Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Christmas cards and pens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas cards and pens

we are now into the Christmas season. So far, I have received, in the post, 6 packages. Each package contains 10 Christmas cards and a pen. These packages from various charitable organizations. The only charities I give to at Christmas is the Salvation Army and the Toronto star toys for tots organization. This is the first year, I have received these so-called packages with Christmas cards. I guess I won’t have to buy Christmas cards next year. Is this same thing happening in the U.K.?

​​​​​​.

Originally posted by Eric7885 View Post
    we are now into the Christmas season. So far, I have received, in the post, 6 packages. Each package contains 10 Christmas cards and a pen. These packages from various charitable organizations. The only charities I give to at Christmas is the Salvation Army and the Toronto star toys for tots organization. This is the first year, I have received these so-called packages with Christmas cards. I guess I won’t have to buy Christmas cards next year. Is this same thing happening in the U.K.?

​​​​​​.
    People are still sending Christmas cards?

Comment

Here in Canada, Christmas cards are sent. The shops have them for sale, so far I have received two cards from Eire, one card from England and two cards from the United States. So, I guess many people send out cards. Some people,I know, do send, through the internet, Christmas greetings and musical cards.

Comment

​​​​​​.
        Oh yes, most definitely. Most days the mailbox is crammed full with cards & pens from all of the charities. I’ve had them from the Sally Army, all of the animal charities and all of the rest.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post

Yes, either paper (or card often with material) or just electronic cards

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post

I was in a card shop today buying a birthday card and you couldn't move for people buying Christmas cards.

Comment

Interesting about Eric7885 comment about Christmas cards. So far I have received 3 packs of them, containing 10 cards and a cheap pen. This must be a universal thing, with the hope that individuals will send in a donation.

Comment

Originally posted by Derick Angerman View Post
                Interesting about Eric7885 comment about Christmas cards. So far I have received 3 packs of them, containing 10 cards and a cheap pen. This must be a universal thing, with the hope that individuals will send in a donation.
                I hope they all get enough donations to at least cover the cost of this risky kind of promotion!

Comment

we are now into the Christmas season. So far, I have received, in the post, 6 packages. Each package contains 10 Christmas cards and a pen. These packages from various charitable organizations. The only charities I give to at Christmas is the Salvation Army and the Toronto star toys for tots organization. This is the first year, I have received these so-called packages with Christmas cards. I guess I won’t have to buy Christmas cards next year. Is this same thing happening in the U.K.?​​​.
                  I'm now returning these (writes "RTS" on envelope), unopened, with a note on the back"If you can afford to waste money on this, then you don't need a donation from me".

Problem is, I figure the charity concerned will probably never see the note as I suspect the majority of these are package and despatched from (and consequently returned to) bulk mailing centres or handicapped persons workshops.

But at least it makes me feel better, anyway.

Comment

• Bonekicker
                    Bonekicker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Actually, the charity will normally do it's best to weed out people who don't want or use those cards - it's an expense. There is a percentage strike rate they are looking for.

Christmas cards are actually surprisingly effective - if your a Christian charity, it can be very effective, and of course those cards get sent to other people, which again raises the profile.

And charities will often produce their own cards to be bought by supporters and the public, both in season charity card shops, online, by supporters etc.

In fact, my wife (who is a professional charity fundraiser) has just today had another delivery of cards that will need to be packed up for sale - which is what I suspect myself and the children will be doing, if the past is any guide.

Originally posted by arthur linden-jones View Post

But at least it makes me feel better, anyway.
                  not very seasonal, though

Comment

• arthur linden-jones
                    Editing a comment
                    I make plenty of donations, but I make them of my own choosing of who and when. You don't have to be seasonal to be charitable.

Arthur Linden-Jones made an interesting comment about where these cards are coming from. Mass distribution from one central location. Concerning the 3 packs I have received, the packets are all the same size. The pens, white color with the charity’s name printed on them are the same style. The cards, all 3 Packets are the same size. On all the cards their is a control number printed on the left hand bottom of the card. The numbers are almost identical.

Comment

Anyone who receives these packages with Christmas cards.and pens should send at least some form of financial donation as maybe one day you might need these charities for yourself,Families or friends.

A lot of charities depend on financial donations as the goverment do not really help them as their tooooooooooooo busy sorting the brexit and other mess that got us into.

End of rant

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post
                      Anyone who receives these packages with Christmas cards.and pens should send at least some form of financial donation as maybe one day you might need these charities for yourself,Families or friends.
                      I disagree. I do buy charity Christmas cards, but I'm choosy about which charities I support, and I object to moral blackmail.

This sort of unsolicited mail is recycled.

Comment

I agree with narabdela. I give to charities of my choice. These packets of Christmas cards are unwanted. I am very choosy who I donate Money to. Money does not grow on trees. I would return these cards back to the senders. They supply a postage paid envelope for your check or credit card authorization slip. The cards will not fit into the envelope they provide. Here in the U.S.A. Their has been discussions on about how much of your donation goes to the charity. You be surprise as to how of your donation goes to the operating expense of the charity.

Comment

Originally posted by Derick Angerman View Post
                          Their has been discussions on about how much of your donation goes to the charity. You be surprise as to how of your donation goes to the operating expense of the charity.
                          And therein lies the rub. I suspect that many (most? all?) of these types of mailings eminate from profitable fund-raising organisations, and very little sees its way to the charities that the organisation purports to represents.

I make all my charity donations DIRECT to the headquarters of the organisations concerned -and certainly never to any unsolicited and/or third party.
                          Last edited by arthur linden-jones; 5th December 2018, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X