Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Shooting in America

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting in America

11 dead, some wounded, in a house of God. Most people would feel safe inside this setting. I guess in this world, during these times, the availability of guns in America, this is expected. I am sure this is not the last shooting.
    Last edited by Eric7885; 28th October 2018, 08:08 PM.

The USA is going to hell in a handcart. I know it sounds harsh, but I think I've given up caring anymore. They're beyond redemption.

Comment

Have a look at the maps:

Comment

Shirley's figures say it all. The whole godforsaken country is batshit crazy.

Comment

Thank God I live in Canada. Nô we are not perfect. Our neighbours to the South like to use guns to settle disputes. By and large we are a peacefull country. But thén again are we that peacefull! Look at the population of the two countries, quitté à différence. Excuse spelling, with two vocabulaires, French and English. I hâve been Known making mistakes in spelling.
          Last edited by Eric7885; 29th October 2018, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post
            ... with a batshit crazy leader.

President Donald Trump had about three times as much free time planned for last Tuesday as work time, according to his private schedule. The president was slated for more than nine hours of “Executive Time,” a euphemism for the unstructured time Trump spends tweeting, phoning friends and watching television. Official meetings, policy briefings and public appearances — typically the daily work of being president — consumed barely more than three hours of his day.

He complained Friday morning during a three-hour block of Executive Time that the rash of attempted pipe bombings had driven coverage of the midterms out of the news.

"Republicans are doing so well in early voting, and at the polls, and now this 'Bomb' stuff happens and the momentum greatly slows - news not talking politics," Trump wrote. "Very unfortunate, what is going on. Republicans, go out and vote!"
            The president’s schedule shows huge swaths of his day unplanned, allowing his whims and momentary interests to drive White House business.
            Last edited by Shirley Brahms; 29th October 2018, 05:27 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Shirley Brahms
              Shirley Brahms commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry, I've gone way off topic here.

The whole godforsaken country is batshit crazy.
            Not quite the whole country, but certainly the vast majority of them. Thinking that they can settle disputes with firearms - without any consequences.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Eric7885 View Post
              Thank God I live in Canada. No we are not perfect. Our neighbours to the South like to use guns to settle disputes
              There are (apparently) just as many (if not more) guns per person in Canada. But they tend not to shoot each other so much

Steve

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                  Not quite the whole country, but certainly the vast majority of them. Thinking that they can settle disputes with firearms - without any consequences.

Steve
                  Hardly the "vast majority". A signicant minority, at worst.

Comment

• Bonekicker
                    Bonekicker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    But that significant minority is more than enough to stop any Federal action on gun ownership or any regulation surrounding it. And with Trump in the White House, and the Senate /House being in Republican hands, it's not going to be easy to do anything.

BTW - an AR15 again. Because of course...

Where has common sense gone to in the USA? Trump seems incapable of controlling guns, too easy, I suppose to be on the gun makers side, rather than actually curtail their deadly weapons. Money as usual is, no doubt, the reason why nothing gets done. Well, until one of Trump's family is shot, then what would happen?

Comment

Originally posted by CliveT View Post
                    Where has common sense gone to in the USA? Trump seems incapable of controlling guns, too easy, I suppose to be on the gun makers side, rather than actually curtail their deadly weapons. Money as usual is, no doubt, the reason why nothing gets done. Well, until one of Trump's family is shot, then what would happen?
                    Nothing was done about guns when Reagan was shot, why would anything be done if Trump suffered a personal loss? The gun lobby is too strong in the US and the culture of guns too embedded. Ultimately, it's about money and politics, nationalism, Constitutional rights, whatever else, are simply the levers that are pulled to make more money.

The real driver for change will be when it costs more money to mantain a 'gun culture' society as it is then it does to change it.

Comment

Just read the newly elected president of Brazil is to relax gun control in his country, declaring "firearms safeguard freedom," and going to to say it's time to abandon the politically correct fallacy about guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post
                        Just read the newly elected president of Brazil is to relax gun control in his country, declaring "firearms safeguard freedom," and going to to say it's time to abandon the politically correct fallacy about guns.
                        And it's perfectly in order to shoot someone who's attempting to steal your spare tyre.

“I ask myself: ‘Why can’t a truck driver have the right to carry a gun?’” he said.

“Just think about it; put yourself in the shoes of a truck driver. He nods off at the petrol station … and when he wakes up the next day his spare tyre has gone.”

Comment

Working...
                        X