Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Football

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

Whenever I record a programme, I set it to start about 3 minutes early and add 4 or 5 minutes to the end when it's ABCTV or SBS, but more when it's a commercial channel, because they are notorious for not sticking to their advertised times. If the programme I want to watch is preceded by a sports event, I add half-an-hour to both ends!
    Alas that doesn't help when the shedules are so messed up by sports events that I see the whole of a 30 minute or even an hour programme being taken up by the over-running sports programmes

Also that although they offer to add a bit for allowing for a live event, they often don't allow that for sports programmes

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

There’s nothing wrong with sounding like Colonel Blimp

I did check the listings before I recorded things, in the Radio Times and in the online listing on my Virgin Tivo system. But so often a sports event over-ran, either football or tennis.

Yes, I’m glad that it’s now all over - until the next load

Steve
      Only 4 years to go until the next one !!

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post

But there's still all of the other sports events, other big soccer matches, cricket, athletics etc., etc., etc. Click image for larger version

Name:	Yawn.gif
Views:	1
Size:	584.5 KB
ID:	59616

Steve

Comment

You know there is such a thing as extra time plus penalties.Aren't you lucky,instead of those boring old programmes you can watch the drama of the penalty shootout.
          i can almost visualise you like Roger Lindsey in the Turkish baths saying " But ......... begins at five.........☺

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
            You know there is such a thing as extra time plus penalties.Aren't you lucky,instead of those boring old programmes you can watch the drama of the penalty shootout.
            i can almost visualise you like Roger Lindsey in the Turkish baths saying " But ......... begins at five.........☺
            Lucky? I think not. I have no interest in sport. It’s all a waste of time and energy. I wish they’d do something useful instead of knocking a ball around and all of that useless running & jumping.

As for Roger Livesey, I think that the expression that you are struggling to remember is “War starts at midnight”

Steve

Comment

I do know the phrase i was merely paraphrasing.44.5 people watched the world cup on bb c tv alone.

So you were one of the few of not the only one in your neighbourhood not watching.
              on the basis of your view on sport if shared by the younger generations they will all ke

Comment

Steve thinks it's all over....it is now! It's Four!
                (...years till the next one)

But on the subject of TV scheduling disruption; next time could be worse than ever. For the first time, The World Cup* will not be held during our Summer. It will commence in November and the final will be on December 18th, right in there amongst the Christmas telly!!!

* Unlike the beautiful Jules Rimet trophy, the current World "Cup" isn't a cup but a statuette, like the Oscar. Brazil got to keep the original trophy after winning it for the third time in 1970. Having won the current version for the third time in 2014, why didn't Germany get to keep it, prompting another new design in time for this year's competition? A minor point but it still annoys me.

Comment

Meanwhile for today's final I believe that the BBC have Guy Mowbray in the commentators chair. One good reason for me watching it on ITV, Give me Jonathon Pearce any day of the week, To me he's much more in the mould of Wolstenhome, Coleman and Barry Davies (about whom the BBC showed a decent documentary recently) and if he were to commentate for the Beeb today then they would be my choice.
                  Agreed - except for reference to Coleman, whom I always found a boring commentator - with too many l-o-n-g spells of nothing beyond simply listing the players' surnames in that stern, clipped voice as the ball moved between them on the pitch.

Most irritating of all to me though is the pompous, po-faced, patronising BBC pundits suddenly wearing suits and ties come the day of the final (they've done this for years now). Who do they think they're impressing? ITV remain suitably cool and normal in smart open-necked shirts, as for all previous games. P*ss off Auntie, trying to hype it up into a serious state occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonch View Post

Agreed - except for reference to Coleman, whom I always found a boring commentator - with too many l-o-n-g spells of nothing beyond simply listing the players' surnames in that stern, clipped voice as the ball moved between them on the pitch.

Most irritating of all to me though is the pompous, po-faced, patronising BBC pundits suddenly wearing suits and ties come the day of the final (they've done this for years now). Who do they think they're impressing? ITV remain suitably cool and normal in smart open-necked shirts, as for all previous games. P*ss off Auntie, trying to hype it up into a serious state occasion.
                    My favourite Coleman comment was when he intoned that "Alan Ball has been invited by the referee to leave the field of play" .Brilliant.

Comment

Sport commentators come up with some stupid language. How about "transitioning the ball down the field"!
                      What's wrong with "kicking" or "manouevring"?

Comment

My favourite Coleman comment was when he intoned that "Alan Ball has been invited by the referee to leave the field of play" .Brilliant.
                        Private Eye used to run a regular column called "Colemanballs" for balls-ups by David Coleman and other sports commentators.

They do talk some rubbish

Steve

Comment

Actually it was for anyone on tv,not just sports commentators.Anyway if you don't watch sports how would you know

Comment

Actually it was for anyone on tv,not just sports commentators.Anyway if you don't watch sports how would you know
                            Because I read the Eye

Steve

Comment

You say PE used to run this column so you don't know what they are like now.Coleman of course has been dead for some time.

Comment

You say PE used to run this column so you don't know what they are like now.Coleman of course has been dead for some time.
                                They still run it as an occasional column even though he's now been brown bread for a while. But there are plenty of other commentators spouting nonsense

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X