Record heatwaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record heatwaves

At the moment, the weather, here in Boston is 78 degrees, delightful summer temperature. Record temperatures in Europe are much higher. Especially in France and Germany. The current president, Donald Trump said, climate change is a hoax. Did he not finally admit that climate change was taking place, but not too concerned about it? Hard to keep track of what he says or do.

I saw something that I have never seen before in today's heatwave. Two birds flat out in the back garden lying on the grass. Too tired to fly or just resting in the heat.

Comment

78 °F is a balmy 25.5 °C. We're currently suffering from just under 40 °C (104 °F)

Steve

Comment

34C where I am PHEW!!

Comment

Phew, What A Scorcher!!

It's hovering from 36-37 °C here in the London suburbs - I'm melting, despite having the fans on and drinking plenty of fluids

Steve

Comment

36 °C now

Supposed to be thunderstorms later like the other night.

Comment

Yes, we have abrupt runaway climate change. Bit of a giggle, isn't it? Just wait until it's a regular occurrence as we get deeper into the 2020s. I do admire young Greta Thunberg, but even if we stopped using all fossil fuels (FF) tomorrow, their after-effects would keep warming the world for at least another 40 years. And then there are several other feedback effects, like the industrial particulates that cause an amount of 'global dimming', which would then drop out of the atmosphere causing even more warming if we stopped burning FF.

I've been reading about this stuff since around 2010. Matters are not improving. Here's a piece from 2014:

http://arctic-news.blogspot.com/2014...ming-veil.html

At the time I thought it was extreme. Now I'm not so sure.

Comment

• Bonekicker
                Bonekicker commented
                Editing a comment
                Someone posted a screenshot from Twitter of a 2007 Attenborough documentary where they suggested that an ordinary summer in 2020 might reach 28c..

Even at 10pm, its going to be 31c here. We have had to put a fan by the fridge freezer to cool it - its struggling that much, and my dog isnt going to be shut in a single room tonight - the day has been way too hot for a Black Labrador!

And the Arctic is actually burning.

• garth
                garth commented
                Editing a comment
                I missed your comment. Yes, it's horrendous. I have watched Guy McPherson and his site "Nature bats last" with interest. At first I found him extreme. Now I think he is only slightly extreme. The 2020s will be harsh, but by 2030, a lot of us humans will be gone, and by 2040, most of us. We've been heating the atmosphere since around 1700 when the first steam engines came on stream. Given the amount of burning we do every day, and with an expanding population, it's impossible to turn this around. Can you turn a tanker on a sixpence? No.

It's going to be the norm now I think. I just hope it doesn't last too long.
              Last year I came back to England permanently after living in Australia for over 30 years.
              I was actually looking forward to a cold Winter but apart from a week or two it was quite mild!

Comment

Originally posted by wadsy View Post
                It's going to be the norm now I think. I just hope it doesn't last too long.
                Last year I came back to England permanently after living in Australia for over 30 years.
                I was actually looking forward to a cold Winter but apart from a week or two it was quite mild!
                The winter before was horribly cold in England - a really long, morale-sapping slog for months on end.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Fryer View Post

The winter before was horribly cold in England - a really long, morale-sapping slog for months on end.
                  I can always go back!lol

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post

Supposed to be thunderstorms later like the other night.
                    That’s just started down here. A few flashes of lightning then an almighty clap of thunder and then a brief shower of rain

Steve

Comment

Is it just me or was it a bit chilly today? Must turn the thermostat up!

Comment

I was at Lords today and melted into my seat.
                        Unless you were around in 1976 you really haven't seen anything.
                        To those of you obsessed with climate change bear in mind that the climate is always changing.Only a few thousand years ago this island was covered by ice.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                          Unless you were around in 1976 you really haven't seen anything.
                          To those of you obsessed with climate change bear in mind that the climate is always changing.Only a few thousand years ago this island was covered by ice.
                          Yes I remember the 1976 summer very well - just finished my third year at junior school. And I remember all the "experts" at the time saying that we were heading for another ice age in the not too distant future.

Comment

• Bonekicker
                            Bonekicker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The experts werent - the media got hold of a single paper and talked endlessly about it. The experts knew better.

I remember 1976 as well - I was 9 at the time, and it was so sapping. We just dont do extremes of temperature in the UK, and really are not prepared for it.

• Carl V
                            Carl V commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I was 10 in the summer of '76. You're right, it was a long summer, but as kids we were happy - mind you, the prospect of 6 or 7 weeks school summer holiday was in itself cause for celebration for us youngsters. However there was relief and rejoicing when the rain finally arrived.

Originally posted by orpheum View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	CEO-Magazine-Ostrich-strategy.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	75035

Comment

• orpheum
                            orpheum commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Clearly you either didn't read or understand my post.Better to make a constructive commenthe than resort to insults
                        Working...
                        X