No announcement yet.

Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our weekly trip to France's yé-yé girls settles on another of Serge's compositions. This time for France Gall, who in 1965, aged 17, won Eurovision for Luxembourg. This is the promo film for her second single, Laisser Tomber Les Filles (Philips 7" 1964).

Last edited by agutterfan; 13 February 2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Hatchie (real name Harriette Pilbeam) is an Australian singer-songwriter and musician, and this is the official video for her excellent pop single Obsessed (Heavenly CDr single 2019), from her debut LP Keepsake (Heavenly 2019). Love the New Order-style guitar solos (first heard @ 1:43). Buy here: https://hatchie.bandcamp.com/album/keepsake.

Comment

• As promised last week, two official videos for OMD's two singles from their fourth LP Dazzle Ships (Telegraph 1983). First, the genius of Genetic Engineering (Telegraph 7"/12" 1983). True to their experimental methods in constructing pop songs, they used various typewriters for the rhythm as well as Speak & Spell, an educational electronic toy developed by Texas Instruments in the 1970s intended to teach children spelling. Then we conclude with Telegraph (Telegraph 7"/12" 1983). The album was dismissed as an artistic folly and thus a commercial failure. I'll let you be the judge. Hope you like them. Until next week ...

Comment

• We start today with modern Portland Oregon country/folk rock band Blitzen Trapper and the superb Booksmart Baby, from their fourth LP Furr (Sub Pop 2008), which got a rerelease in 2018. Buy here: https://blitzentrapper.bandcamp.com/...deluxe-edition.

Last edited by agutterfan; 20 February 2021, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Buffalo Springfield were a Canadian-American band formed in Los Angeles in 1966, featuring future stars Neil Young and Stephen Stills, who wrote their most popular song, For What It's Worth (ATCO 7" 1966). Their third single, released at the end of the year but not reaching No. 7 in the U.S. charts until March 1967, where it was included on the second pressing of their debut LP Buffalo Springfield (ATCO 1966). It's gone down in history and popular culture as one of the great protest songs of the counter-culture. Hope you like this promo film.

Comment

• The French yé-yé scene also included actresses such as Anna Karina. Born in Denmark, she ran away to Paris aged 17 where she was discovered and started a modelling career. She became a muse for French film director Jean-Luc Godard, starting her acting career in 1961, where she soon became an icon of the French nouvelle vague, then in 1965 began her singing career. This is The Trogg's inspired Roller Girl, from her 1967 TVMovie Anna. Released on the four track E.P. Bande Originale De La Comédie Musicale Anna (Philips 7" 1967). The film clip is from the movie. Hope you like it.

Comment

• Lea Nixon was a Wigan folk singer who won first prize in a music contest hosted by Disc magazine. This was £250 (quite a lot of money in 1973) and a single deal with CBS, and here it is. The delightful Off To Find A New Land was the B-side to A New Kind of Feeling (Epic 7" 1973) and sadly it was his only single.

Comment

• We finish with Australia & New Zealand singer-songwriter Lisa Crawley and a couple of tracks from her. First, the achingly beautiful Taken, the moment of pure magic @ 01:43 just breaks my heart. From her second LP All In My Head (self-released CD/digital 2013). Then we conclude with Tragedy Boy (self-released digital single 2020). Buy here: https://lisacrawley.bandcamp.com/album/all-in-my-head and here https://lisacrawley.bandcamp.com/track/tragedy-boy. Until next week ...

Comment

• I'm old enough to recall this being shown on "Juke Box Jury" & getting the thumbs down!

Comment

• agutterfan
                      agutterfan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don't worry wadsy, "oi'll give it five!"

• Haha!

Comment

• We start today with The Byrds eighth single, the Indian raga influenced proto-psychedelic Eight Miles High (CBS 7" 1966), also included on their third LP Fifth Dimension (CBS 1966). Banned by U.S. radio stations it didn't quite make the Billboard Top 10, but it's a hugely influential number. This is one of my favourite TV appearances of theirs.

Comment

• Next up, an all-time electro-pop-dance classic from New Order. This is the full unedited original release of The Perfect Kiss (Factory 12" 1985 cat no. Fac123, the video being inverted as Fac321). The 4 minute 'radio' edit is included on their compilations (and the mothership Low-Life LP), even the Substance version is 45 seconds shorter. This original version can only be found on the Low-Life remastered double CD package.

Comment

• Jon Plum was in fact a duo, Jon Kennett and Dave Plummer, and they released a brace of singles for Simon Napier-Bell's Snb label. This is the second, Alice (Snb 7" 1969). Hope you like it.

Comment

• This week's yé-yé girl is Arlette Zola. Born Arlette Jaquet in Switzerland she came third in Eurovision 1982 for her native country. Her best single, Je Suis Folle De Tant T'aimer (RCA Victor 7" 1971) is quite a late addition (she'd already recorded a quarter century of singles, but it's magnifique, n'est-ce pas?).

Comment

• We finish with a brace of official videos from 90s Britpop group Sleeper. They've tended to be underrated and neglected, but at the time they were far superior to such mundane efforts as Menswear ("Who?" I hear you ask. Well exactly) and their music has aged well. Fronted by the lovely Louise Wener (who spent most of the 90s lusting after my good self) they released an impressive batch of guitar pop singles, but they folded after their much maligned (and unjustly so in my opinion) third album, though they briefly reunited in 2017 and recorded a new LP. Here are two excellent U.K. Top 10 singles, Nice Guy Eddie (Indolent 7"/casse/CD 1996) and the marvelous Sale of the Century (Indolent 7"/casse/CD 1996) with its singalong chorus (complete with joanna), Louise's caustic lyrics as usual, and wonderful outro, which still sends a shiver down my spine. Both came from their excellent second LP The It Girl (Indolent 1996). Until next week ...

Comment

Working...
                              X