Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Football

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football

Hooray, England are out of the World Cup!

Now maybe they’ll stop messing up the TV and radio schedules, changing everything around to shoehorn footie news or even matches into the schedules.

Now we’ve just got to put up with the incessant tennis, cricket and other distractions & tedium until they’re all over as well.

I appreciate that that these things are fairly popular. But we aren’t all obsessed with them all of the time.

Steve

World Cup is every four years.

England did us proud yesterday and hopefully we will progress further in the future and maybe mess up the TV and radio schedules just for you and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post

England did us proud yesterday and hopefully we will progress further in the future and maybe mess up the TV and radio schedules just for you and the like.
      That’s a nasty thing to wish on anyone - even a non-sports fan

Steve

Comment

England did us proud yesterday...
        Did they, though? Croatia is a country of 4m people and their team were playing their third extra time game in a row. England's younger team from the 'best' league in the world ran out of steam.

The only world class team England faced in the tournament was Belgium and they came out on top. Could this team have defeated a Brazil, Germany or Spain at their peak? That's what they will need to do next time to win a trophy.

The best you can say about this team is they did better than the last one, which is definately signs of improvement, but hard to see how they did us proud.
        Last edited by Paxton Milk; 13th July 2018, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
          Hooray, England are out of the World Cup!

Now maybe they’ll stop messing up the TV and radio schedules, changing everything around to shoehorn footie news or even matches into the schedules.

Now we’ve just got to put up with the incessant tennis, cricket and other distractions & tedium until they’re all over as well.

I appreciate that that these things are fairly popular. But we aren’t all obsessed with them all of the time.

Steve
          Well, I suppose that's busted your chances of recognition in the next New Years Honours List !!

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post

Well, I suppose that's busted your chances of recognition in the next New Years Honours List !!
            Good. But what chance was there?

I would decline it if offered one. Being me is enough of an honour

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post

but hard to see how they did us proud.
              Because there were one game away for making history but now regarding the World Cup they are history

Comment

England were never going to win as they had too many Sp*rs players in the team and they are well known bottelers.
                As for the person who started this thread he might like to know that both BBC and ITV are showing the final on Sunday afternoon.So he can insert a DVD of that silly glue throwing film in his player.That really is more torture than watching England lose

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                  As for the person who started this thread he might like to know that both BBC and ITV are showing the final on Sunday afternoon.So he can insert a DVD of that silly glue throwing film in his player.That really is more torture than watching England lose
                  No, I think I’ll watch a nice cheerful film like Peeping Tom on Sunday afternoon

I now have many of the P&P films on the Virgin PVR

Steve

Comment

Because there were one game away for making history but now regarding the World Cup they are history
                    It's an interesting perspective. Other 'top' countries, Spain, German, Brazil, Argentina etc, as well as those who failed to qualify, like Italy and Holland, will go away knowing they need to change things. They will rip up the blueprints and start again with a view to coming back in 2022 much better. England, on the other hand, are celebrating their victories over a bunch of second tier teams and patting themselves on the back on getting to the semis by not facing any of the top seeds.

They definately exceed expectations but expectations were low, at least as far as the public were concerned. The FA wanted a minium of quarter final, that's the minium acceptable performance, so they went one better.

They didn't actually play particularly well in any of the games, except in the first half against Croatia but even then, they couldn't go on and win the game. Croatia is a small country, with considerably less resources and money than England but they won the game, deservedly. That's the equivalent of Liverpool going out of the FA Cup to Championship side, having beat League 1 teams all the way to the semi final. And then claiming a moral victory because they haven't got that far for yonks.

Take the emotion out of it and your comment 'they did us proud' rings pretty hollow. As always with England, complacency is the enemy. It's hard to believe that they will get such a straightforward route to the final again, and they blew it.

As Alec Fergusson said show me a gallant loser and I'll show you a loser.

Comment

26.5 million people watched the climax of the match on tv,one of the 6 top viewing figures this century.Over 80%of those watching.
                      can i also remind you that Pressberger,whom I think I met,had the good sense to be an Arsenal season ticket holder

Comment

26.5 million people watched the climax of the match on tv,one of the 6 top viewing figures this century.Over 80%of those watching.
                        can i also remind you that Pressberger,whom I think I met,had the good sense to be an Arsenal season ticket holder
                        26.5 million out of 55.6 million isn't 80% of the population, not even 50%.

I'm not reponsible for Emeric Pressburer's addictions

He only started going to watch football as a means of people-watching and listening to help him learn the language as it is spoke

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

26.5 million out of 55.6 million isn't 80% of the population, not even 50%.

You forgot that was just in their own home.Add the fact they were watching in pubs,clubs and on big screens in Hyde Park and other places too would add up to the larger amount.

Comment

You obviously didn't fully read my post as I made it clear "of those watching"..In any event this does not take into account the 4 million or so watching online,which would take it well over 50%.
                            If the person I met was Pressburger in 1976,then I can confirm that he was an enthusiastic supporter and not a disinterested spectator.Again assuming I have met the man my account is first-hand whereas yours are third hand accounts

Comment

You obviously didn't fully read my post as I made it clear "of those watching".
                              well I did read that but you were only talking about 2.65 million people watching, you didn’t say “at home” or anything else. There might well have been others watching on other media. But they weren’t mentioned. I can only go by what you say (write).. I can’t take what you’re thinking of into account.

If the person I met was Pressburger in 1976,then I can confirm that he was an enthusiastic supporter and not a disinterested spectator.Again assuming I have met the man my account is first-hand whereas yours are third hand accounts
                              Third hand? IF ... ASSUMING ... the person you met. It’s all a bit vague. We know that he followed the Arsenal & we know why. What are you arguing about?

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X