Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

That wedding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That wedding

It seems that the news are reporting that Meghan's Dad won't be coming to walk his daughter up the aisle.

But he never was really. No brides ever walk up the aisle.

The aisles in a church are the passages to either side of the church, not the nave which is the central passageway

Click image for larger version  Name:	330px-Seitenschiff.svg.png Views:	1 Size:	20.0 KB ID:	57260

The aisles in this diagram are shown in pink(ish)

Steve

Presumably it was arranged for this Saturday so that Prince William won't have to watch that turgid match between Man Utd and Chelski.
    as i am in Rome i won't be watching either

Comment

Wedding?

Comment

What about all the other weddings in England on Saturday? Oh, silly me, I forgot, money talks

Comment

Originally posted by CliveT View Post
          What about all the other weddings in England on Saturday? Oh, silly me, I forgot, money talks
          My point in starting this thread was actually about the silliness of saying that anyone walks down the aisle, when they don’t walk down either aisle. Rather than being about the ceremony itself.

But that’s what happens when a wrong phrase enters the common parlance.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
            My point in starting this thread was actually about the silliness of saying that anyone walks down the aisle, when they don’t walk down either aisle. Rather than being about the ceremony itself.

But that’s what happens when a wrong phrase enters the common parlance.

Steve
            You labelled the thread "That wedding" so it's bound to start a discussion about ''that wedding''.

I see your point, but if you can call it a central ''passageway'', surely you can call it an ''aisle''?

I tend to say "up" the aisle, but then, I'm ''down under''.

Comment

Heavens Above, We're all a bit 'niave"

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
                I see your point, but if you can call it a central ''passageway'', surely you can call it an ''aisle''?
                But why call things what is the blatently wrong name when there is a perfectly good name available.

Goodness, you'd think that nobody knows anything about church architecture!
                Did nobody else complete the "Eye Spy Book of Churches"?

Steve

Comment

"I'm going to walk my daughter up the aisle", is just a generic term really, like when I say 'our boys', it includes our girls of course, whom I believe can now serve on the front-line also, brave persons all.......

Really it should be "I'm going walk my daughter along the nave", but it sounds rather corny and unfitting......

Correct me if I'm wrong,but surely one walks 'along' a flat surface, rather than up or down one......

I'm wondering if they will be called by their actual names, Henry and Rachel, when they tie the knot.....

I'm full of excitement for tomorrow, so excited I probably will not sleep much !....., I've read Sky News will broadcast in 'ultra' HD, my little plastic Union flags with a pic of the happy couple in the middle are attached to my front window .........

Unfortunately Meghan's Daddy is unable to attend, due to surgery, but her Mummy, Doria, will give her away, it is thought, though not certain.......

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post
                    "I'm going to walk my daughter up the aisle", is just a generic term really, like when I say 'our boys', it includes our girls of course, whom I believe can now serve on the front-line also, brave persons all.......
                    It shouldn't be a matter of belief. Women have served on the front-line for years

If it is a generic term, then it's a particularly silly & incorrect one.

Really it should be "I'm going walk my daughter along the nave", but it sounds rather corny and unfitting......
                    Why? It sounds perfectly correct to me, and to anyone else who knows anything about church architecture

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                      It shouldn't be a matter of belief. Women have served on the front-line for years

If it is a generic term, then it's a particularly silly & incorrect one.

Why? It sounds perfectly correct to me, and to anyone else who knows anything about church architecture

Steve

Not in Iraq and Afghanistan they didn't, not because there weren't volunteers, but deemed too dangerous for a lady Soldier.......

The Sun has always prided itself on being 'the paper that supports our boys', well it did in the Falklands Conflict.......

Back to 'that' wedding, Prince Charles is now walking Meghan along the err.....'Nave'.......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ma-behind.html
                      Last edited by Mark O; 18th May 2018, 10:39 AM. Reason: addition of an extra letter o on 'to'

Comment

Not in Iraq and Afghanistan they didn't,
                        Are you sure about that Mark?

Originally posted by Mark O
                        The Sun has always prided itself on being 'the paper that supports our boys', well it did in the Falklands Conflict.......
                        Another of your famous non-sequiturs Mark. What on earth has The Sun got to do with anything?

Comment

Back to 'that' wedding, Prince Charles is now walking Meghan along the err.....'Nave'.......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ma-behind.html
                          What has the Daily Mail got to do with anything?
                          I never beleive a word they print, I even double check the date against a more reliable source

Steve

Comment

Would rather watch The L-Shaped Room, five times over, than this guff tomorrow.

Comment

Not in Iraq and Afghanistan they didn't, not because there weren't volunteers, but deemed too dangerous for a lady Soldier.......
                              Oh really?

The Telegraph: Big day for 5ft Army medic who won MC [Iraq]
                              The Telegraph: First Royal Navy female awarded Military Cross for Afghanistan bravery

Wikipedia: Category:Female recipients of the Military Cross - 2 x Afghan, 1 x Iraq
                              Last edited by Nick Cooper; 18th May 2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X