Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly, I know nothing about The Martyrs except I think they came from Champaign–Urbana Illinois USA and they released one LP, the eponymous The Martyrs (SWAB 1982). From it this is the track entitled either Well of Hope or Wall Of Hope (depending on sources). Enjoy.

Last edited by agutterfan; 22nd April 2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Here's Blaine L Reininger, an American post-punk singer, songwriter, musician, multi-instrumentalist (particularly violin), writer and performer, a member of the group Tuxedomoon. This is Anstrigone, from his project Commissions (Les Disques du Crépuscule 2 CD set 2013 cat no. TWI 1158), a double-CD retrospective of Reininger's catalogue of theatre and dance productions staged from 2008 onwards.

Comment

We finish today with an all-time blues classic. The Red Rooster, as it was originally titled, though more famously known as Little Red Rooster. Written by Willie Dixon, this is the first recording of The Red Rooster (Chess 7" 1961) by all-time blues legend Howlin' Wolf. Absolutely superb. Until next week ...

Comment

Caravan - Canterbury Band who had risqueish album titles in the 70's
          This song is 'The Dog The Dog he's at it again'

Comment

I saw Caravan live at Cromer in 1977ish - their support band was a bunch of greasy looking characters called the Count Bishops (I loved them )
            They played 100mph R and B - excellent rythmn guitarist (Zenon de Fleur) who unfortunately did not survive a car crash a couple of years later
            A live recording from 1977

Comment

Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
              Today we start with a couple of Throwing Muses solo projects. I don't suppose many people share my undiluted love for this band and these people. However, these two tracks are great, so please enjoy. First, guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Tanya Donelly and the official 'movie' for her second solo single The Bright Light (4AD 7"/CD E.P.s released in two parts with differing extra tracks) taken from her unjustly neglected classic debut solo LP Lovesongs For Underdogs (4AD 1997). Then her step-sister Kristin Hersh (main vocalist/guitarist/songwriter) and the official video for her most recent work, Soma Gone Slapstick, taken from her 2016 project Wyatt at the Coyote Palace (Omnibus Press book & 2 CD package 2016). Fantastic. See: https://www.kristinhersh.com/books/w...coyote-palace/

Au contraire, I am a huge fan of the Muses and was lucky enough to see them touring the Limbo album!

I am also a big, big fan of Ms Hersh (Strange Angels is probably my favourite album!) and saw her live twice in the 90s.

I am on her mailing list and will no doubt buy the expensive version of Wyatt... at some pint.

Not a huge fan of Tanya Donnelly - I find her lightweight in comparison to her step-sister, but I have several of her recordings, too.

Comment

My entry into the world of Kristin Hersh was through Limbo, and then Strange Angels. Her Facebook feeds are generally very interesting as she has a great many strange encounters. A personal favourite is "When the Levee Breaks".

Nick

Comment

Thank you zabadak and Nick. Well, at least there's four of us (I know jimw1 likes them too). Now, can I interest you in my current crush - Wye Oak!?

Comment

River City People with the lovely Siohban Maher/Kennedy on vocals

Also this track really suited her voice (especially on good quality hi fi) - The Sea

Comment

Some harpsichord heaven for LadyKat, and an introduction to Patrick McGoohan's brilliant TV series Danger Man. Britmovie members should be familiar with composer Edwin Astley (sometimes credited as Ted), who composed & scored many great TV shows, especially for ITC (The Saint being a stellar example). He had broken the mould with the original half hour series of Danger Man by using a jazz score. For the 1964 hour long revival he decided to keep a jazzy feel to the music, but with the harpsichord as the dominant instrument, both in the theme and as incidental stings. This video features the opening teaser credit intro with the opening cue (13 secs long) that accompanied it, plus the end theme, similar to the opening theme but made better by the additional closing two notes. When it came to record the harpsichord player asked Edwin how he wanted to play it. "Boogie-Woogie style" was the response. Only a genius like Edwin could take a 17thC classical instrument and use it to play a 20thC ethnic musical style. The show would certainly have been poorer without this music (throughout all the 47 hour-long episodes). As a child, those opening harpsichord stings used to thrill me, as it set the tone and meant for the next hour I was in for the treat of my life. They still do. Next week, I'll post a musical track from his daughter (aaaah, you didn't know he had a musical daughter, did you?).

Last edited by agutterfan; 22nd April 2017, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Next up, The Beat (known in the U.S. as The English Beat) with their excellent single Save It For Later (Go Feet 7" 1982) from their third and final LP Special Beat Service (Go Feet 1982). This is the infectious official video that was a MTV hit in the U.S..

Comment

For a change of mood, here's Maxence Cyrin, a French pianist and composer living in Paris, and his instrumental cover of the Gavin Bryars song Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet (the original has lyrics sung by Tom Waits). Taken from his seventh LP Novö Piano II (France: Evidence Classics 2015, Worldwide: Little Tribeca 2016). I hope you like it. Check out the original too (as well as Maxence's superb version of the Pixies song Where Is My Mind?).

Last edited by agutterfan; 22nd April 2017, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Now prepare to swoon in ecstasy at the superbly, sweepingly melodic Shouting In Cafés (Cherry Red 7"/12" 1985) by 80s Leicestershire band In Embrace. This is the short 7" version, not the 81/2 minute 12" version, which I can't find on t'net, and which sadly I don't own (it was later on their mini-LP This Brilliant Evening).

Comment

We finish today with One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer (well, that's how I end most of my evenings). This is Amos Milburn and His Aladdin Chickenshackers (US: Aladdin UK: Vogue Pop 7" 1953). Until next week ...

Last edited by agutterfan; 22nd April 2017, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Currently listening to Ultraviolence by Lana Del Rey

Comment

Working...
                                X