Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Making screencaps - tips and hints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making screencaps - tips and hints

I've just made my first venture into screen captures from movies and I think I understand how to do it now. Are there any tips that the experts can share with us beginners?

I used VLC media player to view the DVD (in this case, "Monty Python's Meaning of Life"(1983)) and at first I would click the pause button then go to the menu at the top of the screen to select Video, Take Snapshot. Then I found the settings that allowed me to use a clickable button for frame-by-frame and one for taking the snapshot (View, Advanced Controls).

There are other settings and Advanced controls that I haven't explored yet. Things in VLC Media Player that talk about the sharpness etc.

So far my captures have been of the full frame. I know that the recognition fans often post individual portraits of people from the movies. Is there a standard size/ratio required for this? How much image manipulation is too much (lightening or darkening, messing with colours, etc)?

I'm new to all this and there are some very experienced members here that may be able to save us a lot of wasted time if they can share some helpful hints...

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
    I've just made my first venture into screen captures from movies and I think I understand how to do it now. Are there any tips that the experts can share with us beginners?

I used VLC media player to view the DVD (in this case, "Monty Python's Meaning of Life"(1983)) and at first I would click the pause button then go to the menu at the top of the screen to select Video, Take Snapshot. Then I found the settings that allowed me to use a clickable button for frame-by-frame and one for taking the snapshot (View, Advanced Controls).
    I think you've got it, that's how I get screen grabs

Steve

Comment

Same here, but on this new forum it is possible to bypass VLC and copy screencaps straight from your computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
        Same here, but on this new forum it is possible to bypass VLC and copy screencaps straight from your computer.
        How?

Steve

Comment

By either using the Share Photos (camera icon) button above or by clicking on the image button, then upload, browse, save it to the server, OK, fullsize or whatever and OK.

Comment

Do you mean "bypass photobucket", instead of "bypass VLC"?

Comment

To link in a picture you have to go to advanced text, click the image icon and add the picture URL there, but it works fine.
              Happy Birthday Adrienne Posta by the way!
              AND by adding the link URL, clicking the picture takes you to the webpage from whence it came, which will be useful for Movie-dude and I

Comment

Okay, so to clarify for the beginners.
                Watch the DVD at home.
                Watch it on your PC and pause, take a screenshot, save it to your PC.
                From there, you can either;
                a) upload it to a photo-sharing site like Photobucket, or put it on your own webpage - then put a link to the photograph on the thread like we have done here.
                or
                b) upload it to the thread directly from your PC, and it gets stored on the Forum's server as a saved image.

Option a) allows people to see the picture in this thread ... and also click on it to be taken to the website that it came from. That can be useful if you want people to see more of the stuff that you want them to see. It is also the method to use if you have found the image on someone else's site and you want them to have the exposure, or receive the credit or whatever.

Did I get that right?

Comment

Do you mean "bypass photobucket", instead of "bypass VLC"?
                  Yes, sorry, I meant bypass Photobucket.

Comment

Next question.
                    How do you make screen grabs from YouTube videos? The quality is usually far less than a DVD or BluRay but sometimes they are the best you can find.

Comment

As I posted on the old forum - you can also use the Windows Snipping tool which will appear in the menu when you single click the Start Button on your PC - also works fine with youtube images

Comment

Next question.
                        How do you make screen grabs from YouTube videos? The quality is usually far less than a DVD or BluRay but sometimes they are the best you can find.
                        There is of course the Print Screen button on your keyboard (works in Windows).

(a) Pause the YouTube vid, then press Print Screen on your keyboard.
                        (b) Load PAINT (formerly Paintbrush)
                        (c) Paste (this pastes the entire screen)
                        (d) Select and cut-out your picture, then use CUT (shortcut:CTRL X)
                        (e) Start a new Paint picture (click File -> New)
                        (f) Paste again, only your cut reappears
                        (g) Save picture, job done

Personally, I prefer using Irfanview for cropping pics - it is free and pretty simply to use: http://www.irfanview.com/

Good luck!

Comment

Use VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.en-GB.html), play the video and then just pause and select Video -> Take Snapshot

Simple

Steve

Comment

There seem to be about half a dozen ways to post pictures on here, some more successful/simple than others. I've been using the Upload Attachments button in the last couple of days or so to post pictures direct from my computer and it seems to be functioning pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by jno View Post

There is of course the Print Screen button on your keyboard (works in Windows).

(a) Pause the YouTube vid, then press Print Screen on your keyboard.
                              (b) Load PAINT (formerly Paintbrush)
                              (c) Paste (this pastes the entire screen)
                              (d) Select and cut-out your picture, then use CUT (shortcut:CTRL X)
                              (e) Start a new Paint picture (click File -> New)
                              (f) Paste again, only your cut reappears
                              (g) Save picture, job done

Personally, I prefer using Irfanview for cropping pics - it is free and pretty simply to use: http://www.irfanview.com/

Good luck!
                              Thanks for reminding me how to do that, jno: someone did tell me how to do this years ago and I'd completely forgotten, so your step by step guide was a great refresher for me!

Screencapping from a DVD is a whole different matter. It never occurs to me to play a DVD on my computer, I only use my Blu Ray Player & TV for that. But I tried...and nothing happened. If I understand correctly some computers are only geared up to play audio CDs in the disc drive and you have to install something (already getting too complicated for me) to play a DVD - not sure if I've got that right? Anyway, I gamely downloaded that VLC thing but it didn't work at all; then I spent ages "uninstalling" it....with eventual success.
                              Simple? I must be!!!

If StoneAgeMan - way way ahead of me - regards himself as a "beginner", then I should perhaps change my username to PrimordialSoup.

Comment

Working...
                              X