Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Jane Fonda

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jane Fonda

She now admits she was wrong. During the Vietnam area she spoke out against America’s role in theVietnam conflict. In many ways this could have been a issue of treason. She came from a family of actors. Her father Henry Fonda was a respected actor, her brother Peter, also an actor. OK actor, Jane, had a successful acting career, penned a book or two, had her own line of cosmetics, made plenty of money over the years. She had another brother, Sean, he tried acting, not successful, eventually, I think he became a war correspondent, I think, he was killed in Vietnam, or disappeared, never to be herd from ever again.

She's obviously lost her marbles then. It was a war that America should never have become involved in, and which in the end, proved fruitless.

Thousands of young Americans lost their lives needlessly..
    Last edited by narabdela; 28th July 2018, 12:36 AM.

Comment

This is misinformation. She did not say she was wrong to go there to protest. She's proud of that. She has apologised (again) for sitting on the side of the Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun.

(Quote): Speaking before the launch of an HBO film on her life, the actress said she was still proud of the trip she made to Vietnam to protest against the war. But she added: “I am just so sorry that I was thoughtless enough to sit down on that gun at that time. The message that sends to the guys that were there and their families, it’s just so horrible for me to think about that.”
      More here:
      Jane Fonda has offered another apology to American veterans for the infamous photograph taken in North Vietnam in 1972 in which she sat on the side of a Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun.Speaking before the launch of an HBO film on her life, the actress said she was still proud of the trip she made to Vi

Comment

• agutterfan
        agutterfan commented
        Editing a comment
        Well done Shirley, spot on. That was indeed what she apologised for, not for being anti-Vietnam war.

Originally posted by Eric7885 View Post
      . OK actor, Jane, had a successful acting career, penned a book or two, had her own line of cosmetics, made plenty of money over the years.
      Jane wrote several books and has put out a collection of exercise videos and yoga videos. She has been an ambassador for L'Oreal cosmetics for a long time, but to the best of my knowledge she has never had her own range of cosmetics. A couple of years ago she launched "her line" of anti-ageing and skincare creams called Bellacelle. Rubbish, no such thing as an 'anti-ageing' cream..... "discover how at 78 she looks half her age and you can look younger, too" sort of thing. It's fraudulent. She's been having cosmetic procedures for years!

She had another brother, Sean, he tried acting, not successful, eventually, I think he became a war correspondent, I think, he was killed in Vietnam, or disappeared, never to be herd from ever again.
      Where did you get this from?

Comment

Isnt that Sean Flynn? As in Errols son? It's like someone put some info into a blender....

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
          Isnt that Sean Flynn? As in Errols son? It's like someone put some info into a blender....

Indeed. I don't know where Eric got his info from, but with the best will in the world, it seems to be the sort of garbled nonsense you see on a lot internet 'news' sources.

Comment

Bit harsh describing her as an "ok actress". She is a double Oscar winner and was excellent in They Shoot Hores, Don't They? (1969) and Klute (1971).

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post
              Bit harsh describing her as an "ok actress". She is a double Oscar winner and was excellent in They Shoot Hores, Don't They? (1969) and Klute (1971).
              is that "Whores" or "Horses"?

Agreed though, an excellent actress. She also looked rather fit in "Barbarella"

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

is that "Whores" or "Horses"?

Agreed though, an excellent actress. She also looked rather fit in "Barbarella"

predictive text is a menace on iPads. That's my story, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric7885 View Post
                  She now admits she was wrong. During the Vietnam area she spoke out against America’s role in theVietnam conflict. In many ways this could have been a issue of treason.

In a 2011 entry at her official website, Fonda explained:
                  It happened on my last day in Hanoi. I was exhausted and an emotional wreck after the 2-week visit ... The translator told me that the soldiers wanted to sing me a song. He translated as they sung. It was a song about the day 'Uncle Ho' declared their country's independence in Hanoi's Ba Dinh Square. I heard these words: 'All men are created equal; they are given certain rights; among these are life, Liberty and Happiness.' These are the words Ho pronounced at the historic ceremony. I began to cry and clap. 'These young men should not be our enemy. They celebrate the same words Americans do.' The soldiers asked me to sing for them in return ... I memorized a song called 'Day Ma Di', written by anti-war South Vietnamese students. I knew I was slaughtering it, but everyone seemed delighted that I was making the attempt. I finished. Everyone was laughing and clapping, including me ... Here is my best, honest recollection of what happened: someone (I don't remember who) led me towards the gun, and I sat down, still laughing, still applauding. It all had nothing to do with where I was sitting. I hardly even thought about where I was sitting. The cameras flashed ... It is possible that it was a set up, that the Vietnamese had it all planned. I will never know. But if they did I can't blame them. The buck stops here. If I was used, I allowed it to happen ... a two-minute lapse of sanity that will haunt me forever ... But the photo exists, delivering its message regardless of what I was doing or feeling. I carry this heavy in my heart. I have apologized numerous times for any pain I may have caused servicemen and their families because of this photograph. It was never my intention to cause harm

Comment

She's very sincere about this. We all make mistakes. When you're a celebrity, you're never allowed to forget them and have to keep apologising for the rest of your life, so it seems..

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
                      Definitely Sean Flynn!

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
                        She's very sincere about this. We all make mistakes. When you're a celebrity, you're never allowed to forget them and have to keep apologising for the rest of your life, so it seems..
                        I am sure she is sincere, and I nothing but respect for everyone who took a stand against the Vietnam war, but she shouldn't have been there in the first place. The USA, rightly or wrongly, was in state of war, and here was one of its highest profile actresses visiting the enemy capital. That's where the allegations of traitor come from

She could have limited her protests to demonstrations in the US, which certainly did more to end the conflict.

Comment

I am sure she is sincere, and I nothing but respect for everyone who took a stand against the Vietnam war, but she shouldn't have been there in the first place. The USA, rightly or wrongly, was in state of war, and here was one of its highest profile actresses visiting the enemy capital. That's where the allegations of traitor come from

She could have limited her protests to demonstrations in the US, which certainly did more to end the conflict.
                          I take your point, Paxton.

Comment

Firstly, The USA never declared war on North Vietnam, nor on neighbouring Laos and Cambodia, two other countries they bombed. These were classified as "military engagements", the US aiding South Vietnam at that government's 'request'. The 'war' was illegal under international law, hence one reason for the protests.

Secondly, Jane Fonda wasn't the only one who visited North Vietnam, quite a few Americans did, including Christian priests & singer Joan Baez (during the infamous Xmas bombing in 1972), they went to interview the civilians and document the North Vietnamese point of view, something completely lacking in the US media at the time. They also wanted to show that the US was deliberately & indiscriminately bombing civilians.

Thirdly, she and the FTA revue (which included Donald Sutherland) actively urged soldiers to burn their draft cards and also to desert. These were 'treasonable' acts and a very brave thing to do at the time as they risked imprisonment.
                            Last edited by agutterfan; 30th July 2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X