Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Pot holes on U.S. and Canadian streets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pot holes on U.S. and Canadian streets

    Just returned from Germany. Rented a car, drove on the autobahn and other streets in Germany and saw no pot holes. Yet in Canada and the U.S.A, plenty of pot holes to be found. Particulary in the springtime, when the winter ends. Europeans do a much better job in maintaining their motorways.

  • #2
    Potholes are bad in Oz, too. They get ''fixed'' then the next time it rains, they're back. Pathetic.
    Western Europeans have higher standards in many ways.

    Comment


    • #3
      Not in the UK as councils are reluctant to spend the money.

      Nick

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Nick Dando View Post
        Not in the UK as councils are reluctant to spend the money.

        Nick
        Agree about the potholes, but not necessarily the fault of the local councils. Savage cutbacks on money to local authorities from government, and caps on the council tax they can levy are the main culprits.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by narabdela View Post

          Agree about the potholes, but not necessarily the fault of the local councils. Savage cutbacks on money to local authorities from government, and caps on the council tax they can levy are the main culprits.
          And particularly in Australia, local government is responsible for road maintenance while state governments continue to change regulations allowing larger and larger heavy haulage vehicles on the roads without any compensation to local councils for road maintenance.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
            Potholes are bad in Oz, too. They get ''fixed'' then the next time it rains, they're back. Pathetic.
            Western Europeans have higher standards in many ways.
            Not round our way!

            Comment


            • #7
              I was thinking of countries like Holland, Belgium, France, Germany etc.

              Comment


              • #8
                Here in Canada and the U.S.A, cities, towns, comunities, ask for bids. Who ever bids the lowest amount will get the contract to maintain the roads and motorways. A well known fact, you get what you pay for. Germany, and some other European countries prefere to spend more money to keep their roads in better shape.

                Comment

                Working...
                X