Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Why are they still making reality television?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

Ah! I always thought it was 'tw*ts'.
    That's what we can call them, but Twits fits in with Twitter better. It isn't Twatter

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Faginsgirl View Post
      I don't mind reality t.v if it is informative for the viewer, i.e 'Come dine with me' (some of the recipies are quite good!). But most of it is junk, especially that farce in the jungle! you have got to be desperate to go onto that surely? I've never seen the only way is Essex and nor do I want to. I'm sure these people get recognise wherever they go but I wouldn't know them! It seems you don't have to have a talent to be famous these days, so celebrity doesn't interest me.

Another thing, I'd be more than embarrassed if a son or daughter of mine ended up on one of these rubbish shows and then called themselves 'a celebrity'! A lot of these programmes are crude to say the least and make fools out of the contestants for the viewing figures.
      One of my nephews and his (then) wife appeared on one of those home improvement programmes and I was too embarrassed to watch. My mother (his grandmother) did watch and her observations are unrepeatable.

Comment

But most of it is junk, especially that farce in the jungle! you have got to be desperate to go onto that surely?
        Rather than calling it "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!"
        I refer to it as "I'm a nonentity, desparate for publicity ... Get Me In There!"

Steve

Comment

But most of it is junk, especially that farce in the jungle!
          Believe it or not but the jungle is not real at all,It is Springbrook National Park.

Which is a pity because they all could get eaten up by the animals

Comment

I like those 'Unscripted Television' shows like 'Big Brother' and 'Britain's Got Talent' where the audience decides the outcome.

It is democratic.

Comment

Isn't the fact that the TV companies are making these so called celebrities and taking us for idiots. Late night TV is now the home of drama's many of which are repeats but still better than peaktime vieving. How can the public change anything?

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

Wrong, on two counts. Firstly: appearing on a Reality TV show does not qualify as 'acting'.

Secondly: acting can be very hard demanding work. Try it yourself sometime.
                I do have sympathy for proffessional actors. The space so called reality t.v takes up could go towards more drama and get them work. It must be so frustrating.

Comment

The space so called reality t.v takes up could go towards more drama and get them work
                  Drama is actually pretty expensive to make, and period drama even more so. The good news is that TV companies are willing to invest in it, and there is a lot of great drama at the moment. However, its a business, and reality TV is cheaper to make, possibly less risky, can often be 'stretched' to fill a full series or two, puts bums on seats, and the format is often lucrative. Hence its popularity

Actually a lot of 'reality' TV is anything but unscripted, there might be a fair amount of mugging it up for the camera, and editing is used to make it more perhaps than it originally was - in many ways some of the people on things like Made in Chelsea are essentially acting for the camera, but dont have an Equity card.

Comment

I don't know why people persist in using this pejorative misnomer of an expression 'Reality TV' instead of 'Unscripted TV'.

I could just as easily describe all scripted television programs as "Fake TV". Because they are.
                    Last edited by jamal.nazreddin; 30th January 2018, 05:22 AM.

Comment

I don't know why people persist in using this pejorative misnomer of an expression 'Reality TV' instead of 'Unscripted TV'
                      I really dont care what its called, but since the thread uses that phrase, I'm sticking with it. Frankly, who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
                        Actually a lot of 'reality' TV is anything but unscripted, there might be a fair amount of mugging it up for the camera, and editing is used to make it more perhaps than it originally was
                        Very true. The term "unscripted TV" is as much a misnomer as "reality TV". Perhaps "fake reality TV" would be more appropriate.

Some are more obviously scripted than others. The American show "Mystery Diners" surely must be the most blatantly staged of them all. The script is not even varied. The aggrieved employers all act out the same reactions and deliver the same lines, just slightly altered to suit each situation.

Comment

I must admit to quite liking 'Mystery Diners' - edited to an inch of its life, dramafied to the max, but a guilty pleasure, none the less. And still better than Gordon Ramsey shouting at people.

Comment

Working...
                          X