Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

vitamin tablets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • vitamin tablets

    Go into any chemist shop, department store, discount store.You are going to see many bottles of vitamin tablets. Do we need them? A very profitable for vitamin tablets manufacturers. To begin with, if you feel you need vitamin supplement, consult your doctor. Depending upon our lifestyles, work schedules, as for me, a flight attendant, it was impossible to schedule my meals. Prices. All different prices. Major brands, much higher priced than store brands. Dont be fooled by slick advertisements, they are after your money. Since I am retired, my doctor recommended a calcium tablet per day. I purchase the store brand. So readers, dont get sucker in by the vitamin manufacturers. They want your money. Also, taking too many vitamins, may be dangerous to your health.
    Last edited by Eric7885; 14th August 2018, 03:01 PM.

  • #2

    I hope your doctor told you that taking calcium on its own won't do anything for you, because your body won't absorb it. The supplement tablet should be calcium + magnesium + Vitamin D3 + Vitamin K2.

    Ideally, the calcium should be derived from organic sources, not from rocks (calcium carbonate, calcium oxide). There are several different types of magnesium, too. I understand magnesium theonate is best, and magnesium stearate has no benefit, it's just a filler.

    Never take more than 250mg of calcium per day.




    Comment


    • #3
      Calcium + burger + beer +...

      Comment


      • #4
        Vitamin B helps to relieve (but not cure) carpal tunnel syndrome, being a sufferer, it does work, I also take D and a cod liver oil capsule every day, I take C in the six months of Winter, along with generous helpings of root vegetables and liver, all healthy stuff.

        Comment


        • #5
          Mark O, the vitamin companies like you. You and countless others, using their products, keep them in business

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mark O View Post
            Vitamin B helps to relieve (but not cure) carpal tunnel syndrome, being a sufferer, it does work, I also take D and a cod liver oil capsule every day, I take C in the six months of Winter, along with generous helpings of root vegetables and liver, all healthy stuff.
            Good for you, Mark. B6?


            I take a krill oil capsule every day, otherwise I have a deficiency of Omega-3 fatty acids, because I rarely eat fish. (When I do eat fish, it's always deep-sea fish, less likely to contain mercury.) Omega-3 is essential for a variety of reasons, including keeping your blood thin, and krill oil is a far better source of Omega-3 than fish oil.

            **Doctors will (or should!) tell you not to take krill oil if they have you on a blood-thinning drug like Warfarin.

            I also take Coenzyme Q10 (Ubiquinone) for cardiovascular health. It's an anti-oxidant that occurs naturally in your body, but decreases as you age and foods containing it don't have enough to make up for it.

            There are other supplements I take as well, but I must admit I sometimes forget to take them. My husband takes them religiously every day and exercises every day - both a long walk and a long bike ride. Always has. He is very fit and strong, never sick. I've never known him to take any medication. The only drug I take is paracetamol when I need it. Most seniors we know are on a variety of drugs.

            Many people will sneer at vitamin and mineral supplements without doing any homework. Most, if not all, of the bad press is instigated by the drug companies and that's because they can't patent them and make zillions out of them as they do with drugs.

            Medical students are not really taught about natural remedies. One told me he had about three weeks on the subject in his entire 4-year course. I'm lucky that my lovely GP is a Seventh Day Adventist. He doesn't just print off prescriptions willy-nilly and is knowledgeable about supplements. I can talk to him. Anything you ingest, you need to know what you're doing.

            My philosophy is that prevention is better than cure. So if supplements can help to keep me well (along with a healthy diet) then I'm less likely to need dangerous drugs in the future.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Derick Angerman View Post
              Mark O, the vitamin companies like you. You and countless others, using their products, keep them in business
              ...... which is no different to any other company with products to sell. No customers, no business.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Derick Angerman View Post
                Mark O, the vitamin companies like you. You and countless others, using their products, keep them in business
                Yes, they obviously work, or I wouldn't take them, I am a very very big bloke, I do not wish to consume (or even like) 'energy' drinks, tablets or powder, I take my supplements in Vitamin form and Fish oil.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

                  Good for you, Mark. B6?


                  I take a krill oil capsule every day, otherwise I have a deficiency of Omega-3 fatty acids, because I rarely eat fish. (When I do eat fish, it's always deep-sea fish, less likely to contain mercury.) Omega-3 is essential for a variety of reasons, including keeping your blood thin, and krill oil is a far better source of Omega-3 than fish oil.

                  **Doctors will (or should!) tell you not to take krill oil if they have you on a blood-thinning drug like Warfarin.

                  I also take Coenzyme Q10 (Ubiquinone) for cardiovascular health. It's an anti-oxidant that occurs naturally in your body, but decreases as you age and foods containing it don't have enough to make up for it.

                  There are other supplements I take as well, but I must admit I sometimes forget to take them. My husband takes them religiously every day and exercises every day - both a long walk and a long bike ride. Always has. He is very fit and strong, never sick. I've never known him to take any medication. The only drug I take is paracetamol when I need it. Most seniors we know are on a variety of drugs.

                  Many people will sneer at vitamin and mineral supplements without doing any homework. Most, if not all, of the bad press is instigated by the drug companies and that's because they can't patent them and make zillions out of them as they do with drugs.

                  Medical students are not really taught about natural remedies. One told me he had about three weeks on the subject in his entire 4-year course. I'm lucky that my lovely GP is a Seventh Day Adventist. He doesn't just print off prescriptions willy-nilly and is knowledgeable about supplements. I can talk to him. Anything you ingest, you need to know what you're doing.

                  My philosophy is that prevention is better than cure. So if supplements can help to keep me well (along with a healthy diet) then I'm less likely to need dangerous drugs in the future.
                  Yes, B6.

                  I would never take steroid type stuff, bodybuilders and fit young men have died from it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Derick Angerman View Post
                    Mark O, the vitamin companies like you. You and countless others, using their products, keep them in business

                    Indeed, just like Pharmaceutical companies. It's called 'commerce'.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I myself, take one calcium tablet a day, doctor recommended. I stick to a vegetarian diet. I will eat turkey, chicken. meat, never. So-called cold cuts never. I generally avoid sweets. Preference tea over coffee. Grant you, some vitamins are useful. But before taking them, consult your doctor. But do not rely on slick advertising adds that the vitamin companies put out.I also avoid frying food. Generally I avoid butter and margarine. Bread products, very little. So-called dry cereals, I will avoid. porridge is my favorite.
                      Last edited by Derick Angerman; 15th September 2018, 12:21 PM. Reason: Spelling

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I take my doctor’s advice & eat as many portions of fruit and vegetables each day. Except for fruit, I can never see the point of that and I particularly dislike the taste of oranges or any close relation.. So I live on cigarettes, coffee & whisky.

                        Well, they’re all based on vegetables

                        Steve

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow...?

                          Well, I'm in my eighth decade now and it works for me...but each to his own.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Derick Angerman View Post
                            I myself, take one calcium tablet a day, doctor recommended. I stick to a vegetarian diet. I will eat turkey, chicken. meat, never. So-called cold cuts never. I generally avoid sweets. Preference tea over coffee. Grant you, some vitamins are useful. But before taking them, consult your doctor. But do not rely on slick advertising adds that the vitamin companies put out.I also avoid frying food. Generally I avoid butter and margarine. Bread products, very little. So-called dry cereals, I will avoid. porridge is my favorite.
                            Don't rely on slick advertising for anything!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Derick Angerman View Post
                              I myself, take one calcium tablet a day, doctor recommended. I stick to a vegetarian diet. I will eat turkey, chicken. meat, never. So-called cold cuts never. I generally avoid sweets. Preference tea over coffee. Grant you, some vitamins are useful. But before taking them, consult your doctor. But do not rely on slick advertising adds that the vitamin companies put out.I also avoid frying food. Generally I avoid butter and margarine. Bread products, very little. So-called dry cereals, I will avoid. porridge is my favorite.
                              I'm curious. What do you think that turkey & chicken are made of if not meat? Eating them isn't being very vegetarian.

                              Steve

                              Comment


                              • Shirley Brahms
                                Shirley Brahms commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I thought the same at first, but "never" comes at the end of the sentence.
                            Working...
                            X