Two mass shootings in America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two mass shootings in America

well, it happened again. Within a 24 hour period two mass shootings took place. Many are dead, many more are injured. Assault rifle, at least in one of the shootings. What is going to be done? Nothing. Town hall or city hall meetings, politicians talking, the powerful NRA, saying guns don’t kill people. Perhaps it their had been a registry or laws where people would have to get permission to buy an assault rifle, this might have been prevented. Brit movie forum readers, planning on a trip to North America? By pass the U.S.A. And visit Montreal. Montreal is a beautiful city, vibrant, French culture city, lot to see and do here, and, compared to our southern neighbour, safe.

Originally posted by Swenson View Post
    Brit movie forum readers, planning on a trip to North America? By pass the U.S.A. And visit Montreal. Montreal is a beautiful city, vibrant, French culture city, lot to see and do here, and, compared to our southern neighbour, safe.
    Don’t be absurd, I’ve traveled to the US many times and never even seen a crime, violent or otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post

Don’t be absurd, I’ve traveled to the US many times and never even seen a crime, violent or otherwise
      Let’s face it, the USA is one of the most violent places on earth for some groups (& for some random people). If you’ve never seen a crime there then you’re very lucky. Or maybe you were really in the United States of Canada.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Let’s face it, the USA is one of the most violent places on earth for some groups (& for some random people). If you’ve never seen a crime there then you’re very lucky. Or maybe you were really in the United States of Canada.

Steve
        I’d imagine the vast majority of people visiting the US have never been the victim of a crime. So It is patently absurd to suggest that anyone from this forum is taking their lives in their hands visiting the US.

And frankly, it’s trite and offensive to open a thread on these tragic mass shooting with a promotion for Canadian tourism.

Comment

The US is not, for most people, a violent or crime ridden country. But, if you look at crimes involving guns, it is an outlier compared with the rest of the Western World. Other countries do have video games, poverty, angry people, insane people and terrorists - all of which are things that US politicians are trying to blame for such violence instead of shootings. But the US has a huge number of mass shootings, vastly more than other countries.

The 1994 Crime Bill led to the banning of many types of assault rifle. Mass shootings decreased by 43%. The Republicans allowed that part of the Act to lapse, and mass shootings went up over 200%.

This is a database of mass shootings in the States , which includes the one in California, but not the two latest. A decade ago, the FBI recognised that the biggest threat in terms of terrorism to the US domestically was not from Islamic extremism, but from home grown radicalisation of the right. The Republicans shut that study down, but thats exactly whats happened in El Paso - terrorism.

Its not just access to guns, and military calibre automatic (or semi automatic) weapons, although that means you can kill a lot of people very quickly (the Ohio shooter killed nine people within minutes), but radicalisation of those that carry out such crimes. The El Paso shooter, like so many others in the past two years, had a manifesto of hatred towards minorities. Who is also using that sort of rhetoric? The President of the United States. Thoughts and prayers...

Comment

What took place in America is tragic, but, please don’t accuse me Promoting Canadian tourism.

Comment

I, myself, witness a possible shooting, way back in 1994. I was in a K. Mart store in Indiana. A few days before July 4rth. Our Independence Day. Around 4 PM, all of a sudden, the police arrived, and the store was evacuated. The problem , a fired employee got hold of a rifle, came back to the store, wanting to shoot up the store and kill his employer. By luck, the police was able to confine him before shooting anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Swenson View Post
                What took place in America is tragic, but, please don’t accuse me Promoting Canadian tourism.
                Then why say “visit Montreal...beautiful, vibrant, French culture...”. in a post that starts off by talking about gun crime?

Comment

This is all going to be yesterday's news when things kick off in Kashmir - this is what happens when all the adults leave the room

Comment

Prèsident Trump was on the news today. He was horrified at what took place in America. He said they were mentally sick. True, I don’t disagree with him, but, the Texas shooter, who is alive, is cooperating with authorities. Trump, is partially responsible. Texas , I think is a death penalty state. Hopefully they will execute this person.

Comment

The coverage of Trump addressing a rally of loyal Trumpians where he shouts about an "invasion" of illegal immigrants & he laughs
                      when a yob in the crowd yells out "shoot them" is totally disgusting!
                      Unfortunately (& I pray I'm wrong) I can't see a Democrat nominee giving Trump any serious competition in the 2020 election.
                      This dangerous loose cannon will be around for another term methinks!

Comment

I hate to think about this, I predict another mass shooting will take place in America before the end of 2019. I hope I am wrong. Wadsy statement, methinks, is probably true. Donald Trump will probably end up in the White House a second term.
                        Last edited by Swenson; 6th August 2019, 12:51 PM. Reason: Additional

Comment

I don’t think you can draw a direct correlation between Trump and mass shootings in the US. This latest one may, or may not, have been inspired by his rhetoric but the same cant be said for the dozens and dozens of incidents that have taken place over the last three decades. Trump’s election may have galvanized and given voice to an unpleasant element within American society but he hasn’t singlehandedly made the country a more dangerous place.

Comment

Can someone please summarise for me (it's NOT a rhetorical question) how and why the NRA continue to wield so much power within the USA? Don't worry about appearing patronising; I have always been and thus far remain puzzled as to the awesome leverage this body seemingly wields. Why is it taking so long to go the way of, say, the Temperance Society?

Comment

Originally posted by Tonch View Post
                              Can someone please summarise for me (it's NOT a rhetorical question) how and why the NRA continue to wield so much power within the USA?
                              They have approx 5.5 million members so that means VOTES!!

No president would ever pass legislation to outlaw guns for ever as that would lose them votes.

"In 2016 the NRA spent $4m on lobbying and direct contributions to politicians as well as more than $50m on political advocacy, including an estimated $30m to help elect Donald Trump president.

Its overall annual budget is roughly $250m, allocated to educational programmes, gun facilities, membership events, sponsorships, legal advocacy and related efforts."

"More than just the numbers, however, the NRA has developed a reputation in Washington as a political force that can make or break even the strongest politicians.

It grades politicians on their votes and directs its resources and those of its membership - both financial and organisational - to supporting its fiercest advocates and defeating staunch opponents."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41489552
                              Last edited by Metro1962; 6th August 2019, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• Bonekicker
                                Bonekicker commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Gun owners who feel very strongly about firearms tend to regard that as a key issue to vote on. People who want gun control may equal or exceed those numbers but they generally dont regard it as their number one issue. Its not just numbers, its concentration of numbers, as well as the financial lobbying and support that takes place.

That NRA support was very important to Trumps election, because (being Trump) he essentially got other people to help pay for his campaign. It was also in part essentially illegal -.https://www.motherjones.com/politics...l-advertising/ . The NRA did the same with the Senate.

Ironically, the NRA is starting to fall apart. The Obama presidency was great for the gun manufacturers, because the NRA (who they help fund) kept telling everyone that Obama was about to take their guns and ammo, even though they never did. So people bough a lot more. Under Trump, you dont need to. So they are selling less.

There are financial scandals surrounding their leadership, their TV channel closed, the Russian agent that gained influence with senior members has been jailed https://www.motherjones.com/politics...nvestigations/ , and after Parkland, some GOP candidates have begun to (gently) edge away https://www.motherjones.com/politics...-cashing-them/

There are pretty much no Republican Senators that want to go on TV and talk about El Paso and guns - its still hopes and prayers, and thats it.

Trump was just 2% ahead of a notional Dem challenger in a recent poll in Texas.That might be an outlier, but several GOP House members from Texas will not be running in 2020. If soccer moms get angry about guns, then trying to win their husbands using NRA money might not work, and actually be counter productive.
                            Working...
                            X