Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Tories imploding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tories imploding

This isn't intended as a particularly political post, more that it's fun to see any political party imploding, what with Brexit Bulldog (see Dead Ringers on BBC Radio4) David Davis resigning yesterday and Boris "useless" Johnson resigning today. That's two of the useless tw*ts gone, Who's next?

Steve

I wish Michael Gove would resign as soon as possible....

Comment

So who will meet Trump when he arrives.Not bonkers Borris,and maybe not even a prime minister if we have one.

We're all doomed.

Comment

PS it's my Kindle that makes the errors,so don't blame me.

Comment

It couldn't happen to a more deserving crowd of people.

Comment

What's so depressing is that they are resigning over a meaningless nonsensical document, that has no basis in reality, but is simply slightly less delusional their their previous position. And they should have been sacked a long time ago, in Davis's case simple incompetence (The Irish at the EU call him the tea boy, because Olly Robbins, a civil servant, is really running the negotiations), and as for Johnson, where to begin?

The Tories have been at war for two years or more, over a fantasy. And reality is really starting to hit home, although they are trying their best to pretend otherwise. When the party of business is accusing Jaguar, etc of being 'disloyal and even 'traitors'(check out the comments in the Daily Mail), you know things are screwed up (btw, Jeremy Hunt is the FS - what joy!) And when the Conservative and Unionist Party is willing to jettison Gibraltar, let Northern Ireland wander off in order to avoid the hassle of dealing with the Irish Border, and fine with Scotland becoming independent (because you would, wouldn't you?), you know it's a cult.

The bizarre reality is that most Tory MP's know this is nuts, and that any kind of Brexit is insane. Yet a overwhelming need to stay together, to stay in power, and through sheer fear of their voters and the Daily Mail leads them to delude themselves. Nicky Morgan told C4 tonight that the Tories are all United, and that she is happy with the White Paper. That's a lie. She knows it's nonsense.

In any sane world, the Tory government should fall. It's should have fallen years ago. But since Emily Thornberry said tonight that they were going to make Brexit work, by having a close relationship with the EU will stopping freedom of movement, they are just as split and in many cases, just as deluded.

Leave lied, used xenophobia, and was a ragbag for every sort of fantasy and grudge. Brexit was always going to be a disaster, because it was built on a fantasy that simply is unworkable in the modern world. Add to that the impossibility of not breaking the Good Friday Agreement and leaving the Single Market, etc, and it was always a nightmare.

But May actually made it worse. Her 'red lines' were there to grab the hardest of her party. In essence, it was government by Daily Mail. And she deluded herself that the EU was going to 'negotiate. Davis still believes this, and she still thinks that by going to individual leaders, she can convince them to do a deal. As everyone in the EU and all their leaders have been very clear from the start - if you want to leave, fine. Pay your obligations, chose what model of interaction you want, and don't mess up the GFA.

Being both deluded and stupid, we (And that's the media as well as the government) didn't get it, and have wasted two years pretending that we are special. And we are about to get hit by the blast from Brexit, which will hit fully on the 29th March 2019. It's a bomb, and everyone will get hurt.

Put it this way - at 11pm that day, every single airport will no longer certified as safe for anyone outside the UK. EASA certifies the airport, the radar, the maintainence (including all the spares, which is one of Airbuses problems), the aircraft, the pilots and their certification to fly. No EU jurisdiction means no EASA, and that's it's - Heathrow is closed to international traffic. This is the sort of thing that happens in third world countries during wars. Not third party countries in the G7.

At worst, the Tory Party will decide to go off the cliff like Thelma and Louise, and just drop out totally. It will please the hardliners, and the Telegraph. But the UK will be inviting Armaggeddon - we will look forward to the weekly ration, where the highlight will be economy cat food, no doubt renamed 'Victory Meat'.

Frankly, there is no good options, other than just saying enough. Kill Brexit. If that happens by the fall of the government, so be it. The Brexitiers are lying to themselves, and certainly to everyone else. Even many leavers, such as Richard North, are appalled by this mess.

I have just realised that this is a very long post. Frankly, I have been bottling this up for a while, and I am incredibly angry at what's happening. There are possible alternatives, but they are slipping away. We need to take them before it's too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
              This isn't intended as a particularly political post, more that it's fun to see any political party imploding, what with Brexit Bulldog (see Dead Ringers on BBC Radio4) David Davis resigning yesterday and Boris "useless" Johnson resigning today. That's two of the useless tw*ts gone, Who's next?

Steve
              It does sound like a political post

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post

It does sound like a political post
                Despite my saying “This isn’t intended as a particularly political post” and then saying “it’s fun to see any political party imploding”. Political posts tend to be about just one party, pro or con.

There’s no pleasing some people

Steve

Comment

Seems a long winded way of saying "I voted stay and expected to win, lost the vote so now the sky is going to fall in" Chicken Little politics. It's not very clever just to blame this Government FOR Brixit as it was voted for by a majority. It was always going to be "The Vessel With The Pestle" and there is no "Flagon With The Dragon" That's why Cameron did the offski. They are not going to reverse the ballot so we are leaving. It's interesting to read that you want this Government out but you don't say who you think should replace them. Do you presume out the Government no more Brexit?

Comment

Originally posted by Toscana View Post
                    Seems a long winded way of saying "I voted stay and expected to win, lost the vote so now the sky is going to fall in" Chicken Little politics. It's not very clever just to blame this Government FOR Brixit as it was voted for by a majority. It was always going to be "The Vessel With The Pestle" and there is no "Flagon With The Dragon" That's why Cameron did the offski. They are not going to reverse the ballot so we are leaving. It's interesting to read that you want this Government out but you don't say who you think should replace them. Do you presume out the Government no more Brexit?
                    I don’t presume anything and this is nothing to do with whether I agree with the very narrow majority who voted for Brexit or not.

Who do I think should replace the government? Nobody, we’d be better off without any politicians. I think that we should try democracy instead of the “representative democracy” that we’re currently stuck with.

Steve

Comment

I was referring to Bonekickers post. But as you have commented "Very narrow majority" seems to say it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Toscana View Post
                        I was referring to Bonekickers post.
                        You should quote the message that you are referring to, especially when it is so many messages back in the thread

Steve

Comment

• Toscana
                          Toscana commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It was the last message when I started, something more important had to be dealt with.

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Despite my saying “This isn’t intended as a particularly political post” and then saying “it’s fun to see any political party imploding”. Political posts tend to be about just one party, pro or con.

There’s no pleasing some people

Steve
                        It is about one party, you just don't mention them by name. And saying 'this isnt intended as a political post', is a bit like saying 'I don't mean to judge but...".

I assume you mean it isn't a partisan critcism of the Tories

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post

It is about one party, you just don't mention them by name. And saying 'this isnt intended as a political post', is a bit like saying 'I don't mean to judge but...".

I assume you mean it isn't a partisan critcism of the Tories
                          No, I meant what I said, no more, no less. I would be just as happy at any or all political parties imploding. They’re all a waste of time and space

Steve

Comment

Toscana - the FT reports that high level civil servants are drawing up plans to stockpile tinned food and ship back generators from as far away as Afghanistan to put on barges in order to keep the lights on in Northern Ireland, should there be a 'no deal'. Heathrow and every other UK airport will now longer be certified to allow international flights, and neither will their pilots.

Look at the Dept for Leaving the Ex's own reports, or at least the ones that have been leaked, because they don't want to show anyone - ONE scenario is that Dover will pretty much be jammed within a week, and Operation Stack will be over 20 miles long. Medicines will need to be flown in by the RAF, and supermarkets in certain areas will start to run out of food. This is the 'serious scenario. There are apparently worse.

As an economist said on the radio this morning, there is not good Brexit, it's all lose lose. Slightly better than Mad Max isn't really what anyone is looking for, outside those who enjoy rationing and sitting in the dark.This isn't Chicken Little, this is reality.

And the City of London CEO has just been speaking on R4 - the White Paper is pretty much a fantasy of cake, fudge, unicorns, and snowflake magical thinking. They are very worried. Martin Kettle in the Guardian had a great phrase - 'they had the idea of Brexit, bu not a plan for Brexit'. There is no plan, and apparently, it's even more of a mess in government than we thought.

Actually, the majority didn't vote for it, whatever 'it' was supposed to be. 37% voted to leave, 35% to remain, and 28% said nothing at all. And I don't think anyone voted for this mess, although many of us did try to warn you.

The Government are clueless, and have no plan at all. I am saddened that Labour seems no more prepared, although there might some signs of sanity - Keir Starmer was good today. Does anyone who thinks this is going well please speak up, because it's insane and pointless to me.

So come on all you Brexit fans, let's hear how it's going to be great, although I notice you have all been very very quiet recently....

Comment

• Toscana
                              Toscana commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I voted to stay in. 37% voted leave, 35% voted remain you can forget about the 28% they don't count. They had their vote and for whatever reason they didn't use it. We live in a Democracy, we had a Referendum and the majority voted leave, so we leave. That's it! End of! Not best of three, Not, if you don't agree with me you must be stupid! It's a tough job and a thankless job that's going ahead because that's what the vote decided.
                          Working...
                          X