Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Worst political blunders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could have voted for a man who will go down in history

He is going down.

Comment

Originally posted by tv horror View Post
      he deserves a place on Mount Rushmore...​​​ "
      Especially viewed from the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

Yeah, save the planet - eliminate humans.

(P.S. Thank you for knowing how to spell ''hypocrite"!)
        Not a question of elimination today,is it Shirl? it's a question of not running headlong into a future where our descendants may indeed have to make tough decisions on who lives or not(.as seen in many Sci Fi films)-.however old Mother Nature may take action herself with disease, famine and war etc.
        Last edited by Bert Quark; 19th June 2017, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Quark View Post

Not a question of elimination today,is it Shirl? it's a question of not running headlong into a future where our descendants may indeed have to make tough decisions on who lives or not(.as seen in many Sci Fi films)-.however old Mother Nature may take action herself with disease, famine and war etc.
          I thought your previous post was tongue-in-cheek and I responded likewise.

It baffles me why people go against the science, preferring to figure it out for themselves, as if they know better than the vast majority of climate change scientists who've been studying it for yonks and actually know what they're talking about.

Comment

This might be a simplistic view of how I view the World, it's like one of those giant bottles of sweets were you have to guess the number contained inside, one day we as a whole will reach that bottom of the bottle and then it's too late.

Comment

Originally posted by will View Post
              I could have voted for a man who will go down in history

He is going down.
              I could have voted for a man who will penalise me financially for having a garden.

Corbin wanted to introduce a 'Garden tax', as he feels people who own their own homes and have gardens should be 'punished'.

If he had his way everyone would live in communes.

Taxes will not rise under Trump, nor will they (here in Britain) under a Conservative leader.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post
                Taxes will not rise under Trump, nor will they (here in Britain) under a Conservative leader.
                That's because they both want to look after their super-rich backers who don't like paying taxes. But if nobody pays taxes, who will pay for the schools & health care?

Steve

Comment

I could have voted for a man who will penalise me financially for having a garden.

Corbin wanted to introduce a 'Garden tax', as he feels people who own their own homes and have gardens should be 'punished'.

If he had his way everyone would live in communes.

Taxes will not rise under Trump, nor will they (here in Britain) under a Conservative leader
                  I'd never even heard of this 'garden tax' stuff, so I googled it - and its rubbish. Its simply that Labour are advocating a shift away from Council Tax (where the valuations are totally outdated, because nobody wants to review them , because of the possible political price) to a land based system http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/what-l...ained-10570908 .

Radical? Hardly. If you've ever just flicked through an economics textbook you'll have seen the same thing advocated as far back as the 18th century (actually a lot further back than that) by such people as Adam Smith, Ricardo, and most famously, by the American, Henry George. Its was a key platform for the Liberals under Lloyd George and Asquith - you'll still get a flavour of that at LD conferences, where the tradition Glee Club on the last night will always include that very old song 'The Land, the land, it was made for you and me' (and very moving/great fun it is too).

So this is nothing new, and the garden stuff is garbage. Why do you keep getting taken in by this stuff?

Trump will try to slash taxes (since he doesn't pay his anyway, its not a big deal for him), but its going to take the GOP in both houses, plus the WH to agree on stuff, and thats not had a good track record so far. On the other hand, since the seemingly one aim of the modern Republican Party is to give away money to very rich people, they'll give it their best shot. They've cooked up a healthcare bill which has been described as an abomination, and apparently now so awful that they havn't told anyone whats in it - so shamelessness is the order of the day.

As for Hammond, he knows just how badly Brexit is going to hit the Treasury, which is why he tried to raise taxes at the last budget - the NIC increase was just that https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-growth-brexit, but they had to reverse it after the political backlash.

So May and Hammond have a choice - since people now dont like austerity, they'll have to spend more money. But people dont like paying more tax. And Brexit is going to hit both revenue and costs, so what to do to fill the hole? Choices, choices...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

That's because they both want to look after their super-rich backers who don't like paying taxes. But if nobody pays taxes, who will pay for the schools & health care?

Steve
                    Apparently university students want some poor sod working in a dead beat job (paying his taxes every week) to pay for their education so that they can have a fantastic job and earn more money than he does..

Comment

Apparently university students want some poor sod working in a dead beat job (paying his taxes every week) to pay for their education so that they can have a fantastic job and earn more money than he does..
                      Why not? That's what people of my generation did. With grants that paid all of our tuition plus healthy living allowances

Steve

Comment

...and in turn, pay tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Steve
                          I certainly do, every week, it's fair enough paying for education until the age of 16, but I object to my taxes being hiked to pay for University tuition, why should I ?

People attend University of their own free will, they should pay for it, end of.

Comment

That describes me exactly Bert, I've mentioned in the above post I object to paying University fees for other people.

I wouldn't have voted for Corbin anyway, he may be Primeminister, but it will be Diane Abbott who wears the trousers, it's no secret she's vehemently anti-British.

Beside how is increasing duty on booze, ciggies, fuel, etc; going to benefit an ordinary work bloke (as I), it's all fantasy and pie in the sky.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
                              So May and Hammond have a choice - since people now dont like austerity, they'll have to spend more money. But people dont like paying more tax. And Brexit is going to hit both revenue and costs, so what to do to fill the hole? Choices, choices...
                              You're right that people don't like paying more tax - particularly when we are giving away £13 billion plus each year on overseas aid. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping out other countries when natural disasters occur, eg. earthquakes, landslides, etc., but to just hand over shed-loads of cash, even when certain countries have admitted they have no need for it, frankly makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post

I certainly do, every week, it's fair enough paying for education until the age of 16, but I object to my taxes being hiked to pay for University tuition, why should I ?

People attend University of their own free will, they should pay for it, end of.
                                What taxes go to pay for University students? In England they have been paying their own tuition fees for ages and getting student loans to cover their living expenses

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X