Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Church scandals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church scandals

Over the years, scandals in the catholic church have taken place. Coverups, financial scandals, all the way to the Vatican, scandals about clergy abusing young boys. I am not a catholic. I was brought up in the Anglican church. As for the Anglicans, their has been many incidents in my church,protecting abusive clergy.As far as I can determine, the vast majority of catholic clergy do a good job practicing their religeon. Unfortunately, bad apples, are around. I just heard about, on the news, a catholic clergy member, has received a year sentence in Australia, for protecting abusive priests.

Originally posted by Eric7885 View Post
    I just heard about, on the news, a catholic clergy member, has received a year sentence in Australia, for protecting abusive priests.
    A bit more than just a "clergy member', he is the Archbishop of Adelaide. Looks like the sentence won't be custodial, probably served as home detention.

Comment

Over the years, scandals in the catholic church have taken place. Coverups, financial scandals, all the way to the Vatican, scandals about clergy abusing young boys. I am not a catholic. I was brought up in the Anglican church. As for the Anglicans, their has been many incidents in my church,protecting abusive clergy.As far as I can determine, the vast majority of catholic clergy do a good job practicing their religeon. Unfortunately, bad apples, are around. I just heard about, on the news, a catholic clergy member, has received a year sentence in Australia, for protecting abusive priests.
      Sadly, it's nothing new. There always have been adults in positions of trust who have then abused that trust. It's not just the Catholic (or any other) church.

Steve

Comment

Vicars and choirboy scandals. Scoutmasters and scouts. Sadly, it was ever thus.

Comment

In the 1963 film HEAVENS ABOVE, there is a scene in the bishop's palace beteen two senior clergy .....

One says to the other 'If only the boy scouts had never been invented !'

Scandals involving clergy/pastors and the like have been around a long time, but in the past most were hushed up and kept out of the press..
          Last edited by julian_craster; 4th July 2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arthur linden-jones View Post

A bit more than just a "clergy member', he is the Archbishop of Adelaide. Looks like the sentence won't be custodial, probably served as home detention.
            He should just resign & do everybody a favour!

Comment

Originally posted by julian_craster View Post

Scandals involving clergy/pastors and the like have been around a long time, but in the past most were hushed up and kept out of the press..
              And the ones who hushed them up, such as the Archbishop of Adelaide, are the ones who now are being held to account.

Comment

Does it ever end ? This time it’s in Pennsylvania. The Catholic Church has protected around 300 priests, over the years, concerning charges of priests molesting young boys.

Comment

Does it ever end ? This time it’s in Pennsylvania. The Catholic Church has protected around 300 priests, over the years, concerning charges of priests molesting young boys.
                  No it will never end. What we've seen so far is probably just the tip of the iceberg. And think of past generations and the number paedophiles who have gone to the grave without ever having been brought to justice. The Catholic Church is a magnet for these sick bastards. And even the Vatican has protected them. It's horrendous. The worst type of hypocrisy imaginable.

Comment

I, understand, from the news, that Philip Wilson, Archbishop of Adelaide will not be going to prison. He will spend his time, doing his so called pennance, behind church walls. I would not be surprised if the Vatican has him transferred to Rome, and end up, protected by the Vatican, living in Rome. One such case, years ago, was Cardinal Bernard Law, of Boston. Massachusetts. The church wonders why so many Catholics abandons the church altogether.

Comment

I, understand, from the news, that Philip Wilson, Archbishop of Adelaide will not be going to prison. He will spend his time, doing his so called pennance, behind church walls. I would not be surprised if the Vatican has him transferred to Rome, and end up, protected by the Vatican, living in Rome. One such case, years ago, was Cardinal Bernard Law, of Boston. Massachusetts. The church wonders why so many Catholics abandons the church altogether.
                      Odious though Law's behaviours was, he didn't break any law, at least not one that was on the statute at the time. Wilson was convicted and sentenced. I can fully understand the view that Law got off on a technicality. More of a concern is the attitude of the Church, which surely has a moral responsibility irrespective of the legal position.

Comment

Wilson will spend six months detention at his sister's home!

Comment

One good thing I would like comment about the Catholic Church, the nuns that run the schools. The nuns are good teachers. They will make you learn. A parochial education is a plus when you submit a job application. Many non catholic family’s have sent their children to their schools for education.

Comment

In Ireland, the Catholic Church is not doing too well, these days, many parish churches have closed down. The church is having problems getting young girls into the convents to become nuns, also, problems trying to get young men into the seminary to become priests. Due to large payouts to victims of clergy abuse, especially in the Dublin area, the church has had to sell property and closed down churches. Many young Irish simply have lost faith in the church, altogether. In England, the Church of England is going through the same problem. Concerning, Pennsylvania, 6 more diocese have been implicated.

Comment

... Many young Irish simply have lost faith in the church, altogether. In England, the Church of England is going through the same problem
                              and if you don't have faith, what good is any church?

Apart from many of them being some nice architecture. But that's really unrelated to the topic.

Except ... I was in Salisbury when they were working on the Spire (the tallest spire in England) and I was impressed by the detail of the stone-work they had taken down from near the top of it.
                              Nobody could see that from the ground, but some stone-mason back in the dim and distant had put the work in to do some very detailed work, just for the greater glory

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X