Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Energy bars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Energy bars

over the last 10 years or so, go into any supermarket, chemist shop, discount shop, and most likely you see displays of so called energy bars at high prices. Are they really beneficial to our health ? From what I determine, they are nothing but high price candy bars, and offer very little health benefits.

Of course they aren’t particularly “beneficial” to your health. Or no more than any other foodstuffs.

Steve

Comment

I tend to put them in much the same category as energy drinks - full of stuff that amp you up for a while, but really not very nice. And the fancy paleo ones which are a bit hip but overpriced for what they are.. Having said that, there are some nice bars etc made for hikers etc which are worth buying Clif bars have been around for some years, and pack a lot of nutrition into a niceish bar. There are now loads of them, especially in the States, and while a lot of them are no better than a flapjack, some are really good. Better than mint cake anyway.

BTW - the idea of an energy bar is nothing new. The real life escapee that David's McCullums character was based on in The Great Escape was in civilian life a nutritionist, and developed a sort of bar/flapjack that packed as many calories as possible (using whatever could be got from Red Cross parcels) which would help keep an escapee going. And chocolate was a standard issue item for such escapees, although in the excellent Free as a Running Fox, the author writes that he and another escapee made the potentially fatel error of eating it in public. Whereas British officer POWs were relatively well supplied with chocolate, it was pretty much unknown to wartime Germans - he notes that even Goring would have seen little of it.

Comment

As above, nothing new, just jazzed up in fancy packaging for the 'millenials'.

The 'energy', despite the supposed health claims, is down to their high (often disguised) sugar content. They'll rot your teeth and make you fat unless you amend the rest of your diet accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric7885 View Post
          over the last 10 years or so, go into any supermarket, chemist shop, discount shop, and most likely you see displays of so called energy bars at high prices. Are they really beneficial to our health ? From what I determine, they are nothing but high price candy bars, and offer very little health benefits.
          I wasn't aware they claimed health benefits? They are just sugar intensive to give people who are on a fitness kick a quick fix, just the same as energy drinks.

Comment

I looked earlier at REIs website for the various hiking ones they had - the US is a much bigger market. They had 22 different brands (being niche in the US is still a pretty decent market), which includes the wonderfully named brand, Bonk Breaker ( perhaps it has a different meaning in the US), and a number of stroopwafels, which I didn't think was an energy bar, but is nice with a coffee.

Comment

"Energy" bars and "energy" drinks - just a marketing ploy to make money out of cheap ingredients.
              Refined sugar = empty calories = diabetes, obesity.

Comment

Homer Simpson investigated this issue:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cLAq01y9qU

Comment

Working...
                X