Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Overseas archives for British film Censorship / Ratings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overseas archives for British film Censorship / Ratings

Does anyone know of official sites for original ratings / censorship of old British films.

I've got USA (Production Code documents), Britain (BBFC), Australia (National Archives) and New Zealand (National Archives) - but can't find anything for France, Italy or Germany.

Any help appreciated.

Tony

I'm sure you'll have scoured the net for any official body regarding censorship in France, Italy and Germany?

Would film industry publications from these different countries give some indication?

Would French, Italian and German Wikepedia have such information?

I take it that there would be official organizations in these countries who rated movies on their content?

Comment

It's strange that some of the official sites don't even have a database of films they have certified - I'm hoping for someone familiar with how these counties keep track.

Comment

Tony

When it come to archiving film and TV material, or just about anything, the English speaking countries appear to be far more efficient and willing to do this and make it accessible..

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony McKay View Post
          Does anyone know of official sites for original ratings / censorship of old British films.

I've got USA (Production Code documents), Britain (BBFC), Australia (National Archives) and New Zealand (National Archives) - but can't find anything for France, Italy or Germany.

Any help appreciated.
          Try David Quinlan's British Sound Films 1929-1959 which gives the category U A X or H for British films for those years.

Comment

France: contact either the Ministry of Culture, as all films (regardless of nationality) destined for theatrical release needed a visa, which this government department issued, or Commission de Classification Cinématographique, the body that recommended whether a visa should be granted in the first place.

Germany & Italy are more problematic, due to fascist governments and WWII, which disrupted both countries (and of course resulted in Germany being split) and resulted in many records being destroyed. Post-1945 West Germany & post-unification: Spitzenorganisation der Filmwirtschaft, who are based in Wiesbaden. Italy post 1949 Ministry of Culture.

Last edited by agutterfan; 15th October 2018, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
              France: contact either the Ministry of Culture, as all films (regardless of nationality) destined for theatrical release needed a visa, which this government department issued, or Commission de Classification Cinématographique, the body that recommended whether a visa should be granted in the first place.

Germany & Italy are more problematic, due to fascist governments and WWII, which disrupted both countries (and of course resulted in Germany being split) and resulted in many records being destroyed. Post-1945 West Germany & post-unification: Spitzenorganisation der Filmwirtscaft, who are based in Wiesbaden. Italy post 1949 Ministry of Culture.

That's very invaluable information Agutterfan, thank you for posting.

Comment

Working...
              X