airplane and from easily their best album (indeed one of the best albums of all time) Surrealistic Pillow (RCA 1967) this is their cover of their ex-drummer, now guitarist for Moby Grape, Skip Spence song My Best Friend. Next week a brace of great tunes from that damn fine album.

Last edited by agutterfan; 15th June 2019, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• And now for a rarity from The Smiths, this is Wonderful Woman, released as an additional track on the twelve inch version of their second single This Charming Man (Rough Trade 12" 1983). Wonderful.

Comment

• Snowblink (see http://snowblinksays.com/) are a Toronto based indie-pop duo and this is their lovely cover of that old Rodgers & Hart classic Blue Moon, taken from the podcast/radio station Radiolab, broadcast by NPR (National Public Radio).

Comment

• We finish with English singer/songwriter & pianist Bill Fay, who released one single in the 60s and two LPs in the 70s before being dropped from his record label. He has this century been rediscovered due to his song Be Not So Fearful and here is his great 60s single, Screams In The Ears c/w Some Good Advice (Deram 7" 1967). Note the great discordant guitar on the latter from 01:26. Brilliant. Until next week ...

Comment

• We start today with London 80s indie pop band Biff Bang Pow and this is the wonderful She's Got Diamonds In Her Hair from their third LP Oblivion (Creation 1987).

Comment

• Broken Social Scene hail from Toronto and this is Deathcock, an outtake originally recorded for their second LP You Forgot It In People (Arts & Crafts/Paper Bag 2002), which was included on the label's tenth anniversary sampler 2003-2013 (Arts& Crafts 2013).

Last edited by agutterfan; 22nd June 2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Foliage is the solo project of San Bernardino California musician Manuel Joseph Walker and this is the delicate URL, from his debut LP Truths (Human Sounds 2015). I think the vocals should have been mixed louder, but this is a common complaint I and others have about the dream pop and shoegaze genres.

Comment

• Sunflower Bean are a rock trio hailing from Glen Head New York (see https://www.sunflowerbeanband.com/) and this is their seventh single I Was a Fool (UK: 7" Lucky Number 2017/US: 7" Mom+Pop 2018), which was released first in the U.K. as a single sided 7" limited edition vinyl single (500 copies only). But you can also find it on their second LP Twentytwo In Blue (sic) (UK: Lucky Number/US Mom+Pop 2018). Hope you like it.

Comment

• As promised last week, a brace of fantastic songs form Jefferson Airplane's classic second LP Surrealistic Pillow (RCA 1967), one of the 100 best albums ever made. So we finish with Comin' Back to Me (great found footage video) and the poppy How Do You Feel. Go on, feed your head. Fantabolous! Until next week...

Comment

• I'm trying to remember some music video I saw, probably in the 1990s, on Top of the Pops. A group of young Americans were frenetically diving in and out of a circle of break-dancers on the floor and joining in. I particularly remember one lad of probably Chinese ethnicity, though clearly American-born, chanting, "It ain't LIKE that!" Does that ring a bell with anybody?

Comment

• Probably ...

No. 1 in 1997

An unhappy reminder of how aggressive 'mainstream' dancing has become in the Pop world since the mid-1980s. I don't watch Strictly Come Dancing but have seen enough clips to know it's more pleasing to the eye (smiling couples in elegant costumes as opposed to 'cool' show-offs in scruffy clothes). No wonder Britain and American are more violent countries these days.

It's actually got worse since that horrible video was made with the sinister genres of "Drill" and "Grime" music becoming popular in recent years - leading to many deaths.

Comment

• Thanks for finding that, cornershop15. Musical styles are more likely a symptom of the society producing them, rather than the other way round. But 'violent' music doesn't necessarily make you violent. Do opera-lovers go on a rampage after hearing 'Ride of the Valkyries' performed?

And so far as personal dress style goes, I prefer not to judge a book by its cover. The SS wore immaculate uniforms, after all, but that didn't make them nice people. And which is better: a department store or a corner shop?

Comment

Working...
                                X