Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Lawyers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric7885
    started a topic Lawyers

Lawyers

Every time you put the telly on, lawyers are advertising their services. Big profits can be had, if you sue. If we do not win, No charge. Get what you deserve, sue. Lawyer, here in Canada, as I recall, did not advertise their services on the telly till around 1987. I THINK it was the same in America. As Steve Cook, put it, the lawyers come out winning, one way or another. I THINK I took up the wrong work, flight attendant, I should have become a lawyer, if so, I might be driving a Bentley.

Last edited by Eric7885; 12th November 2017, 06:56 PM.

• Steve Crook
    replied
    Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post

Neither. But that does bring up the question - what was the point of your original post?
    The original post in this thread wasn't mine. I was just agreeing with it and commenting on it

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Bonekicker
    replied
    So are you an actual lawyer or just a wannabe?
    Totally missed the point
    Neither. But that does bring up the question - what was the point of your original post?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Crook
    replied
    So are you an actual lawyer or just a wannabe?
    Totally missed the point

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Bonekicker
    replied
    A) Lawyers (and people moaning about them) are nothing new - there were law courts in Ancient Rome. But lawyers can be the difference between dictatorship and the rule of law

b) Most lawyers dont earn a fortune, but do have to go through a lot to get a law degree, never mind qualify as a barrister, etc. Law has always been seen as one of the most difficult degrees, normally second to medicine.

c) Being a lawyer is a profession, but its also a business. And you need to advertise.

d) We dont have to like lawyers, but we do sometimes need them. I moved house this year, and much as I got to hate dealing with my two sets of lawyers, never mind those of the buyer and the seller, I paid for a service that ultimately protected me. I need to make a will - I can just fill one out online (actually, I did a law course at university and have witnessed a fair number of wills at various jobs), but getting a professional to make sure its done right is a better idea. And if we get arrested or have to sue someone, then disliking lawyers all you like wont make up for the fact is that you need them.

Politicians often start out as lawyers because its a profession which trains people to argue and put the best light on things, and actually makes law. If they retire, then of course they are going to get approached to use both their legal background and their political experience. But very few politicians write books that anyone wants to read, even if you were at the top, and if you are at the top, then your more likely to be paid by companies to sit on a board or be a consultant, because they value your experience and your contacts. Plus you can paid a lot for corporate speeches. But most dont. Most disappear without trace.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Crook
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric7885 View Post
    Ever notice when a politician leaves public service, they usually end up as lawyers in prestige law firms, or writing books and become instant millionars
    Exactly, my point

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Eric7885
    replied
    Steve, I am a ordinary bloke. Driving around in a Bentley or Rolls, is not my thing. I am quite happy driving my 23 year old Lexus. Ever notice when a politician leaves public service, they usually end up as lawyers in prestige law firms, or writing books and become instant millionaires.
    Last edited by Eric7885; 19th November 2017, 01:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Crook
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric7885 View Post
    Every time you put the telly on, lawyers are advertising their services. Big profits can be had, if you sue. If we do not win, No charge. Get what you deserve, sue. Lawyer, here in Canada, as I recall, did not advertise their services on the telly till around 1987. I THINK it was the same in America. As Steve Cook, put it, the lawyers come out winning, one way or another. I THINK I took up the wrong work, flight attendant, I should have become a lawyer, if so, I might be driving a Bentley.
    But could you look at yourself in the mirror every morning if you knew that you were fleecing the most vulnerable members of society?

The rules about lawyers advertising their services were made by politicians, and many (or most) politicians are lawyers

Steve

Leave a comment:

Working...
X