How long will dvd’s Last ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long will dvd’s Last ?

As I recall, the first DVD players to arrive in the shops for sale was around 1998. Expensive machines, around 450 to 500 dollars. RCA was the manufacture of the machine. A couple of days ago, I found two dvd’s I had purchased the. I Put them into player and they played perfectly. Picture and sound quality was OK. But not up to today’s standards. So, if dvd’s Are kept in their cases, away from sunlight, heating and air conditioning units. Expect many years of use.

According to The Guardian, over 50 years, if stored correctly

Google is an amazing thing.

Comment

Could be a case of expectation in comparing with what you've more recently become used to.

I know I will often drag out an "old" DVD or digital file, and be disappointed with the quality, only to realise that more recent DVDs and/or digital files are of much better recorded quality given technology advancements. The old ones haven't changed, I'd just forgotten they just weren't ever as good the one I got only yesterday.
      Last edited by arthur linden-jones; 18th May 2019, 11:19 PM.

Comment

I know I will often drag out an "old" DVD or digital file, and be disappointed with the quality, only to realise that more recent DVDs and/or digital files are of much better recorded quality given technology advancements. The old ones haven't changed, I'd just forgotten they just weren't ever as good the one I got only yesterday.
        I noticed that the fourth season of Buffy looked a lot better than the previous ones, as I was going through the box set. The blu ray player was the same, as was the TV. Its simply that was the point they started filming it in HD. The better the source, the better the reproduction, even if the actual screen resolution hasnt changed.

Watching on VHS after DVD is a bit of a shock...

Comment

Working...
        X