Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

vitamin tablets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric7885
    started a topic vitamin tablets

vitamin tablets

Go into any chemist shop, department store, discount store.You are going to see many bottles of vitamin tablets. Do we need them? A very profitable for vitamin tablets manufacturers. To begin with, if you feel you need vitamin supplement, consult your doctor. Depending upon our lifestyles, work schedules, as for me, a flight attendant, it was impossible to schedule my meals. Prices. All different prices. Major brands, much higher priced than store brands. Dont be fooled by slick advertisements, they are after your money. Since I am retired, my doctor recommended a calcium tablet per day. I purchase the store brand. So readers, dont get sucker in by the vitamin manufacturers. They want your money. Also, taking too many vitamins, may be dangerous to your health.
    Last edited by Eric7885; 14th August 2018, 03:01 PM.

• Mark O
    replied
    Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

Neuroscientists, university medical teams under the leadership of professors of psychiatry, The European Sleep Research Society with branches in more than 30 countries whose members include ... PhD., M.D., M.S. and postgraduate students. Neurologists, cardiologists, psychiatrists and other clinicians; also neuroscientists and psychophysiologists. Professionally engaged in clinical sleep research in various patients, sleep studies in healthy humans and animal sleep experiments.

Margaret Thatcher existed on 4 hours sleep for a very long time and look what happened to her.

I can only repeat, your body repairs itself whilst you sleep. It needs sleep just as much as it needs food. Sleep is critical for your health and well-being.

Be kind to yourself - give your brain the time it needs to go through these four stages:

Yes, I don't think there is such a thing as 'too much sleep'.

After all, rest and recuperation is what Doctor's advise.

Personally, I do have a fair amount of sleep, about 8-9 hours, if I am on a rest day, I'm generally up by 8am, but have about an hour and a half nap in the afternoon, which will ensure I don't nod off in the evening whilst watching Coronation Street or something.

Winston Churchill swore by his 'cat-naps' during the day, he was at his most alert in the early hours apparently.

Leave a comment:

• Shirley Brahms
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
    She seemed to be very successful in her chosen profession as I recall (I may have disagreed with her, but she was successful by her own lights)

Steve

She developed Alzheimers.

Sleep deprivation may speed up development of Alzheimer’s disease.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Crook
    replied
    Margaret Thatcher existed on 4 hours sleep for a very long time and look what happened to her.
    She seemed to be very successful in her chosen profession as I recall (I may have disagreed with her, but she was successful by her own lights)

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Steve Crook
    replied

I can't find any such links, Narabdela.
    Children certainly need 8 hours. Adults 7-8. Over time, six or less has a negative effect on cognitive performance.
    My 4 (or fewer) hours sleep a night certainly had no effect on my cognitive performance while I was studying for my MSc or since then in my job which I've now been doing for over 30 years

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Shirley Brahms
    replied

Researched extensively by which "Scientists"? What were their areas of expertise? People sometime quote "Scientists" then you find out that they are Sociologists
    Neuroscientists, university medical teams under the leadership of professors of psychiatry, The European Sleep Research Society with branches in more than 30 countries whose members include ... PhD., M.D., M.S. and postgraduate students. Neurologists, cardiologists, psychiatrists and other clinicians; also neuroscientists and psychophysiologists. Professionally engaged in clinical sleep research in various patients, sleep studies in healthy humans and animal sleep experiments.

Sleep is a waste of time for me

Just because some people waste their time during the day doesn't prevent their time asleep also being a waste of time
    I can only repeat, your body repairs itself whilst you sleep. It needs sleep just as much as it needs food. Sleep is critical for your health and well-being.

Be kind to yourself - give your brain the time it needs to go through these four stages:

Find out what happens during the various stages of sleep with this guide to sleep cycles, including REM and Non-REM sleep.

Leave a comment:

• Shirley Brahms
    replied
    Originally posted by narabdela View Post

I wouldn't be too sure about that Shirley. A bit of time spent on Google suggests that the 'evidence' for us needing eight hours is sketchy and unreliable.
    I can't find any such links, Narabdela.
    Children certainly need 8 hours. Adults 7-8. Over time, six or less has a negative effect on cognitive performance.

CONCLUSIONS:
    Since chronic restriction of sleep to 6 h or less per night produced cognitive performance deficits equivalent to up to 2 nights of total sleep deprivation, it appears that even relatively moderate sleep restriction can seriously impair waking neurobehavioral functions in healthy adults. Sleepiness ratings suggest that subjects were largely unaware of these increasing cognitive deficits, which may explain why the impact of chronic sleep restriction on waking cognitive functions is often assumed to be benign. Physiological sleep responses to chronic restriction did not mirror waking neurobehavioral responses, but cumulative wakefulness in excess of a 15.84 h predicted performance lapses across all four experimental conditions. This suggests that sleep debt is perhaps best understood as resulting in additional wakefulness that has a neurobiological "cost" which accumulates over time.

See here:
    Sleep. 2003 Mar 15;26(2):117-26. Clinical Trial; Randomized Controlled Trial; Research Support, U.S. Gov't, Non-P.H.S.; Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Crook
    replied

It's not a theory. It's a subject that's been researched extensively by scientists and the findings are well-established.

No, and I'm afraid I don't get the point of the question - however, no-one "wastes" 8 hours per day sleeping.

Countless people waste a helluva lot of time during their waking hours!
    Researched extensively by which "Scientists"? What were their areas of expertise? People sometime quote "Scientists" then you find out that they are Sociologists

Just because some people waste their time during the day doesn't prevent their time asleep also being a waste of time
    Sleep is a waste of time for me

Steve

Leave a comment:

• narabdela
    replied

It's not a theory. It's a subject that's been researched extensively by scientists and the findings are well-established.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that Shirley. A bit of time spent on Google suggests that the 'evidence' for us needing eight hours is sketchy and unreliable.

Leave a comment:

• Shirley Brahms
    replied

That’s an interesting theory- but where’s the proof?

Do you know anyone who used to waste 8 hours per day sleeping who then changed to just 4 hours per day?
    No, and I'm afraid I don't get the point of the question - however, no-one "wastes" 8 hours per day sleeping.

Countless people waste a helluva lot of time during their waking hours!

Leave a comment:

• ChuckEddie
    replied
    For no reason, other than habit.

I take cod liver oil capsules. (for me old joints)
    Multivitamins&iron tablets.
    and odourless garlic tablets.

Do I feel better for it, perhaps my bank account would.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Crook
    replied

It's not really switching off for 1/3 of your life. Your body needs time to repair itself and it needs sleep to do that. It needs sleep just as much as it needs food. It's essential for your well-being.
    That’s an interesting theory- but where’s the proof?
    Do you know anyone who used to waste 8 hours per day sleeping who then changed to just 4 hours per day?

You can lose 1/3 of your life by dying too soon due to not being kind to your body.
    But I don’t plan on dying. I’m immortal ... (so far)

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Shirley Brahms
    replied
    “Moderation”? What’s that?
    Not just with whisky but with anything. Nothing exceeds like excess

Only one mug of coffee per day?
    I never believed the stories about coffee keeping you awake. I can drink a cup of coffee just before I go to sleep. But I never did sleep much anyway. 8 hours sleep per day means you’re switching off for 1/3 of your life. 4 hours per night is quite a lot for me. It’s just my odd metabolism. It’s also how I get so much done

Steve
    It's not really switching off for 1/3 of your life. Your body needs time to repair itself and it needs sleep to do that. It needs sleep just as much as it needs food. It's essential for your well-being.
    You can lose 1/3 of your life by dying too soon due to not being kind to your body.

.....and it's 3am here - I'd better go to bed!
    Last edited by Shirley Brahms; 15th September 2018, 04:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Crook
    replied

I love good coffee and have one mug a day. (I never touch the instant rubbish, it's disgusting.)

Apparently, whisky "in moderation" is good for you because it contains a powerful anti-oxidant.
    The problem is, what's "moderation"?
    “Moderation”? What’s that?
    Not just with whisky but with anything. Nothing exceeds like excess

Only one mug of coffee per day?
    I never believed the stories about coffee keeping you awake. I can drink a cup of coffee just before I go to sleep. But I never did sleep much anyway. 8 hours sleep per day means you’re switching off for 1/3 of your life. 4 hours per night is quite a lot for me. It’s just my odd metabolism. It’s also how I get so much done

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Derick Angerman
    replied
    Yes Steve, you have a valid point. Chicken and Turkey, poultry, yet it is considered meat. It is only a rarity that I consume these products. Here in America Thanksgiving and Christmas, Easter Sunday meals, generally these products are on the menu. As for keeping these products around the house, my wife and I did not.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X