Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Ever fallen for fake news?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever fallen for fake news?

I'm 99.9% sure I haven't, as I generally avoid social media and only read sites like Guardian and BBC, but as anyone ever read something and only found out it was complete nonsense several days or weeks later?

Originally posted by chillout View Post
    I'm 99.9% sure I haven't, as I generally avoid social media and only read sites like Guardian and BBC, but as anyone ever read something and only found out it was complete nonsense several days or weeks later?
    I heard all of the nonsese quoted about Brexit - but luckily I didn't believe any of it so I still voted to remain

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

I heard all of the nonsese quoted about Brexit - but luckily I didn't believe any of it so I still voted to remain

Steve
      Agreed. Millions of people were fooled by that slogan on the side of the Brexit Bus though. They found out soon enough that it was a load of ****ocks.

The perfect example of Fake News.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

Agreed. Millions of people were fooled by that slogan on the side of the Brexit Bus though. They found out soon enough that it was a load of ****ocks.

I blame Boris & Nigel - they were both misled or they just lied
        Then loads of other people went along with the nonsense

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

I blame Boris & Nigel - they were both misled or they just lied
          Then loads of other people went along with the nonsense

Steve

I know which option my money's on.

Comment

Some time ago, there was a fakey doing the rounds that Charles Manson had died (long before he actually did). Of course, I pounced on it and posted it in a few places then, red-faced, had to retract.

Comment

I did almost enjoy the irony of the Defence Minister telling the British press to fight against 'fake news.

Considering the amount of 'fake news' the Sun, the Mail and Express put out each day, you would think the rest of the world would be taking notes on how to do it.

A third of voters believed the £350m figure, and acted accordingly. And hardly any leavers are willing to change their minds, even after the shambles of the last two years (listening to David Davies alone this week wants to make you cry).

Twain apparently said that it's much easier to fool someone than convince them they have been fooled. Fake News is just that, but on steroids.

Comment

Fake news spread like wildfire around Australia in 1993, when a 'test run' of the Queen Mother's obituary was seen and believed by an Australian video-tape editor working for Sky News in London. Apparently he phoned his mother in Australia, she promptly phoned her local radio station and within half an hour the death was being announced on TV and radio all across the country. People were crying and carrying on.

The Aussie got the sack.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
                  Fake news spread like wildfire around Australia in 1993, when a 'test run' of the Queen Mother's obituary was seen and believed by an Australian video-tape editor working for Sky News in London. Apparently he phoned his mother in Australia, she promptly phoned her local radio station and within half an hour the death was being announced on TV and radio all across the country. People were crying and carrying on.

The Aussie got the sack.
                  Someone working for Sky News got sacked? Oh dear, how sad

I never believe anything printed in any newspaper, except maybe the date - and I double check that with other sources

Steve

Comment

I'm not sure if an April Fools' Day hoax qualifies as fake news, but I fell for one (briefly) way back in 1975, when a journalist on a current affairs programme presented a report about how the Sydney Opera House was slowly sinking into the harbour. The building was only two years old at that time, so when ''experts'' were interviewed and gave detailed, technical explanations and scuba divers were filmed ''inspecting the foundations'', it was very convincing. I was watching the show with Mum, and both of us were stunned and horrified. It wasn't until the journalist said that audiences would be issued with life jackets at future performances that we twigged.

Comment

One of the best April Fools gags done here in the UK was when respected broadcaster Richard Dimbleby fronted an episode of respected BBC documentary series Panorama about the Italian spaghetti harvest being gathered from the spaghetti trees

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti-tree_hoax

Steve

Comment

I recall being intrigued as a kid when my dad told me that many years earlier an Amereican radio drama adaptation of The War Of The Worlds, narrated by Orson Welles, had been so convincing that it caused panic because listeners believed it to be real life breaking news being broadcast live.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

Millions of people were fooled by that slogan on the side of the Brexit Bus though. They found out soon enough that it was a load of ****ocks.

I'd say rather a perfect example of thick, gullible voters.

Anyone with a brain has surely been around the block enough times to know that politicians of all persuasions are masters of the weasel words. They can and do slither, backtrack, hair-split and somersault their way out of every supposed "promise" by taking things literally and bodyswerving through the unwritten gaps.

So I blame the knee-jerk naivety of the electrorate for taking that deliberately misleading bus slogan at face value. I might be wrong but from memory it never directly claimed that any (debateable) figure saved by leaving the EU would definitely be directly re-routed into the NHS. More a case of "What if" we could channel money contributed as part of our controversial EU membership into other, more popular, areas? Not unreasonable, you would think, to interpret "Let's fund our NHS instead" as a tacit assurance that that's what would actually transpire. But for God's sake we are talking about 21st Century politicians in a febrile election here! they'll stoop to anything!

I don't remember ANY politician being pinned down into categorically saying that money supposedly saved WOULD (rather than could) be diverted straight into the Health Service. If anyone did claim that, I never heard them. I would have taken it with a bucket of salt even if I had. You have to watch the bastards like a hawk. The Tories in particular are dab hands at using the devil in the detail to wriggle out of such things. It wasn't really "news" - fake or otherwise - they just conned a significant proportion of the electorate by cynically tapping into a prevalent gut feeling and enough people were ready and willing to swallow it.

Comment

The £350m a week was just vague and aspirational enough to grab the attention of people who wanted to believe it - and they filled in the gaps. They wanted to be lied to, because it comforted them and confirmed their gut instincts.

Fake News seems now to be used as a shield against things you don't like. I was depressed to see in a recent poll that perhaps 40% of Republican voters in the US will reject a news report, simply because it might be negative about a cause or person they like. It does matter at all whether it might be true, or how much evidence there is - if they dont like it, its simply not real.

At some point that breaks down, but you can get pretty far if you are willing to have blinkers. We create our own realities, and as long as you live in a bubble,or are willing to seize one by looking at clickable and believing it, then it's very difficult to change people. That's why fake news is so powerful - it's a drug.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
                              I did almost enjoy the irony of the Defence Minister telling the British press to fight against 'fake news.

Considering the amount of 'fake news' the Sun, the Mail and Express put out each day, you would think the rest of the world would be taking notes on how to do it.

A third of voters believed the £350m figure, and acted accordingly. And hardly any leavers are willing to change their minds, even after the shambles of the last two years (listening to David Davies alone this week wants to make you cry).

Twain apparently said that it's much easier to fool someone than convince them they have been fooled. Fake News is just that, but on steroids.
                              While remainers quickly jumped on the £350 million figure, it should be pointed out that we haven't actually left the EU yet so of course we haven't got that money to spend now! until the EU has finished screwing us out of every last bit of cash it can lay it's grubby hands on until we actually leave.

For those with short memories or not born then, it should also be pointed out that in the 1970s when we were 'the sick man of Europe' in a desperate state (and had to borrow money from the IMF), we were the third poorest nation in the EU and the EU was quite happy to take from us the third highest contribution until Thatcher got in and went over there and kicked their arses.
                              Also now quietly forgotten is the fact that while Ireland's farmers (as the poorest nation) were told to fill their boots (and good luck to them) in the UK farmers and fishermen were told to cut production so consequently many went to the wall and some committed suicide. In 1973 a lamb chop cost 60p in the UK and £2.50 in France..by 1976 many ordinary UK households could not afford meat at all and chicken was actually a luxury ..go figure.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2294369/reference

Last edited by Bert Quark; 4th May 2018, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X