Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Why are they still making reality television?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are they still making reality television?

While researching vintage television it struck me that the programmes of yesterday were more entertaining and inventive compared to today's rubbish. It is now an welcomed event for a drama to be announced, maybe I'm getting old but there is always Youtube for this rubbish. At a clink of a button we can view all the reality you require from film critics, ufoes and d.i.y the list goes on. Why don't the tv companies produce more drama I'm sure that there are a lot of talented people out there that could make television interesting again. Again why are the companies still investing in these reality shows who I'm convinced only morons watch at the best of times. Thanks for letting me have this wee rant.

It's inexpensive. Point your camera at a couple of girls in bikinis, set up an obstacle-course competition, and call it a show. It's a cheap way to fill a 30-minute time slot.

The audience has become fragmented across hundreds of cable & satellite channels, where there were only a handful of channels before. With advertising revenue tied to a channel's (small) audience, the channel can only afford to buy the cheapest possible programming to fill the airtime.

Comment

As above. It's the cheapest type of programming.

Comment

Originally posted by tv horror View Post
        Again why are the companies still investing in these reality shows who I'm convinced only morons watch at the best of times.
        Probably because 70% of the population are morons.

Comment

I agree with the posts above yet how much is it to send a celebrity on an all expenses paid trip to pander to their hobbies interests? Are the viewing figures any better percentage wise for say Talking Pictures than peak time BBC? I've came across clips from old US shows and all the comments agree that todays TV is rubbish, also why do they not make shows like this anymore. No, I'm tired of millionaires being catered too on my dime as the Americans say, we want more.

Comment

It's inexpensive. Point your camera at a couple of girls in bikinis, set up an obstacle-course competition, and call it a show. It's a cheap way to fill a 30-minute time slot.

The audience has become fragmented across hundreds of cable & satellite channels, where there were only a handful of channels before. With advertising revenue tied to a channel's (small) audience, the channel can only afford to buy the cheapest possible programming to fill the airtime.
            Correct. But the twist on modern 'reality TV' is that they are not all that real. Made in Chelsea is essence semi scripted drama (I only see the trailers, which are full of posh people being stroppy at each other). Dont Tell the Bride (which used to be a semi decent show on BBC3) is frankly shark jumping on E4 - the various situations are evidently there for dramatic effect, and obviously are not thought up by the participants. And so on. Most reality TV is crud, but its cheap crud.

I'm fairly sick of the set up shows, and mostly avoided 'reality TV' anyway. I certainly cannot be bothered with most of the higher level stuff - I stopped watching The Apprentice some years ago, and pretty much anything with a long pause before an announcement is to be avoided, aside from Bakeoff.

Barb will give you the figures for each broadcaster, although genre is a bit vague. But if something can get enough viewers each week, considering its production costs and its ad revenue, then its a go. Actual drama is relatively expensive to make, so you can see why ITV2, etc use the format a lot. Looking at those Barb figures, you can see why programming has to be cheap - those viewing figures are often tiny.

On the other hand, people doing real things are always interesting, which is why you can always make a programme about airports, the police or hospitals. I'm not sure that GP:Behind Closed Doors (a slightly dramatic title), 24 Hours in A & E, 999 - Whats Your Emergency? or 24 Hours in Police Custody are 'reality TV' as such, but they are actually very good. The one about surgery on BBC2 currently is scary, but fascinating.

Comment

People like watching other people in non-scripted TV shows because fictional scripted TV shows are so FAKE. Even Attenborough's "nature shows" are rather fake and VERY manipulated.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
                Probably because 70% of the population are morons.
                Well, I'm not sure about that, but at least 52% are in this country, and if that's what they want to watch there's no point moaning about it.

Profit is the bottom line.

Comment

Well, I'm not sure about that, but at least 52% are in this country
                  51.9% to be exact, plus 28% who can't be bothered to decide if they are morons (or should that be morans?) or not.....

Comment

It can't beat that total, here in Australia-probably 90% of the population can't spell morons, never mind anything else. The so-called reality show is just, cheap-mindless "entertainment" which demeans the idiots who take part. The contestants 15 mins of fame is 16 mins too long, but hey, as long as their friends, relatives etc can see them making asses of themselves on the box-why not?

Comment

Why are they still making reality television?
                      Because it's cheap to make and they have to fill up this plethora of channels with something

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
                        People like watching other people in non-scripted TV shows because fictional scripted TV shows are so FAKE. Even Attenborough's "nature shows" are rather fake and VERY manipulated.
                        I'm interested to know what you perceive to be ''fake'' in David Attenborough's documentaries, and can you please give an example of what you mean by "manipulated"?

Comment

https://www.google.com.au/search?cli....0.uN10zd-lbvA

Comment

Wasn't Walt Disney accused of fakery in his wild life films? Animals 'dancing' together etc?

Comment

https://www.google.com.au/search?cli...F47r8wfw6LmYBQ

Disney tells us that lemmings like to suicide.

Disney photographs two animals in two different locations, splices the footage together and claims there are emotional connections between the two.

Comment

Working...
                              X