Daylight savings time/ change the clocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

You don’t say why you don’t like the existing system. You just offer alternatives but no reason why anything should be changed.

Usually I hear plenty of reasons why people like (or don’t like) the current system. The (did)advantages with the current system can be more (or fewer) hours of daylight in the mornings or in the evenings. It generally depends on if you’re a morning or an evening person. But no change to GCT or any other system will actually give you more hours of daylight. If that’s what you really want then the only way is to move to a different latitude (or hemisphere).

Steve
    I was proposing changing by half an hour and then staying with that all year round to avoid the need to change the clocks twice a year.

I was wondering whether a working day would be better if it was symmetrical about mid-day so the evenings and mornings were equally light / dark, to avoid driving either to or from work in the dark when it was still light at the other end of the day. Are there any statistics as to whther there are more car crashes and people being hit by cars in the morning or the evening - when people haven't yet woken up properly or are tired at the end of a day's work, assuming that it is equally dark in both cases.

I can vaguely remember the experiment in the late 60s when there was no change in the hour, but I can't remember whether it was permanent GMT or permanent BST.. I remember all of us at primary school were given fluorescent armbands and straps to put on our satchels. so we could be seen better when crossing the road in the dark, but I've no idea whether it was dak mornings or dark evenings that were the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by martinu View Post

I was proposing changing by half an hour and then staying with that all year round to avoid the need to change the clocks twice a year.
      But then our time wouldn’t line up with the time in any other country. Can you imagine the announcements “It’s 10 o’clock in Paris, half past 10 in London.” Total chaos.

Unless you you can get all of the other countries in the world to go along with your crazy scheme. Including the countries that currently don’t use daylight saving.

No chance

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

But then our time wouldn’t line up with the time in any other country. Can you imagine the announcements “It’s 10 o’clock in Paris, half past 10 in London.” Total chaos.

Unless you you can get all of the other countries in the world to go along with your crazy scheme. Including the countries that currently don’t use daylight saving.

No chance

Steve
        All the other "countries" agree .... ?? Bl00dy hell, this country (Australia) can't even get all the STATES to agree. Following the commencement of daylight saving (NOTE : NO 'S' !!!) time, there are now 6 time zones now effective across Australia. Absolutely pathetic.

And it's simply because the federal government is as weak as p1ss to enforce the section of the constitution that allows the federal government to enforce laws about measurement (e.g. decimalisation ... money, weights, measures) BUT THEY WOULD NOT DO TIME (which is a measurement!!), because curmudgeon states like Queensland didn't want the extra sunlight fading the curtains or keeping the kids awake at night.
        Last edited by arthur linden-jones; 9th November 2019, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Doesn't bother me, as long as I remember to change those pesky manual clocks!

Comment

I'd like to cancel the clock transfer, too. It's bad for my health.

Comment

Working...
            X