Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

End of home mail delivery in Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of home mail delivery in Canada

Postal authorities, here in Canada, have stated the postal service is in the red. Many firms are now eliminating paper bills for electronic bills sent to your computer. With the cost of a postage stamps, many Canadians are opting to pay their bills through their computers. Those who still request a paper bill, some firms are charging extra for this service. Home mail delivery will end here in Canada in about two years from now. Packages, special delivery mail will be still brought to your home and business. Those, who’recieve regular mail will have to pick it up either at the post office, or designated areas assigned to the location of you home.

"Authorities" have been toying with the idea of non-daily mail deliveries here in Australia for some time. Also multi-tiered postal service - different postal costs for daily delivery vs non-daily delivery.

It was once arguable that their was still a large proportion of the population that wasn't computer literate enough to force onto total digital mail service. However, as the generations move on, the percentage of that population is declining rapidly.

While the "letter" level postal service has declined, however the parcel level has exploded with the advent and growth of online purchasing..

Comment

Originally posted by Eric7885 View Post
      Postal authorities, here in Canada, have stated the postal service is in the red. Many firms are now eliminating paper bills for electronic bills sent to your computer. With the cost of a postage stamps, many Canadians are opting to pay their bills through their computers. Those who still request a paper bill, some firms are charging extra for this service. Home mail delivery will end here in Canada in about two years from now. Packages, special delivery mail will be still brought to your home and business. Those, who’recieve regular mail will have to pick it up either at the post office, or designated areas assigned to the location of you home.
      Happy to go paperless, I haven't had a bank statement for years and don't miss them. Most of my mail these days is of the junk variety

Comment

How are Christmas cards going to be delivered if there's no more postie?

Comment

I watched a TV prog about a train journey in Canada. At one of the stops, out in the real middle of nowhere, they dropped off no people but loads of goods. From shoes to a truck. There was nobody working at the station. They just dropped off on the platform, no paperwork signed, and left it. The new owner just turned up and collected their goods. Evidently people came from hundreds of miles to pick things up. I suppose Australia is very much the same. Demographics will rule in large places like that. I think the old Posties livelihood is a bit safer in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Toscana View Post
            I watched a TV prog about a train journey in Canada. At one of the stops, out in the real middle of nowhere, they dropped off no people but loads of goods. From shoes to a truck. There was nobody working at the station. They just dropped off on the platform, no paperwork signed, and left it. The new owner just turned up and collected their goods. Evidently people came from hundreds of miles to pick things up. I suppose Australia is very much the same. Demographics will rule in large places like that. I think the old Posties livelihood is a bit safer in the UK.
            Wouldn't bet on it, there seems to be a plethora of delivery options without going anywhere near a Post Office, if such things are still around

Comment

Working...
            X