Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Honours Lists (New Year and Queen's Birthday)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CliveT View Post
    Shirley, Yes, I often think about the little old ladies who are alone, and give their all in charity shops day in, day out and are happy to use their time in a useful manner. Then I think of the so called 'celebrities' who flaunt themselves in front of the media, attention seekers to their last breath and wonder why they are given 'honours', and more importantly, why anyone in their position could honestly say they deserved it?
    But ‘twas ever this. Those that make more noise always got (& get) the most attention. Honours are rarely a matter of “deserved”.

Steve

Comment

It makes you wonder if some celebrities get involved with charities mostly because they covet an honour......

Oh what a bitchy thing to say!

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
        It makes you wonder if some celebrities get involved with charities mostly because they covet an honour......

Oh what a bitchy thing to say!

But quite reasonable to point it out.

Steve

Comment

Many people receive honours, the list every year is extensive, but not surprisingly the handful who grab the headlines are the celebrities whom we've all heard of. It doesn't diminish the value of an award just because it's not one of the ones announced on the news, but not so many of us are interested in these laudable (but unknown) individuals if we're honest.

Call me shallow, but on those odd occasions when the old TV show "This Is Your Life" paid tribute to some selfless, dedicated soul who had for years slaved away dutifully for some worthy cause, completely outside the glare of "fame" - those were the episodes when I switched over and watched someone famous on another channel.

And I'm always far more interested in the list of celebs who have turned down the Queen's Honours.

Comment

One of my favorites and I didn't even know about this until today!

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2018/0...nella_fielding

I agree about Emma Thompson Shirl.
            Last edited by Faginsgirl; 10th June 2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

What other sort of reward can a “celebrity” expect?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                What other sort of reward can a “celebrity” expect?

Steve
                Industry rewards, I suppose (like BAFTAs, Golden Globes etc) plus all those silly ones like "Rear of the Year" or "Pipe Smoker of the Year" and those various "Walk of Fame" things where the pavement of somewhere like, say, Birmingham "rewards" a celebrity with a little brass nameplate or a pair of shoe prints, simply for coming from there and being well known.

Comment

"Sexiest Man Alive" always makes me cringe.
                  How can you judge that?
                  Anyway, being dead isn't very sexy.

Comment

No, being dead isn't very sexy, but if you're a celebrity and dead, you still could be on the grave-y train.

Comment

Lkie the pun !

Yes - it's likely that Elvis has earnt more money since his death than he did during it. Same with Monroe, and possibly Micahel Jackson.

Comment

No doubt he will be earning even more from the new documentary on Sky Atlantic "Elvis The Searcher" starting tomorrow on Sky Atlantic for two nights.

Comment

I could imagine him singing 'Don't throw your Love Away' and 'Sweets for my Sweet'

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
                            Lkie the pun !

Yes - it's likely that Elvis has earnt more money since his death than he did during it. Same with Monroe, and possibly Micahel Jackson.
                            I understand the estate of Eric Spear is still raking it in with £ for every episode when the CORONATION STREET theme is played on screen (umpteen times a week now, I imagine).

Comment

Originally posted by steve crook View Post

but ‘twas ever this. Those that make more noise always got (& get) the most attention. Honours are rarely a matter of “deserved”.

Steve
                              And what about all those civil servants who get them automatically after a number of years service. Reminds me of that Yes Minister episode.

Hacker: I'm not going to approve any honour for any civil servant of this department who hasn't earned it. Sir Humphrey: What do you mean "earned it?" Hacker: I mean "earned it." Done something to deserve it. Sir Humphrey: [outraged] But that's unheard of!

[Bernard explains to the Minister the honours available to senior Civil Servants.] Hacker: Well, what has Sir Arnold to fear, anyway? He's got all the honours he could want, surely? Bernard: Well, naturally he has his G. Hacker: G? Bernard: Yes; you get your G after your K. Hacker: You speak in riddles, Bernard. Bernard: Well, take the Foreign Office. First you get the CMG, then the KCMG, then the GCMG; the Commander of the Order of St Michael and St George, Knight Commander of St Michael and St George, Knight Grand Cross of St Michael and St George. Of course, in the Service, CMG stands for "Call Me God," and KCMG for "Kindly Call Me God." Hacker: [chuckles] What does GCMG stand for? Bernard: "God Calls Me God."
                              Last edited by agutterfan; 13th June 2018, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Personally I think it's about time that the five football directors who founded the Premier League should get some recognition.

Comment

Working...
                                X