Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Church scandals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church scandals

Over the years, scandals in the catholic church have taken place. Coverups, financial scandals, all the way to the Vatican, scandals about clergy abusing young boys. I am not a catholic. I was brought up in the Anglican church. As for the Anglicans, their has been many incidents in my church,protecting abusive clergy.As far as I can determine, the vast majority of catholic clergy do a good job practicing their religeon. Unfortunately, bad apples, are around. I just heard about, on the news, a catholic clergy member, has received a year sentence in Australia, for protecting abusive priests.

Originally posted by Eric7885 View Post
    I just heard about, on the news, a catholic clergy member, has received a year sentence in Australia, for protecting abusive priests.
    A bit more than just a "clergy member', he is the Archbishop of Adelaide. Looks like the sentence won't be custodial, probably served as home detention.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric7885 View Post
      Over the years, scandals in the catholic church have taken place. Coverups, financial scandals, all the way to the Vatican, scandals about clergy abusing young boys. I am not a catholic. I was brought up in the Anglican church. As for the Anglicans, their has been many incidents in my church,protecting abusive clergy.As far as I can determine, the vast majority of catholic clergy do a good job practicing their religeon. Unfortunately, bad apples, are around. I just heard about, on the news, a catholic clergy member, has received a year sentence in Australia, for protecting abusive priests.
      Sadly, it's nothing new. There always have been adults in positions of trust who have then abused that trust. It's not just the Catholic (or any other) church.

Steve

Comment

Vicars and choirboy scandals. Scoutmasters and scouts. Sadly, it was ever thus.

Comment

In the 1963 film HEAVENS ABOVE, there is a scene in the bishop's palace beteen two senior clergy .....

One says to the other 'If only the boy scouts had never been invented !'

Scandals involving clergy/pastors and the like have been around a long time, but in the past most were hushed up and kept out of the press..
          Last edited by julian_craster; 4th July 2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arthur linden-jones View Post

A bit more than just a "clergy member', he is the Archbishop of Adelaide. Looks like the sentence won't be custodial, probably served as home detention.
            He should just resign & do everybody a favour!

Comment

Originally posted by julian_craster View Post

Scandals involving clergy/pastors and the like have been around a long time, but in the past most were hushed up and kept out of the press..
              And the ones who hushed them up, such as the Archbishop of Adelaide, are the ones who now are being held to account.

Comment

Working...
              X