Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Distractions. Texting, cellular phone use, while driving cars.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distractions. Texting, cellular phone use, while driving cars.

Here in Boston and many other U.S. cities. It is quite common to see drivers using their phones, while driving. Today, on the news, I hear that in Canada, starting next year, that the government may pass a law, that if you are caught using these devices, while driving, the offense may cost you one thousand dollars and 4 demerit points, which will increase your auto insurance. Do the European countries have this problem I, myself, never use my phone or Tex while driving my car. I have a full time job, keeping my eyes on the road. If I have to use the phone, I will pull over to the side of the road and stop the car. When driving I always leave the phone off.
    Last edited by Derick Angerman; 2nd September 2018, 01:15 PM. Reason: Extra comment pull

Good for you. Nothing’s so important to make you answer the phone or to make a phone call whilst driving. Similarly you should never need to read or send a text whilst driving. There’s always time to pull over, stop & deal with it if you think it’s really important.

It’s been illegal here in the UK for ages now to use a phone in any way while you are driving. I’m not sure what the penalties are but it will certainly get you pulled over & punished.

Some people think it’s OK to use the “hands free” feature on their phone while they’re driving. Personally, I don’t think it is. Anything on the phone can still distract you when you should be focussed on driving.

Steve

Comment

I think a hands-free phone conversation is no different to chatting with your passengers. Usually I'm by myself when I drive so on the odd occasion when I do have a passenger I find it difficult to concentrate on both talking and driving at the same time. I don't even have the radio on when I drive. I have done in the past, but too many times I have suddenly found myself nearing my destination with no recollection whatsoever of having passed through key points along the way, which was rather alarming. Also, a couple of times I missed my turn-off and had to drive an extra 13 kilometres before I could exit the freeway and come back.
      So instead of the radio, I just sing!

I'm surprised Canada doesn't already have laws and fines in place.

As of 1st July, NSW drivers using mobile phones can be detected via camera technology. The only time you may handle your phone is to pass it to a passenger.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
        I think a hands-free phone conversation is no different to chatting with your passengers. Usually I'm by myself when I drive so on the odd occasion when I do have a passenger I find it difficult to concentrate on both talking and driving at the same time. I don't even have the radio on when I drive. I have done in the past, but too many times I have suddenly found myself nearing my destination with no recollection whatsoever of having passed through key points along the way, which was rather alarming. Also, a couple of times I missed my turn-off and had to drive an extra 13 kilometres before I could exit the freeway and come back.
        Good reasons for not even using a hands free phone

So instead of the radio, I just sing!
        Your poor passengers

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
          Good reasons for not even using a hands free phone
          Definitely. What I meant was that both situations are risky.
          Your poor passengers

Steve
          I don't sing when I have passengers.

Comment

Here in Canada, depending which province you live, penalties do exist for drivers using their mobile phones, while driving. The first time, in Ontario is about 490 dollars, plus 3 demerit points. I myself, would not use the mobile while driving, as Shirley Brahms pointed out, not listening to the radio, I never use the radio when driving. It is a distraction. And, next year, January, the fine for using a mobile phone, while driving, will be raised to a thousand dollars. I am sure this will make the lawyers smile. Don’t criticize Shirly’s Singing voice, she may be the next Doris Day.
            Last edited by Eric7885; 2nd September 2018, 07:40 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Shirley Brahms
              Shirley Brahms commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha, that would be nice. Or Frida Boccara.
          Working...
          X