This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulting the British Ambassador

No doubt the tabloids are having a field day. Trump insults our closest ally, Great Britain’s ambassador to the U.S.A. The democrats are furious.

Originally posted by Derick Angerman View Post
    No doubt the tabloids are having a field day. Trump insults our closest ally, Great Britain’s ambassador to the U.S.A. The democrats are furious.
    Isn't the other way round ?

The UK Ambassador insulted President Trump.

That is how I saw it, a leaked e-mail.

I really do not understand why people despise
    the current POTUS, at least he recovered the Bust of Winston Churchill from the dank broom cupboard the previous bloke had him shut away in for eight long years, the bloke who said my Country will be punished with his 'back of the queue' insult for daring to leave the EU.........

Personally I am glad the UK Ambassador resigned

Comment

How true, I did not read all the facts. Tabloid headlines. I should have done some research on this. Thank you for bringing this information to me.

Comment

As a regular user of this Forum for many years I would like to say that hosting this potentially divisive political material on Britmovie risks creating friction between members of the forum - no, not just friction - open hostility between forum members.

I'd rather not see politically incendiary material on this forum than risk old friends falling out with each other or the majority of new posts being "off topic."

We all have different views - but in this period of heightened division Britmovie should be a haven where we can come together to share our love of film.

Comment

It wasn't an insult, and it wasnt an email.

it was a highly restricted report from 2017 (when Boris Johnson was Foreign Secretary), which was an appraisal of the Trump White House. Not only was it never meant to be made public, it was only supposed to be seen by perhaps a 100 people in government. Whoever leaked it was bordering on treason, because it has caused the withdrawal (in effect) of a highly effective and well thought of diplomat from an abjectly important post.

The ambassadors job isnt just to have good relations with the host country, but to report back honestly and accurately what he knows and has observed. If the UK allows other countries to pick and choose its ambassadors, it might as well give up any chance to have any influence at all in the world - far from taking back control, its basically allowed Trump to order the government around. Johnson is pretty much his poodle.

And ambassadors have report the unvarnished truth. As this excellent thread explains, having a British Ambassador in Berlin before the outbreak of war that effectively repeated what the Nazis told him meant that the UK Cabinet and others had an entirely false impression of the threat. If the ambassador isnt telling the truth, then they are not doing their job. And thanks to Brexit, etc, the idea that you should tell people what they need to know, not what they want to hear is suddenly in danger. Which puts us in danger.

Trump himself, by his reaction, confirmed what the report said - someone who madly tweeted all that day, possibly as a distraction from the Epstein arrest, and the discovery of DVD's full of pictures of under age girls. Pictures that might include him....

But then again, every ambassador from every country on the planet based in Washington is saying the same thing (note that the German Ambassador to the US pointedly tweeted that he was having breakfast with his French and British counterpart), as are people in the White House. Sir Kim could have just copied out a report from a newspaper or a number of books, because the dumpster fire of the WH is very well known, but he has excellent contacts with the WH and the US government, and they must have told him personally what a disaster the Trump Presidency is. Put it this way, Trumps cabinet has had the largest turnover of personnel of any presidency in recent history. His own former Sect. of State said he was a f**king moron.

And anyone who thinks that other governments are not writing similar things about us are delusional. We know that the US State department isnt that guarded in private, as Wikileaks showed. And this is what the Americans think of Brexit (from Inside the US Embassy shown on C4 last year)- remember this on camera: off camera will be a lot more blunt. There is one point in the programme where the Ambassador is talking to Liam Fox, and the guy is doing everything he can not to just roll his eyes at the delusional nonsense that Fox is spouting. The guy knows an idiot and a pigeon when he sees one.

This was an attack - an attack on the UK, and norms, by people who are more interested than pleasing or serving a foreign power than their own country . Putin will be delighted, if nothing else. It wasnt just to get a single person out, or even just to fill a gap for a Brexiter. Its was an attack on professionals reporting truth. It was an attack on reality, and one which needs to be punished - to the utmost.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post

...at least he recovered the Bust of Winston Churchill from the dank broom cupboard the previous bloke had him shut away in for eight long years.
            It's been pointed out to you on numerous occasions that this is nonsense Mark, yet you keep trotting it out ad nauseam.

Comment

Isn't the other way round ?

I really do not understand why people despise
              the current POTUS, at least he recovered the Bust of Winston Churchill from the dank broom cupboard the previous bloke had him shut away in for eight long years, the bloke who said my Country will be punished with his 'back of the queue' insult for daring to leave the EU.........

Personally I am glad the UK Ambassador resigned
              Still not sure whether you're genuine, or just a bad troll. I suspect the latter because I doubt whether anyone could be as gullible as you appear. The number of times you quote Trump's own personal fake-news-of-convenience, and appear to believe it, beggars belief.

As for the ambassador's comments about Trump, 2 sayings come to mind - the truth hurts, so shoot the messenger

Comment

• Shirley Brahms
                Shirley Brahms commented
                Editing a comment
                Surely it's to shoot the troll i.e.ban.

It registered for a day in the news media in the States, barely an hiccup in the Administration’s normal, day-to-day routine.

Comment

at least he recovered the Bust of Winston Churchill from the dank broom cupboard the previous bloke had him shut away in for eight long years...
                Even I remember reading the corrections to that point, at least twice, possibly even more

Comment

Hmmm, well, only people who were there would know the truth.........

At the least Bust is back in it's rightful place now, in view of the POTUS, though I'll be keeping check on what happens to it when a Democrat President is (eventually) elected.......

Comment

Hmmm, well, only people who were there would know the truth.........

At the least Bust is back in it's rightful place now, in view of the POTUS, though I'll be keeping check on what happens to it when a Democrat President is (eventually) elected.......

Wow, you were there! Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post

Wow, you were there! Which one are you?
                      I didn't say I was there........

Comment

I didn't say I was there........
                        You said only the people there know the truth. Since you dispute the reported version, you must know the truth; ergo you must have been there.

It’s quite logical really.

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post

You said only the people there know the truth. Since you dispute the reported version, you must know the truth; ergo you must have been there.

It’s quite logical really.
                          Have it your own way.........

I've said all I have to say, it's there, and it had better remain there, it's the least we (in Britain) can expect for saving the World from the Third Reich through Winston's direction and vigour........

Comment

I've said all I have to say, it's there, and it had better remain there, it's the least we (in Britain) can expect for saving the World from the Third Reich through Winston's direction and vigour........
                            And on that last point, you are delusional. I’ve quoted to you before the contributions made from then US, Russia, Canada, Australia, India etc. etc, in terms of men and materiel, and they dwarf the contributions made by Britain.

Even when ‘plucky little Britain’ was standing alone, they were far from alone.

Its deeply insulting to those who sacrificed that you continue to peddle this myth.

Comment

• Bonekicker
                              Bonekicker commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yep - havnt we had this conversation with Mark before?
                              You would have thought the international nature of the D-Day commemorations would have demonstrated the fallacy of 'Britain Alone'.
                          Working...
                          X