Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

General Motors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Motors

This decision by General Motors has Primister Trudeau and President Trump upset. 10 years ago, both the U.S.A. and Canada, used tax payers money to bail them out. Now, they are going to close down plants in Oshawa Ontario and a plants in the U.SA. 2500 workers in Ontario out of work, many in America out of work. Unclear as to where they are going. No doubt Mexico or China, cheaper labour. If that so, both Canada and the U.S.A, may impose stiff tariffs on cars from those countries.

GM is an international company, with shareholders. It will always look at lowering costs, and getting rid of divisions it does not want, which is why Vauxhall/Opel is now owned by PSA, part of the Renault group. Basically, it has to hugely change to survive.

GM was saved by Obama, but Trump has launched trade wars against Canada, the EU, Mexico (sort of) and China. I suspect he is part of the problem, not the solution. And stiff tarriffs just means that US consumers pay more for cars.

Comment

Trump is an idiot. His tarrffs help the moribund steel industry but hurts the much larger auto industry. I hope Mueller has some stuff on him to get him out of offfice. Cohen looks like a bigger threat to him than those two clowns, Corsci and Stone. At this point Trump really can't fire Mueller, so he keeps screaming witch hunt, but there is so much smoke at this point only his most slavish followers can buy it. If Manafort gets that pardon, Trump will surely be impeached and I am not so sure the Republican Senate won't convict him. Obstruction of justice is worse than lying about a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
        GM is an international company, with shareholders. It will always look at lowering costs, and getting rid of divisions it does not want, which is why Vauxhall/Opel is now owned by PSA, part of the Renault group.
        PSA is nothing to do with Renault. PSA is Peugeot and Citroen. Renault is an entirely different company.

Comment

• Bonekicker
          Bonekicker commented
          Editing a comment
          I was typing quickly and forgot which French brand they were! You are of course correct.

Renault is, like PSA, partially owned by the French state, and like PSA, has international tieups. They too will get rid of unprofitable divisions, because they have to.
      Working...
      X