Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Bye bye Donald?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Hamilton View Post

Are we going to have a 'Bye, Bye, Mark O' thread?
    It could get a bit monotonous.

I have a "Welcome back Mark" image ready for his next post.

Comment

Donald Trump’s ghostwriter claims the president will find a way to resign so that he avoids looking like he is “losing”.

Tony Schwartz, who ghostwrote Trump’s ‘The Art of the Deal’ book, said that the controversial president will claim “victory” by resigning before he is impeached.

He told CNN: “He lacks empathy, the ability to really connect with other people, self-awareness and above all, a conscience … there is no right and wrong – there is winning and losing.

“Right now, he is in pure terror that he is going to lose.

“By the way, he is going to lose. I surely believe that at some point over next period of time, he is going to have to figure out a way to resign.”

Schwartz was speaking after calls were made for Trump to be impeached over claims he placed pressure on fired FBI Director James Comey to drop an investigation over links to Russia.

He added: ”The reason he is going to do that as opposed to go through what could be an impeachment process or a continuing humiliation is that he wants to figure out a way as he has done all his career, to turn a loss into a victory.

“So he will declare victory when he leaves.”

Schwartz followed Trump around for several months before ghostwriting the 1987 book.

~Andy Wells - Yahoo US on May 19, 2017, 2:10 pm

Comment

He is such an idiot. Complaining about how unfair the media is to him. He brought this on himself. He is his own worst enemy.
        Kevin Drum writes about this in Mother Jones this morning:

I missed President Trump's press conference this afternoon, but Josh Marshall sums it up for me:
        The only real consistency in Trump’s remarks are that he did nothing wrong and his anger at whomever he’s angry at at that moment. Everything else is mutable and up for grabs. He’s mad, mad at everyone, mad at Comey, also mad at Rosenstein and he made that anger clear in something like a million ways during this brief performance.
        That's our president. Mad at everybody, all the time—except himself. I wonder if he really lacks self-awareness so utterly that he has no idea he's the one causing all the chaos? Or that he almost certainly broke the law pretty seriously when he asked Comey to kill the Russia investigation? Is he that clueless?

Probably. Trump always thought the business world was a lot tougher than politics, so being president would be a breeze. That was a level of cluelessness that's truly mind-boggling. Leaving aside the fact that Trump never actually ran his business in any real sense of the word—and was never as successful as he thought he was—that world was patty-cake compared to big-league politics. In only a few months Washington DC has eaten him alive.

And the rest of the planet is even worse. Trump has already shown signs of being taken to the cleaners by foreign leaders, and this is almost certain to continue. That's because despite his big talk, he's never shown any real talent for negotiation. Dan Drezner makes the case here, and it's not pretty.
        http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dru...ake-it-anymore

Trump not only fired the head of the FBI (which has only happened once before) but gave a stupid reason for it, which his team then went out to sell. Then he said it was about something else, which made them look stupid as well as liars, as well as associates in possible obstruction of justice http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/trum...s-comey-firing. And having made things even worse, he then blames everyone around him. There are lots of reasons why a load of posts remain unfilled, but one is simple - who wants the grief?

In short, he has no clue, and will not listen to advice. He does stuff, no matter how meaningless or shortsighted, to give the appearance of doing something, even when he's probably getting played https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.a80d4b8a1178 . And he doesn't like foreign trips - he regards it as all very far away (especially from his own bed and toilet) and he's knows little of it http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/pr...-abroad-travel. He does like autocrats, but thats about it. And he's already hacked off the CIA, NSA, FBI and GCHQ, scared MI6, and has now annoyed Mossad by blabbing about their operation with ISIS to the Russians. Its like Watergate on steroids.

And yet the Republicans will defend him to the death http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...flynn-scandals - 80% plus approval ratings from Republicans (and while he keeps the base, he keeps his job), even as his numbers with everyone else crater. But remember that Nixon still had 50% plus positive support from Republicans just days before he resigned. Of course this is just this week - someone joked they went to the shower, and when they were done yet another scandal broke out. People wanted the chaos candidate and now they've got him.

Comment

These political threads are poison

Comment

Where is the poison? Trump is the poison.

Comment

It's politics, it's all about self-interest. The Democrats attack him constantly because it is in their interest to get him out, they can then position themselves as the people who saved America. The Republicans won't abandon him until it's not longer in their interest to be seen supporting him, and then they can claim some victory in being the people who saved America. But we are a long way from that, so they will, in public at least, stand behind him.

Comment

Originally posted by TimR View Post
                These political threads are poison
                No, I think people, some people, are poison. It should be perfectly possible for reasonable adults to have a discussion a politics, or any subject for that matter. 'Reasonable adults' is the key!

Comment

Quick! While he's out of the country let's build a wall.

Comment

It's politics, it's all about self-interest. The Democrats attack him constantly because it is in their interest to get him out, they can then position themselves as the people who saved America.
                    There is of course an element of self interest - Democrats want to win back the House and the Senate, plus they are seeing Obama's legacy shredded before their eyes, and don't forget revenge. The GOP did everything they could to thwart Obama at every turn, carried out self confessed political vendettas against anyone in his administration (particularly Hillary Clinton), tried to shut down the government over the debt ceiling, and even blocked a fine SCOTUS candidate for a year for no reason other than because Obama had put him forward. And they blatantly used race as a weapon - Trump wasn't unusual, he was just louder than some. Obama was attacked because he was being a (Democrat) President while black.

And yet, this is not normal. Dozens of former senior Republican officals did not sign a letter last year warning of Trump https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...rump.html?_r=0 because the Democrats told them to - they did it because the were scared of what he might do. A number of high profile Republicans publicly backed Hillary Clinton for the same reason, and newspapers who have backed every single Republican candidate since the 19th century endorsed her too.

USA Today (a rather boring and staid publication, to be honest), had this editorial https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...tes/101757556/ a couple of days ago. 'Pretend Hillary Clinton did what Trump has done' - ask yourself that question, and the answer is:
                    Had Clinton been elected and done a 10th of the things Trump has done, the calls from the right for her removal would be deafening, louder even than the “lock her up” shouts during the presidential campaign.
                    Actually, you realise that not only would the Republicans have called by now for her execution ('hang the bitch!' was the cry at Trump rallies), but she would have already been removed to a prison. They said they would have drawn up the impeachment papers on day one anyway, and that was just because they wanted to. Actual bad stuff didn't come into it. Emails? Seriously?

And Democrats? If she had been caught just with the problem of her National Security Advisor's having paid links to just Turkey, then Dems would have called her out on it.

But Trump's record even over the last week is awful http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...omey-this-week - the guy fired the head of the FBI (and the lied about why he did so and whose fault it actually was), after asking for his personal loyality and wanting him to quash an investigation into his campaigns links with the Russians. Links that include his National Security Advisor (who they knew was on the Turks payroll, and had been warned about his Russian connections), and apparently his son-in-law, whose now sitting in the WH. And thats just as small part of it.You couldn't make this stuff up.

Objectively, he's an awful human being, and a dreadful choice for such a job. But what makes it even worse is the role his family is now playing in the WH and the fact that he's no problem with the conflicts of interest that result. Add to that the total disregard for the law, and rules of conduct, plus the links that his campaign and family have with outside influences, and you have a perfect storm of ****.

Democrats need to go after him in exactly the same way that the GOP and the media should have gone after him in the first place - he's dangerous, and unworthy. This is not normal, and we had better not forget that.

Comment

• "This is not normal, and we had better not forget that."

I have never been remotely interested in a US president before, but now I find that I wake up each morning looking forward to checking the news. Each day, I expect to see some new and unexpected nonsense to have happened. I await the latest tweet with bated breath.

It is becoming normal.

That is not the way it should be.

Comment

• Each day, I expect to see some new and unexpected nonsense to have happened. I await the latest tweet with bated breath.
                        I'm current watching Ghostbusters (my ten year old professes not to be too impressed, but tough, its a classic and there was nothing suitable on TV), and there is a bit which jumped out at me. Its where Stantz explains about the structure of Dana Barrett's building:

Stantz: Cold riveted girders with cores of pure selenium

Venkman: Ray, pretend for a moment that I don't know anything about metallurgy, engineering, or physics, and just tell me what the hell is going on.

Stantz: You never studied. The whole building is a huge super-conductive antenna that was designed and built expressly for the purpose of pulling in and concentrating spiritual turbulence. Your girlfriend lives in the corner penthouse of Spook Central.

Venkman: [to jailbirds suddenly looking over the blueprints] Everybody getting this so far? So what? I guess they just don't make them like they used to, huh?

Stantz: [slaps Venkman up the head] No! Nobody ever made them like this! I mean, the architect was either a certified genius or an authentic wacko!

Venkman: Ray, pretend for a moment that I don't know anything about metallurgy, engineering, or physics, and just tell me what the hell is going on. Stantz: You never studied. The whole building is a huge super-conductive antenna that was designed and built expressly for the purpose of pulling in and concentrating spiritual turbulence. Your girlfriend lives in the corner penthouse of Spook Central.
                        'No! Nobody ever made them like this! I mean, the architect was either a certified genius or an authentic wacko!' - really resonates, especially when Spengler goes on to explain that the building architect, Ivo Shandor, had a cult -

They conducted rituals up on the roof, bizarre rituals intended to bring about the end of the world, and now it looks like it may actually happen!
                        Nobody ever made them like this presidency. Time to fire up the proton packs and try not to cross the streams!

Comment

• Trump's short list to replace Comey keeps getting shorter. Practically everyone on it has removed themselves.

Comment

• "Many people are saying it was wonderful that Mrs. Obama refused to wear a scarf in Saudi Arabia, but they were insulted. We have enuf enemies" -Trump tweet , Jan. 2015.

Melania and Ivanka are there with him now, heads uncovered.

Comment

• This POTUS is not a politician. He has never had to stand by anything he's said. He's never had to be careful with words or discreet with the information inside his head. His mouth opens (or his tweet fingers twitch) and out comes anything and everything that might be momentarily resting in his brain. He won't remember that he criticised Michele Obama for not wearing a veil. He probably doesn't remember that she was the nice lady who welcomed him into the White House a few months ago. He certainly wouldn't think that anyone expects him to live up to any of the standards that others have lived by. He believes that he is unique. One of a kind. He invented ratings. He is the best president that has ever been. He is the most hated president with the most haters, the hatested of all time. Proud of it in a way. Looks like it will be the most successful part of the presidency.
                              Last edited by StoneAgeMan; 21st May 2017, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Donald Trump reminds me of a metronome, always swinging to and fro. He changes his mind about things on a daily basis and no one knows where they stand with him. One minute he's making a big fuss of FBI chief James Comey and telling everyone what a great guy he is and the next minute he fires him and he's calling him a grandstander; a showboat and a nutcase. How can anyone in the US government work with someone like that who doesn't know his own mind?

Comment

Working...
                                X