Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Playing video files- what media players do you use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing video files- what media players do you use?

I use VLC but in the last couple of days it has become pretty slow! What do you guys use??

I've tried most of them but always come back to VLC. If you find it running slow the problem will be with your computer, not VLC. It's not a net based program.

Comment

VLC is still fine for me, but could be worth looking at the version you use.

Comment

By far the most popular one is VLC. Try uninstalling your version and downloading newest version (even if you think your's is the latest). Usually very reliable.

When you say "slow", is the program just slow starting up, or is it playing video files slow? Do you have any separate codec packs installed ? (an absolute no-no !)

However, by far and away the absolute BEST is Daum PotPlayer. Impeccable player.

Comment

I flip between Windows , Android & Linux , OS , so players vary ,

Windows by design is not fast & its performance lives or dies by hard disk quality & type , and often the latest versions of freeware don't mean the best , I;m still using VLC player 1.1 on Windows , & Mplayer older versions .
          Last edited by AlecLeamas; 21st December 2017, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arthur linden-jones View Post
            By far the most popular one is VLC. Try uninstalling your version and downloading newest version (even if you think your's is the latest). Usually very reliable.

When you say "slow", is the program just slow starting up, or is it playing video files slow? Do you have any separate codec packs installed ? (an absolute no-no !)

However, by far and away the absolute BEST is Daum PotPlayer. Impeccable player.
            Tried re-installing it twice. It works okay now but you can def tell a quality change over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post

Tried re-installing it twice. It works okay now but you can def tell a quality change over the years.
              We are talking about video files, aren't we? On that assumption, no harm in trying others, for comparison sake
              - Daum PotPlayer
              - MPC player (might as well try both versions MPC-HC and MPC-BE)
              - KM player

What's the source of your playback - DVD/BRD, video files (type, source?)

Check your video card/chip drivers are up to date.

Failing monitor?

All factors in degraded playback quality.
              Last edited by arthur linden-jones; 19th December 2017, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Those recommendations sound nice I'll check them out. I'm not sure why the sudden change with my VLC player... maybe my computer is just getting old :/ KM Player seems to have a good review from what I've heard. I read up on a few options here, so will go through your suggestions and these ones to see if there's something that runs better than VLC. But alas, it might be my worn out processors

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                  Those recommendations sound nice I'll check them out. I'm not sure why the sudden change with my VLC player... maybe my computer is just getting old :/ KM Player seems to have a good review from what I've heard. I read up on a few options here, so will go through your suggestions and these ones to see if there's something that runs better than VLC. But alas, it might be my worn out processors
                  You could have another program running in the background draining the resources? Just click CONTROL-ALT- DELETE this will bring up a splash screen and if you look in 'Task Manager' it will show you what is running now and whether you want to switch them off.

Comment

Working...
                  X